Beginner's Question on Disturbing the Yeast. Thanks for any help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodrigodoval

Reaction score
I had to add a valve to my fermenter during fermentation, on the seventh day (of a total of 12 days). In order to do that, I had to tilt my fermenter. After doing so, it seems I have woken up the yeast and it is bubbling a lot more actively than before. What should I expect from that, in terms of beer quality? I am concerned about the activity of the yeast, not air contamination. Thanks, for any insights!

The yeast probably aren't doing anything more than if you hadn't disturbed them but the moving of the fermenter caused the CO2 that was trapped in the yeast layer to sneak out. The beer in your fermenter has CO2 dissolved in it and anytime you disturb it some of the CO2 will escape.

^^ What he said above, a lot of CO2 hangs around inside the beer and can be released when agitated. BUT people also sometimes stir the yeast back into suspension to try and get a few more gravity points eaten if they didn't get the attenuation they were looking for, and it sometimes works. However I don't recommend messing around inside the fermenter unless you really have to, most of the time the yeast will do its thing and be done and agitating them back into suspension will not do anything.

Back