Belgian Wit Beer Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyness

Reaction score
I brewed Belgian Wit Beer Brewcraft USA recipe kit last Saturday. Everything went well with the brew, pinched the yeast and it started the fermentation process. It started bubbling up about an inch or so in the glass carboy. It was at 72 degrees. I moved it to my basement where it was about 67 degrees (ideal according to kit is 68). Now almost a week out the bubbling and foaming has seemed to stop. There are some particles floating and a random bubble here or there. I filled up the airlock when putting it to ferment to the max line with sanitized water as instructed. However not out of the side that returns to the beer, the water is gone. The other side still has a good bit in it. This is my first brew with my kit. I have just done the brewing part in the past with friends, never been hands on with the fermenting process. Any guidance or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Jim:confused:

It sounds like you're using an s-airlock which is the sort I prefer. The liquid being over on one side means that there's gas pushing against it out of the fermenter. That's good. Let it ride in the primary two weeks from brew day, check gravity. Check again in four days. If the readings are the same, it's ready to bottle.

If you don't already have some StarSan, get some. 1/5th an ounce makes a gallon of reusable no-rinse sanitizer. Use it on anything that touches the brew after the wort starts chilling. Fill a new spray bottle with some. Use it in your airlock too.

Star San is a must in my brew cave but I use vodka in my airlocks. If you are going to bottle make sure it is done fermenting before with a hydrometer to avoid bottle bombs. I like my wits young so I keg after two weeks and start drinking once it's carbed. Also remember it's supposed to be hazy from the wheat and the belgian yeast so don't wait for it to clear, that would take months.

What yeast strain did you use?

I brewed a Wit recently with WLP400, which is notorious for being slow at low temps. By the third week, there were still visible activity in the carboy. It took a month to finish, but man was it worth the wait!

I bragged about it here

Thanks for the feedback guys! I appreciate it, I was worried about how quickly it quit with a visibly active fermentation. I will wait until the 26th and check it with the hydrometer. Should I do anything with the S-lock with sanitizer water or let it ride out as is? :)

Back