Best grain mill in your opinion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just came across this one on ebay for $60...anyone have one of these? The grammar indicates an overseas mfg.

https://www.ebay.com/c/6036426451
It indeed screams China-made. As is most stuff we get, but these just look more like a toy.

Scale!
Looking at the dimensions pic, the hopper is only 8.5"x8.5" square. That's kinda small. Rollers are maybe 5" long, 6" for the frame, overall. And inconclusive what material, perhaps stainless?

I may just get a Malt Muncher if it is having those sorts of issues.

So tired of my broke*** mill.

SLOW at 40 rpm, but it does the job.
The specs claim:
Output Efficiency: 13-22lbs/hour (!)
That would mean around 3 minutes per pound at best.

That sounds really slooow. Is that 40 rpm under load or perhaps much less?
Compared to my Monster Mill at 150-160 rpm, it chews through 12 pounds in less than 5 minutes (a wild guess, I never really timed it).

It's cheap Chinese crap, but it does the job and seems very heavily built.
Which is it? Cheap crap or heavily built and functional? The other reviews on Amazon make it sound pretty bad.

I did cover these mills and every other aspect of milling in my **************** article:
https://***************.com/wiki/Milling
I believe I've helped answer a lot of questions people have. I'd appreciate any of you taking a look to make sure everything is accurate.

Cheers

Which is it? Cheap crap or heavily built and functional? The other reviews on Amazon make it sound pretty bad.

I did cover these mills and every other aspect of milling in my **************** article:
https://***************.com/wiki/Milling
I believe I've helped answer a lot of questions people have. I'd appreciate any of you taking a look to make sure everything is accurate.

Cheers
Great Article, very well done!!

My experience with the Vevor has been good. The base fits the top of my mash-tun (cooler), so I just fill the hopper, turn it on and walk away. Its heavy enough that it won't walk off the cooler. The rollers are adjustable and the set screws work well holding the gap.
I like that the motor has a gear reduction unit and is mounted to a heavy metal plate. Not a speck of wood or press board on it.

Your video shows a Capt. Crush mill. I had one of these but could never get it to work and sent it back. The Capt. also has a ton of bad reviews, but as with everything, YMMV.

Cheers!

Great Article, very well done!!

My experience with the Vevor has been good. The base fits the top of my mash-tun (cooler), so I just fill the hopper, turn it on and walk away. Its heavy enough that it won't walk off the cooler. The rollers are adjustable and the set screws work well holding the gap.
I like that the motor has a gear reduction unit and is mounted to a heavy metal plate. Not a speck of wood or press board on it.

Your video shows a Capt. Crush mill. I had one of these but could never get it to work and sent it back. The Capt. also has a ton of bad reviews, but as with everything, YMMV.

Cheers!
The Captian Crush mill is not for the faint of heart but I still like mine. I need to blow it out after each use with compressed air due to grains getting between the rollers and end plate causing additional friction which won't allow the free wheeling rollers spin with the friction of the grain. I may try conditioning my grain to see if that helps.

Bought my Monster Mill crusher several years back. When they were new to the market. Opted for the 2" hardened steel rollers (after conversations with the maker). Stainless didn't have even close to the life span of the hardened steel rollers. Upgraded from the smaller, to the 2" diameter rollers. At the time, I was replacing the Barley Crusher that just wasn't up to the task. I used my DeWalt hammer drill (18v) to run both and that was 'OK'.

When I got back into brewing earlier this year (after about a 5ish year gap) I decided I wanted to put the mill on a motor. Looked at my different options and ended up getting the motor assembly from Monster. I had to make a spacer/riser for the mill, since the motor was setup for their 3 roller mills). But that was easy enough (have milling machine, will make). Made a cart to hold both (locking caster wheels on it) so that I can store it easily and then just pull it out when needed. I also made a 'lid' for the hopper to keep things from going into it from above.

When I originally bought the mill, I also got the hopper extension. Gives me a 33# grain capacity. I've put almost that much into the hopper before.

Crushing grain with a drill would eat through batteries pretty fast. When I was brewing with a friend (we would both brew our own recipes at his place, so two mashes going at one time) it would either deplete, or damned close to it, a single battery towards the end. IIRC, there were a couple of times where I was glad I had a second battery with me (we needed it) even though the first was fully charged. With the amount of torque the drill used to get the rollers started, it was a bit rough to hold onto the drill. I didn't have it mounted to anything (the drill) since I used that drill for everything.

Now I have 20v tools (got rid of the old 18v tools) and had no plans to get a drill to use with the crusher. I know plenty of people do it, but I can simply load up the hopper, flip the switch, and watch the grain rain into the catch container. Depending on the recipe, will determine if I need to stop the crush to put a second container under to catch the grain.

IF I was on the market for a new mill, for home brewing (not commercial level), I'd be looking at another one from Monster Mill. I'd probably go with the three roller, geared model. But, since my current Monster is still healthy and happy to crush my grain, I'm going to keep it in service. ;)

I'm of the mind of "buy once, cry once" in most things. While there are higher cost/tier barley mills out there, I'm very happy with what I have. Solid customer service also goes a LONG way with me. With the amount I'm currently brewing, I don't expect to have any issues with the Monster for my lifetime.

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the mill master yet (from mash master out of Australia). Geared, fluted rollers made of hardened stainless steel, and works great. A bit pricey, but probably belongs in a conversation about the best home grain mills.

I drive it with a surplus Bodine 42R 1/6 hp ac gear motor at about 85 rpm, permanently mounted to a plywood stand configured to let a hardware store 5 gal. bucket slide closely underneath.

Just got a cereal killer mill for Christmas based on the recommendation of several respected posters in this thread. Will be brewing on the New Year's weekend and will post about how it functions.

Thanks guys!

Back