What To Look For in a Grain Mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphoppotamuss

Reaction score
Now that I’m up to brewing 8-10 batches a year, I think it’s finally time to bite the bullet and get my own grain mill. I do mainly BIAB 5 gallon batches.

Should I splurge for the 3 roller or will a 2 roller suffice? Which brands are high quality and which should I steer away from? Anything else I should seek out or avoid?

Thanks!!! 🍻

MaltMuncher Grain Mill 3 Roller works great for me, I had the 2 mill it was fine for years but whatever i did to it. It wont hold a proper gap anymore. I think the 3 mill is probably worth the little extra cash for milling really fine for BIAB. My efficiency is around 82ish%. You could just run it threw the 2mill twice though if money matters more than time.

No need to really overthink it. I'm going on 12 years with my Corona mill, and it's seen 400+lbs/ year for the last five years.
Yep! I have only ever used a Corona. Couldn’t say how much grain I have put through it, but in the hundreds of pounds. Heck, I’ve probably ground 100 lbs of whole corn for my chickens! 🐓
I did recently pick up a motorized two-roller mill in a Craigslist bulk buy. I will eventually give it a try. I may even ditch the hand drill and go back to hand cranking the Corona. It just feels more like “making beer” when I hand mill the grain. But what do I know; I like heating my water on a wood stove. 😜

Corona's are sturdy and do the job, used one back in the '90s and still have it. Though I found it hard to get optimal crush without grinding up the hulls more than wanted. Then got a two roller, (BC) on which rollers wore out after 50 or so 20# crushes.

Am very happy with three roller Kegland, over 100 batches so far. Fairly inexpensive and easier to adjust and better feed than two roller. Using a variable speed drill that is powerful enough to go slow works well enough for me, though I'm sure the gear drive ones are nice if one wants to spend more.

I'd advise to avoid Barley Crusher, rollers not hardened enough hold up, then it stops feeding.

MaltMuncher Grain Mill 3 Roller works great for me, I had the 2 mill it was fine for years but whatever i did to it. It wont hold a proper gap anymore. I think the 3 mill is probably worth the little extra cash for milling really fine for BIAB. My efficiency is around 82ish%. You could just run it threw the 2mill twice though if money matters more than time.

I've been eyeballing that for 3 months now. Is it a lot faster than the 2 roll? I don't NEED another mill, but my current one is patched up a bit...

I think my Corona style mill was about $20 and now I see them on Amazon for $17. The OP is planning to BIAB. Corona mills are well suited to that as it doesn't matter if the hulls are shredded or if the particles are smaller. Smaller is better as faster and more complete conversion is achieved and the bag is the filter so there is no reliance on the intact husks.

The difference between the cost of the Corona mill and the Malt Muncher will buy a lot of ingredients and it is ingredients that make beer, not the mill.

I think my Corona style mill was about $20 and now I see them on Amazon for $17. The OP is planning to BIAB. Corona mills are well suited to that as it doesn't matter if the hulls are shredded or if the particles are smaller. Smaller is better as faster and more complete conversion is achieved

I use a Corona as well, but do a conventional mash. When I started out this way, I had a great fear of a stuck mash. However, I brewed for several years this way before it eventually happened. Then, all I did was stuck my long spoon in a couple places and the flow returned; no problems. I’m likely running a little finer than a typical crush, but I have not missed a target OG.
I use a regular false bottom in my mash tun, and have not had a problem with fines coming through, but have wondered if anyone has ever used a bag in the mash tun in the same manner as the BIAB, but just for filtering and lifting for additional drainage.

I have to say that the best mill I’ve seen is the Crankenstein geared. I’m not buying a mill, but a modern choice is geared. Not geared, ain’t buy’n your 💩

Yup. This is the image of my next mill - if I ever need a "next mill" 😁

Suhweet!
1705189378474.png

Cheers!

I have the morebeer Mighty Mill 3 roller as well, and love it. I've had two others (off brand and one a friend gave me) that were two-rollers; both were lackluster. The thing I like most about the geared 3-roller is I can dump the grain in the hopper before starting the drill (most days, sometimes it's squiffy and won't do it) and it will take off.

My wife bought me mine for Xmas or my birthday. I would probably have not bought new, but she did. It is a 2 roller and it instantly made a huge difference in my efficiency. Going back, for those who remember, the guy who gave me literally all his beer equipment had a really cool 2 roller that he put a motor on and made a base for it to fit over a bucket. It was huge and I had no room, but now I wish I would have taken it just because it looked so cool. I am going to have to see how he is doing, really a hell of a nice guy. Anyway, off thread, but for me I look at the used market now as there is tons of stuff people are almost giving away simply because they don't brew any more.

Back