Belgian Tripel Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im about to try this batch this weekend. Anyone know if i could substitute the candi sugar for Simplicity Candi Syrup? I have some left that I'd like to use, im just unsure about the quantities

Im about to try this batch this weekend. Anyone know if i could substitute the candi sugar for Simplicity Candi Syrup? I have some left that I'd like to use, im just unsure about the quantities

All 0 srm sucrose is essentially identical. If the syrup is invert, that's just fine also.

I used the clear syrup. Morebeer was out of the sugar when I ordered. Sample tasted sweet, but it's too early to tell. I think it'll be fine.

Anyone had issues with their wlp500 starter? Mine's been going on for 36h and it doesn't seem like there's been much activity at all. Ill be measuring the gravity tonight...

Anyone had issues with their wlp500 starter? Mine's been going on for 36h and it doesn't seem like there's been much activity at all. Ill be measuring the gravity tonight...

Well, it seems to have taken off sometime today, its definitely changed color and I know have a little foam on top.

I guess I will let it on the stirplate until tomorrow, and drop it right when my wort is ready tomorrow. I would've prefered to decant since its around 1.5L, but I won't have time for a proper cold crash anyway.

So, I hit 1.090 on my FG with everything added....not sure where I went wrong in my calculations, but I'm afraid to end up with jet fuel...Should I empty my carboy a bit to make room for some water to dilute it?? I have a 6.5gal which is almost to the neck...:-/

Well....This is very, very frustrating. I am pretty much certain I wasted this batch. For the last 3 batches I had issues which caused a bad taste which I couldn't pin point...A burnt/smokey taste to my beer. I thought it was possibly the fermentation temp, or the hops I used, or something I had messed up when sanitizing. Tonight I tasted it in the hydrometer sample when I measured my FG. Again, a strong burnt/cigarette taste, much worst than the other times!! Arghh!! So frustrating, and this was a fairly expensive and big batch to make!! The good news, I guess, is that I know what happened.... It seems some air got under my biab bag and the elements where not completely submerged for just enough time for it to burn the wort...I noticed my flow wasn't great from the pump when doing high gravity beers, due to bad ciruclation and dense wort, I guess it never occured to me that I could have actually burnt the wort (I burnt an element 5-6 months ago this way...).

So...I'll let the thing ferment, just in case, but once its finished, if the taste is just as bad I'll probably throw it down the drain :(

I'll post in the ebiab section and see if I can get help to fix my system...

Well....This is very, very frustrating. I am pretty much certain I wasted this batch. For the last 3 batches I had issues which caused a bad taste which I couldn't pin point...A burnt/smokey taste to my beer. I thought it was possibly the fermentation temp, or the hops I used, or something I had messed up when sanitizing. Tonight I tasted it in the hydrometer sample when I measured my FG. Again, a strong burnt/cigarette taste, much worst than the other times!! Arghh!! So frustrating, and this was a fairly expensive and big batch to make!! The good news, I guess, is that I know what happened.... It seems some air got under my biab bag and the elements where not completely submerged for just enough time for it to burn the wort...I noticed my flow wasn't great from the pump when doing high gravity beers, due to bad ciruclation and dense wort, I guess it never occured to me that I could have actually burnt the wort (I burnt an element 5-6 months ago this way...).

So...I'll let the thing ferment, just in case, but once its finished, if the taste is just as bad I'll probably throw it down the drain :(

I'll post in the ebiab section and see if I can get help to fix my system...
I too have a system like that, and I did have the air gap / burning issue when I was getting used to it, but I was never able to taste it in the finished beer, even when the element with 50% covered with char and took a half hour scrubbing with Bar Keepers Friend to clean.

However, I definitely have had a smokey phenolic issue but was able to narrow it down to a sanitation issue on one or two specific pieces of hardware (air stone, or a plastic fermenter) that I believe led to a wild yeast taking hold. I know that my issue was not from to the element burning, because I always do 10-gallon batches, and the beer from one fermenter would be good, but from the other it would be bad. Additionally, on a batch where I had very obvious element burning issues, The Taste was not present at all.

Unfortunately that doesn't guarantee that your issue is the same as my issue, best of luck figuring it out!

I too have a system like that, and I did have the air gap / burning issue when I was getting used to it, but I was never able to taste it in the finished beer, even when the element with 50% covered with char and took a half hour scrubbing with Bar Keepers Friend to clean.

