Belgian wit...will the yeast flavor fade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew2enjoy

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this but here goes.

I brewed a AHS Belgian White using Wyeast belgian witbier 3944 yeast. Fermented in the mid 60s for 4 weeks and bottled. Its been in bottles for 4 weeks now and it still has a very strong fruity twang from the yeast. I know this is a characteristic of belgian ales but it's way too overpowering. I can drink one and thats it. If I smell the glass afterwards I feel like I'm going to hurl.

My question is simple, will storing the bottles at room temp for a longer period help that smell/taste to fade a little?

Unlikely to fade. You can get some of the yeast to drop by storing them cold for a week or four, but most of the fruitiness isn't from the actual yeast in suspension, but esthers produced by the yeast during fermentation.

What else is in their recipe. The fruity flavor is characteristic of the yeast and style and probably won't fade, but it shouldn't make you vomit either.

Kaz said:
What else is in their recipe. The fruity flavor is characteristic of the yeast and style and probably won't fade, but it shouldn't make you vomit either.

Typical witbier ingredients. Bitter orange Peel and coriander. Its definitely the yeast because it had the same smell when I made the starter.

Back