Best Hazy IPA recipe you've ever created/brewed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrewer20

Reaction score
Just kegged what I think will be the best Hazy ever

Cryo pop hops, mixed with mosaic and a hint of nelson..

It's carbonation under pressure currently and I'll know for sure if it's that good in a week or so.
If it is, I'll share the recipe with you guys! It's one my roommate created, and I put my own spin on it.
What's your fav hazy you've brewed?

Last edited:
I like hazy's but my idea of the perfect recipe is probably different than others. I like some bitterness in there and I don't really care how hazy it is. I have concentrated on getting the right juicy quality (for my taste) and have settled on the below:

STATS
OG: 1.066, FG: 1.015

6.7% ABV

140 Cl: 60 SO4

4.5g wort into fermenter (I ferment in a keg)

MASH

152 for 60 mins

MALT

40% 2 row (1.8l)
37% maris otter
18% white wheat malt
5% Simpson golden naked oats

Yeast: wyeast London Ale 3 (Verdant Dry also works well). Direct pitch.

HOPPING

35ibus @ 60 mins (magnum, warrior, nugget, whatever)

Hops
1oz each of Citra, mosiac, amarillo @ flame out

1oz each of Citra, mosiac, amarillo @ 160 Degrees. I stop actively cooling for 30 min (hop stand)

Dry hop
1.5oz each of Citra, mosiac, amarillo Dry hop on day 3.

Ferment@ 67 for approx. 9 days

Last edited:
I like hazy's but my idea of the perfect recipe is probably different than others. I like some bitterness in there and I don't really care how hazy it is. I have concentrated on getting the right juicy quality (for my taste) and have settled on the below:

STATS
OG: 1.066, FG: 1.015

6.7% ABV

140 Cl: 60 SO4

4.5g wort into fermenter (I ferment in a keg)

MASH

152 for 60 mins

MALT

40% 2 row (1.8l)
37% maris otter
18% white wheat malt
5% Simpson golden naked oats

Yeast: wyeast London Ale 3 (Verdant Dry also works well). Direct pitch.

HOPPING

35ibus @ 60 mins (magnum, warrior, nugget, whatever)

Hops
1oz each of Citra, mosiac, amarillo @ flame out

1oz each of Citra, mosiac, amarillo @ 160 Degrees. I stop actively cooling for 30 min (hop stand)

Dry hop
1.5oz each of Citra, mosiac, amarillo Dry hop on day 3.

Ferment@ 67 for approx. 9 days
I also ferment in a keg (with filtered floating dip tube). How do you dry hop? Just open the lid and toss them in? I guess if you’re doing it at day 3 there isn’t much harm from oxygen. I brew 3 gallon batches and ferment in 5 gallon kegs, so I’m afraid to do that because of all the extra headspace. I typically just stay away from brewing dry hopped beers because of that.

I also ferment in a keg (with filtered floating dip tube). How do you dry hop? Just open the lid and toss them in? I guess if you’re doing it at day 3 there isn’t much harm from oxygen. I brew 3 gallon batches and ferment in 5 gallon kegs, so I’m afraid to do that because of all the extra headspace. I typically just stay away from brewing dry hopped beers because of that.
I've dry hopped at day 3, day 7, after carbonation as well, just toss them in and purge.. No oxidation.. I think most people over think it..

Yeah, I ruined one doing it that way once, but I think I dry hopped after active fermentation. I also think fermenting 3 gallons in a 5 gallon keg may leave too much headspace. Regardless, it is never fun to dump beer - especially heavily hopped $$$ beers.

Yes, I just open the lid an drop them in. I like to dry hop during active fermentation mainly to mitigate oxygen and second to chase the biotransformation unicorn.

One nice thing about fermenting in a keg is it is pretty easy to purge the heads space after making any additions to the fermenter. If I missed the active fermentation window I would just purge the head space after dry hopping. I have done that multiple times with good outcomes.

Yes, I just open the lid an drop them in. I like to dry hop during active fermentation mainly to mitigate oxygen and second to chase the biotransformation unicorn.

One nice thing about fermenting in a keg is it is pretty easy to purge the heads space after making any additions to the fermenter. If I missed the active fermentation window I would just purge the head space after dry hopping. I have done that multiple times with good outcomes.
After fermenting in a keg with the floating diptube, I'll never do the carboys again.. Kegs are the way to go..

Amen.

I may go stainless steel conical one day, but for 2.5-3 gallon batches, can’t beat fermenting in a 5 gallon corny keg with a filtered floating dip tube.

Amen.

I may go stainless steel conical one day, but for 2.5-3 gallon batches, can’t beat fermenting in a 5 gallon corny keg with a filtered floating dip tube.
I go 4.5 gallons in my 5 gallon corny keg, and 5.5 gallons in my 6 gallon keg when fermenting. No problems yet! 6 gallons are really perfect for the 5 gallon.. I dump everything from the kettle in as well, trub and all

It's a toss-up between the Treehouse Brewing Orange Julius clone and the Weldwerks Brewing Juicy Bits clone.
Both of them are stellar representations of the style...

Cheers!
Never heard of Treehouse brewery.. Where can I view the recipes?