However, I definitely have had a smokey phenolic issue but was able to narrow it down to a sanitation issue on one or two specific pieces of hardware (air stone, or a plastic fermenter) that I believe led to a wild yeast taking hold. I know that my issue was not from to the element burning, because I always do 10-gallon batches, and the beer from one fermenter would be good, but from the other it would be bad. Additionally, on a batch where I had very obvious element burning issues, The Taste was not present at all.

Unfortunately that doesn't guarantee that your issue is the same as my issue, best of luck figuring it out!

Thanks for the reply. I guess sanitation may have played a part too in previous batches... I'm always very careful, but one never knows. However this time I'm pretty sure that its related to the element scorching the wort since I tasted the hydrometer sample just before filling up the carboy, thus no fermentation had taken place yet. And I still have the issue related to the pump flow which seems to empty too fast the bottom of the kettle, although I try to slow it down as much as possible... I'll have to rethink a few things, i sure don't intend to waste another batch like this :(

Just wondering if you have a way to do a partial grain recipe. I really want to try and make this but I don't have all grain setup and can't stand all extract. Thanks!

Going at it again tonight, this is my second try at this beer, first attempt went down in the toilet since I burned the wort with my element.
This time, no recirculation, I am mashing at 149F and letting it there for 90min with insulation around the kettle. Let's hope it ends better than last time!

Going at it again tonight, this is my second try at this beer, first attempt went down in the toilet since I burned the wort with my element.
This time, no recirculation, I am mashing at 149F and letting it there for 90min with insulation around the kettle. Let's hope it ends better than last time!

Well, the plan started well, i guess. I heated up my water to 160, dropped the grain in and it went to 149-150. Perfect. I insulated everything with the lid on for 90min. I switched on the 'keep warm' option on the stove, figuring it would keep the bottom warm. Fast forward 90min, I open up the lid, stir and take the temp: 160F...
I guess that keep warm option on the stove heats more than I thought! I guess if it climbed to 160 over 1.5h its not too bad...hopefully it still ferments fairly dry. Fermentation is very active anyway, there's like a small tornado going on in there!

From 1.084 to 1.01 in 1 week and there's still bubbling, maybe 1 per 30 sec. Hopefully it doesnt attenuate much more as im already close to 10% abv!

What do you guys/gals think about the 2.5qts strike water per pound/grain mash ratio as per the all grain recipe. Is this required for any particular reason? Body?

Just made the extract version and put it into the carboy a few days ago. Next time, I am going all grain on this one. The recipe looked fun, so I used it to get the "kinks" out of my brewing system after taking a 2 year break and moving from sea level to 6900 ft elevation.

My two helpful hints for anyone making this recipe:

1. Don't bother with an air lock. Just hook up a blow off tube. This baby would have overwhelmed an air lock in no time flat. With 1/2 inch tubing, I am getting ~ 1.5 bubbles per second. She is really active!

2. Allow plenty of head space. I had a 6 gallon better bottle and allowed close to a gallon of head space. It expanded to use almost all of the available space.

I am looking forward to a summer/fall tasting on this one!

From 1.084 to 1.01 in 1 week and there's still bubbling, maybe 1 per 30 sec. Hopefully it doesnt attenuate much more as im already close to 10% abv!

Wow that's super fast!
- What temp did you pitch at?
- What temp are you fermenting at?
- How did you oxygenate?
- I assume you made a big starter?

Wow that's super fast!
- What temp did you pitch at?
- What temp are you fermenting at?
- How did you oxygenate?
- I assume you made a big starter?

Made a good 2L starter. I pitched at around 62-64 and it fermented at probably around 66-67, and gradually upped the temperature after a few days. Didn't even use the blow-off tube, it just fermented steadily and seemed like a very healthy fermentation.

Just oxygenated by shaking the carboy by hand, nothing special.

It turned out awesome in the end, and only gets better with time. From the hydro readings I have something like 9.9% abv, but it doesn't taste hot or anything so I'm very happy (I was scared it'd taste too strong!) :)

Edit: actually now that I think about it, I think I did use the blow-off tube. Its the batch I did just after that for which I didn't! lol

After brewing this and drinking/sharing this Tripel and finishing off the first 10g batch, I say this recipe is a winner!
Great tripel!

This Tripel really gets better with age. Try to set some aside if you can. It was ok at 1-2 months in the bottle, but at 3-4 months it is sooo much better.

This Tripel really gets better with age. Tryntomsetmsme aside if you can. It was ok at 1-2 months in the bottle, but at 3-4 months it is sooo much better.

Yup, that's something I've noticed when using the Chimay yeast strain (WLP500) in general. If you use Duval or Westmalle, you can get "great" at two months, but you lose the Chimay character.

