Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henesy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I'm a super huge fan of Deschutes Fresh Haze NEIPA. Last summer I did some research and found a couple of clone recipes online and based on those, combined with some of my own research on the beer's specs, and playing around with Brewfather, I came up with this:

Batch Size : 10 gal
Boil Size : 11.48 gal
Post-Boil Vol : 10.69 gal
Mash Water : 9.23 gal
Sparge Water : 4.47 gal
Sparge Water Temp : 170 °F
Boil Time : 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72%
Mash Efficiency: 73.9%

Mash Profile
More dextrinous
166.6 °F - Strike Temp
156 °F - 30 min - Mash in
175 °F - 30 min - Sparge

IBU : 45 (Tinseth)
BU/GU : 0.72
Color : 7 SRM
Carbonation : 2.4 CO2-vol
Pre-Boil Gravity : 1.058
Original Gravity : 1.062

Fermentables (23 lb 4 oz)
13 lb - Pale Ale Malt 2-Row 3.5 °L (55.9%)
4 lb 4 oz - Munich I 6.2 °L (18.3%)
2 lb - Caramel Malt 10L 10 °L (8.6%)
2 lb - Wheat White Malt 2.3 °L (8.6%)
1 lb - Barley, Flaked 1.8 °L (4.3%)
1 lb - Wheat Flaked 1.7 °L (4.3%)

Hops (13.69 oz)
60 min - 1.7 oz - Northern Brewer - 7.5% (22...

15 min - 0.33 oz - Amarillo - 9.4% (3 IBU)
15 min - 0.33 oz - Cashmere - 8.5% (3 IBU)
15 min - 0.33 oz - Mandarina Bavaria - 8.5% (...

Flameout / Whirlpool
30 min @ 176 °F
30 min - 2 oz - Cashmere - 7.8% (5 IBU)
30 min - 2 oz - Mandarina Bavaria - 7.7% (5 IBU)
30 min - 1.5 oz - Amarillo - 9.4% (4 IBU)

Dry Hops
Day 3 - 2 oz - Cashmere - 7.6%
Day 3 - 2 oz - Mandarina Bavaria - 7.7%
Day 3 - 1.5 oz - Amarillo - 9.4%

Yeast
4 pkg - White Labs London Fog Ale WLP066

Starter:
2.1 L (7.27 oz DME / 8.89 oz LME) 595 billion yeast cells 16 million cells / ml

Fermentation Profile
Ale 68 °F - 14 days
Final Gravity : 1.014

The resulting beer wasn't terrible, but it wasn't quite right either. Problems were as follows:
Taste: Tasted more bitter than Fresh haze to me, even though I matched the reported IBUs in Brewfather. Was also less sweet, and "creamy" than Fresh Haze.
Aroma: It was correct, but less strong
Color: Was closer to a yellow than the bright orange juice color of Fresh haze

Anyone familiar with brewing NEIPAs and Fresh Haze in particular have any suggestions on tweaks to recipe or process to get it closer?

Thanks in advance!
Henesy

Just a few thoughts I've only made a few neipas but from what I've done you need more adjuncts. I'd move some stuff around to have at 25% of the grist. I drop a pound of Munich and 3 of base malt spread it between the wheat and barly. Water chemistry is huge with this style I would look into that. Also you could be getting hop oxidation which will kill your flavor and aroma while adding precived bitterness. If you can come up with a way to add the dry hops with out opening you fermenter or purge it with co2 that will help. I suspend my dry hops with a magnet so I don't have to open it up. Hope some of this helps.

Water profile is a big part in this style . Are you building with distilled or RO ?

Our hazy grain bill is similar. With the exceptions of crystal, I don't use it . I like using flaked oats . I think it aids in that bright color and mouthfeel. My grain bill is

2row
Munich
Flaked oats
Flaked wheat
White wheat

Also you might want to try dropping some of your bittering hops . I can't tell , but it looks like your getting 22ibu from that . Try cutting that in half and adding more of your aroma hops at the 5 min and 1 min addition.

Last edited:
Back