Belgian Dubbel Style: suggestions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimibrew

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a couple of questions about my first brew!

A couple of years ago I bought a Festival Belgian Dubbel kit (complete with plastic fermentation vessel, bottles, sanitizer, etc) and 2 weeks ago I started the primary fermentation. Now I`m looking for some suggestions before bottling. I carefully followed the instructions (especially regarding sanitization and temperature control) and here is my schedule, in brief:

Day 1: since the kit was 2 years old, I dissolved the sugars according to instructions and diluted the yeast in 100-200 ml of starting sugar broth at room temperature (in a sanitized bowl) for 1 hour or so. When the yeast started foaming and the temperature of the vessel reached around 24 degrees, I transferred it in the vessel (initial gravity: 1050, total volume was around 21-22 liters).

Day 6: added the hops and the gravity was around 1028-1030 (I sampled through the tap). So far the temperature has been around 18-20 degrees. I assume that the fermentation started a bit later because there was not much foam observed in the first 2-3 days. After adding the hops (from a sterile sachet), in the following days I could see more CO2 coming off the airlock. Maybe the lid was not properly sealed at the beginning.

Day 12: the gravity is around 1010-1008. Temperature stabilized at 22 degrees throughout the past week. Airlock still bubbling.

Day 16: the gravity has been stable every day at 1008. Airlock still bubbling, less frequently.

Day 17 (today): I was about to prepare the bottles, but I realized that the gravity is now around 1007 and the airlock still bubbles sometimes. It`s difficult to have a precise reading since it`s a manual hydrometer and the scale is 02.

My question is: should I wait for another couple of days until the gravity reaches 1006 (suggested final gravity for Belgian dubbel)? I tasted the sample and is definitely “hoppy” and very slightly “sour”, but smells definitely like beer, no bad smells. Is there a risk to ruin the batch if I keep it longer in the primary fermentation vessel until fermentation stops?

Thank you!

I think it's probably done but it can't hurt to wait a couple more days. More time in primary allows the yeast to clean up any off flavors and also gives the yeast more time to settle out so it doesn't end up in your final beer.

I think it's probably done but it can't hurt to wait a couple more days. More time in primary allows the yeast to clean up any off flavors and also gives the yeast more time to settle out so it doesn't end up in your final beer.

Thank you cswis86!
I was afraid that longer primary fermentation would ruin it. On the other hand, I see that the rule is to wait until fermentation stops completely before bottling :)

Yeah, bottling too early has way more negative consequences. I normally bottle or keg after 3-4 weeks and haven't had any problems.

Your beer can stay in the primary for weeks and suffer no harm. Warm the beer to 24 to 26 (whatever you have readily available) and let it stay there for another few days, then check the gravity again. If it remain at 1.007, bottle it. If it has dropped lower, give it a few more days and check again.

Back