This Tripel really gets better with age. Tryntomsetmsme aside if you can. It was ok at 1-2 months in the bottle, but at 3-4 months it is sooo much better.

I have this recipe 2x so far and just drank the last bottle of my first batch (I bottled in Belgians and corked). It becomes spectacular at 1 year and this last bottle was 3 years old still tasting great with a straight forward graininess that I love in a good triple.

Cheers!

Found it cached on Google :rockin:

Dragonmead Final Absolution Triple Clone

AHA Style 02-C Belgian and French Ale, Tripel
Min OG: 1.060 Max OG: 1.096
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 25
Min Clr: 4 Max Clr: 6 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 16.00
Anticipated OG: 1.094 Plato: 22.49
Anticipated SRM: 5.4
Anticipated IBU: 35.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75%
Wort Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Extract SRM
80.0 12.80 lbs. Pilsener Belgium 1.071 2
10.0 1.60 lbs. Munich Malt(2-row) America 1.008 6
10.0 1.60 lbs. Candy Sugar 1.015 0

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.80 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Whole 4.50 29.7 60 min
0.40 oz. Styrian Goldings Whole 5.25 3.9 30 min
0.80 oz. Czech Saaz Whole 3.50 1.7 3 min

Yeast: White Labs WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Multi Step
Grain Lbs: 14.40
Water Qts: 36.00 Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 9.00 Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 2.50 Before Additional Infusions

Rest Temp Time
Acid Rest: 0 0 Min
Protein Rest: 140 15 Min
Intermediate Rest: 0 0 Min
Saccharification Rest: 150 60 Min
Mash-out Rest: 168 15 Min
Sparge: 168 60 Min

Total Mash Volume Gal: 10.20 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Wondering if there is a way around all of the infusion steps? Is it necessary?

i'm sure its in a previous thread and I just haven't gotten to it yet, i'm only on thread 25.

I plan to brew this beer and keg it for some mid summer deck nights. For those that have done it, did you cold condition in the kegerator or let it sit in secondary until ready to keg then carbonate?

Is there a preferred AG recipe (seems like there are a few variations) for this brew and if so does anyone know what page in the thread it's on? Thanks

Looks like the hops are listed as whole leaf. Has anyone converted this to pellets?

3 oz pellets hallertau mf 4% AA at 60 min = 27 IBU
0.8 oz pellets styrian goldings 3% AA at 30 min = 4.1 IBU
1 oz pellets saaz 3.4% AA at 3 min = 0.9 IBU

that will get you very close

I'd like to keg this instead of using bottles. How long should I let it ferment before transfer to the keg? The temperature in my house is 72-75 F right now, which I hope isn't too high for conditioning.

Hello everyone! It's been a long time since I made this recipe. I just made another batch myself... Man things have changed in my life since I first made this. I'm married now, just bought a house with my wife... I just want to thank everyone that's supported me and helped others be successful in making this! Also, apologize for criticizing some on other methods, I realize that was wrong of me and I apologize. Beer making is all about trying new things and coming up with new spin-offs. Personally just tried to dry hop the last batch I just made with Crystal hops, we'll see how it comes out! I think the combo will be amazing!

Further, I'm going to rewrite the first thread if it will let me and put in more info. Actually, i take that back... It looks like it wont let me rewrite it. Anyone know if you can edit your original post or do I need help from an Admin? I would like to get the AG recipe in there and give credit to others on helping this recipe become as soon as it is. I'm going to write up a very nice article on it.

Thanks!

HuRRiC4Ne, Just wanted to thank you for this recipe! I still have a few bombers of this, that I brewed last year, and it excellent. One the best beer I have brewed in my 3 years of brewing.

I have this fermenting right now:

O.G. 1.074
IBU 20
SRM 4.4
Size 5.3 gal

80% Pilsner malt
10% Light Munich malt
10% Sugar (boil @ 10 min)

1.0 oz Hallertauer Mittelfruh @ 60min
0.4 oz Czech Saaz @ 30 min
0.8 oz Czech Saaz @ 5 min

WLP500 Trappist Ale, vitality starter.

Mashed 60min @ 150°F single infusion
Boiled 60min

60ppm chloride, 40ppm sulfate, 5.6 mash pH

5g Fermaid O added @ 48h hopefully to reduce the time needed for aging.

Started at 65°F and increased 1°F/day.
I stole a taste today, about 4 days in... very strong plum and cherry! White Labs wasn't kidding. Super excited!

Thanks for the recipe! Hope I don't screw up anything.

Last edited:
Back