I live in north Idaho, it's extremely hard to find beers that aren't from the local area here. Every once in a while I can find something from the San Diego area, but unless it's an extremely popular beer, I'll never see it here.. Mostly we get beers from Washington, Oregon, and Montana which are great, but would be nice for a change.. I need to start doing beer road trips I guess and visit all the great micro breweries.. The east coast is a bit far from me though

I drove across Idaho a couple of times, once right through Coeur d'Alene, where I picked up a wizened old dude who couldn't have broken 5'2", who was packing this cap and ball six shooter and for whatever reason was just itching to blow up highway signs on I90. That was fun!

Cheers! :D

I drove across Idaho a couple of times, once right through Coeur d'Alene, where I picked up a wizened old dude who couldn't have broken 5'2", who was packing this cap and ball six shooter and for whatever reason was just itching to blow up highway signs on I90. That was fun!

Cheers! :D
Sounds like north Idaho!!

Well....Gotta say, ^that^ immediately made me think "Wait - the dude's in friggin' ALASKA, FFS. How could he know much about...anything ;)"
Anyway...

As for the "gotta be world famous by now" Treehouse Brewing Julius...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/treehouse-brewing-julius-clone.437096/
and for Juicy Bits...well, you could go straight to Weldwerks...

https://beerandbrewing.com/weldwerks-brewing-co-juicy-bits-new-england-style-ipa/
Cheers!
I was fortunate to live right down the road from Anchorage Brewing in 2019, love their stuff.. I've checked out the top 100 and looks like they have a few in their too, although I didn't see any hazies, which is odd.. I'm excited now to try to find a treehouse beer, I'm gonna ask around the bottle shops in CDA and spokane and see if I can find something..

Last edited:
Treehouse doesn’t distribute or wholesale their beers except directly from them in MA. So if you find anything by them in a bottle shop, that’s illegally being resold. Not only that but I wouldn’t trust that you’ll get a fresh (or maybe even real) can.

I’m far from an expert but I’ve had a ton of NEIPAs in the NE region having lived here essentially since it’s inception. I believe Treehouse is the pinnacle of the NEIPA style.

As an occasional attendee at their Charlton operation I can't argue that Treehouse makes some inspirational neipas :)

That said, we in New England are totally blessed with an embarrassment of excellent breweries - one can barely swing a dead cat* without slamming into another one. A couple weeks ago I happened upon the Rek'-Lis Brewery up in Bethlehem, Cow Hampster, and indulged in their Pretentious Hopper neipa, which was an excellent example, sporting mass quantities of the Citra, Mosaic, and Amarillo hop strains which put it solidly in the wheelhouse of the style.

And this week we visited the "Bull Spit Brewing Company" tavern over in Maynard, Massachusetts, for a Sunday afternoon of loaded nachos and their Hop Yard neipa - which was excellent!

So...I've been quite pleased with the trend hereabouts, having taste buds well past the "lupulin shift" always looking for "Mo' flava!"! :D

Cheers! (* Tom Sawyer-ish reference. No actual cats were harmed in the drafting of this post)

As an occasional attendee at their Charlton operation I can't argue that Treehouse makes some inspirational neipas :)

That said, we in New England are totally blessed with an embarrassment of excellent breweries - one can barely swing a dead cat* without slamming into another one. A couple weeks ago I happened upon the Rek'-Lis Brewery up in Bethlehem, Cow Hampster, and indulged in their Pretentious Hopper neipa, which was an excellent example, sporting mass quantities of the Citra, Mosaic, and Amarillo hop strains which put it solidly in the wheelhouse of the style.

And this week we visited the "Bull Spit Brewing Company" tavern over in Maynard, Massachusetts, for a Sunday afternoon of loaded nachos and their Hop Yard neipa - which was excellent!

So...I've been quite pleased with the trend hereabouts, having taste buds well past the "lupulin shift" always looking for "Mo' flava!"! :D

Cheers! (* Tom Sawyer-ish reference. No actual cats were harmed in the drafting of this post)
Next time you’re in Maynard, check out Amory's Tomb Brewing Co. - great guys and great beer!

Huh - how long has that been there? Gotta hit it soon!
We had a nice Sunday lunch over at Bull Spit last weekend, so we do go over to "The Big City" on occasion 😁
Next time we'll investigate the Tomb (it does look rather dark here)...

Cheers!

1655412398269.png

Huh - how long has that been there? Gotta hit it soon!
We had a nice Sunday lunch over at Bull Spit last weekend, so we do go over to "The Big City" on occasion 😁
Next time we'll investigate the Tomb (it does look rather dark here)...

Cheers!

View attachment 772025
about 5 years now! they have a little outdoor space in the alley between the two bldgs (to the left in this photo). they're really quite good.

Jeeze, I've probably coasted past it a hundred times and never noticed it.
Thanks for the heads up!

Wasn't there a restaurant/pub across the street from the Mill named "Amory's" many years ago? I think it was in this building?

1655419253192.png

Cheers!

Jeeze, I've probably coasted past it a hundred times and never noticed it.
Thanks for the heads up!

Wasn't there a restaurant/pub across the street from the Mill named "Amory's" many years ago? I think it was in this building?

View attachment 772035

Cheers!
Hmm, not sure. When I first moved to Maynard there was a restaurant there (Blue Coyote? Or something) but it closed during covid.

Maynard is named after Amory Maynard, the founder (whose tomb is in the big cemetery in town), so I wouldn’t be surprised if there had been a cafe named that.

Back