Belgian Saison 3724 starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBlueBrad

Reaction score
This is the second starter that I have done. The one I did last week for a Dopplebock had a nice head of Krausen, but this one for the saison does not. Is everything cool?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
Looks fine. Different yeasts. Different krausens. Some just get a little and some overflow and make a good mess. As long as it’s bubbling away.

I have it in the fridge chilling now. Yeast is collecting at the bottom now. Will be good to go for my Monday brew.

i like the saison yeasts, i prefer the french to the belgium, but to each his own. With either, I do the full ferment at room temp (72-78 degrees) in order to get some ester flavors. I've done both at 67 degrees and didn't get anything interesting from the yeast. Though I got a fine beer.

And I get very little krausen from the saisons, but they do ferment for a good two to three weeks. give them warmth and patience and you've got a great beer. I use mostly 50/50 2 row and white wheat with a little 20 L thrown in for sweetness.

Switched to open fermentation for all my saisons after the first didn't drop as low as I planned and if the yeast is more than one generation old it ferments quick, fast and to just above water.

As for krausen if I get much it is usually thin crashes rather quick (especially with the open fermentatio)

Give it a day or two for first generation. Most saisons are sluggish the first few days and need time & air.

What temp is it at and are you open fermenting?

I did open ferment w foil as well. Start cold 62-64. Brought it inside. Temp strip reached 82. Fermented 1.052 to 1.006 in 10 days.

I did open ferment w foil as well. Start cold 62-64. Brought it inside. Temp strip reached 82. Fermented 1.052 to 1.006 in 10 days.

Was that Belgian or French saison? IME (which is limited with both yeasts) French works well and quickly at those temps, but Belgian saison (WY3724) needs to be a bit warmer and takes longer to reach FG.

Back