Belgian dubbel candi sugar...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2BeerOrNot2Beer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm brewin a Belgian dubbel and was curious whether anybody recommends adding the candi sugar during the boil vs. any other time. I assume it is all unfermentable, and therefore it would be of no benefit to add it part way into fermentation after the yeast have worked their way thru a good portion of the maltose.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Jake

I assume it is all unfermentable

Wrong assumption. It is highly fermentable.

You can add it near the end of the boil, or even add it after a few days of fermentation. Both will work.

For a high OG brew I usually add it after a few days of fermentation, but for a dubbel, which is probably not real high OG you can add it near the end of the boil. Just make sure to make a big enough starter.

Wrong assumption. It is highly fermentable.

You can add it near the end of the boil, or even add it after a few days of fermentation. Both will work.

For a high OG brew I usually add it after a few days of fermentation, but for a dubbel, which is probably not real high OG you can add it near the end of the boil. Just make sure to make a big enough starter.

^^^^This. I always add it to the boil, never had any issue. Although I'm pretty sure WY3787 can ferment an old boot.....

Back