Beginner keg questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myelo

Reaction score
Just got a keg setup and I have a few questions before starting.

1. I've got used pin lock kegs. They came pressurized. I've taken them apart to clean and will sanitize. The keg seemed to hold pressure fine with the current rings.They sent a new set of O-rings ... should I replace them now? When/why do you use keg lube?

2. There is a depression in the bottom (inside) of the keg that I think is intended to be the place for the beer out tube to fit. However, it currently doesn't fit there, it's to the side. Can/should I bend the tube a bit so it fits into this space?

3. Filling. Sometimes on 5 gallon batches I end up with slightly more than 5 gallons. How full can you fill a keg? All the way to the top? Or up to the gas-in tube?

Thanks!

1. I've got used pin lock kegs. They came pressurized. I've taken them apart to clean and will sanitize. The keg seemed to hold pressure fine with the current rings.They sent a new set of O-rings ... should I replace them now? When/why do you use keg lube?

2. There is a depression in the bottom (inside) of the keg that I think is intended to be the place for the beer out tube to fit. However, it currently doesn't fit there, it's to the side. Can/should I bend the tube a bit so it fits into this space?

3. Filling. Sometimes on 5 gallon batches I end up with slightly more than 5 gallons. How full can you fill a keg? All the way to the top? Or up to the gas-in tube?

Thanks!

1) If they had beer already in them you don't have to worry as much as soda. But if they gave you rings already might as well change them out. I use keg lube every now and then when I get leaks that wont stop. I would really apply on the lid oring for sure.

2) Are you sure that tube belongs with that keg? First mistake in getting kegs is to clean everything all at once all together. Problems start showing up pieces don't fit cause they were not part of that keg.

3) Ive read on here the best practice is up to the gas in tube. That's what I would recommend.

Thanks eluterio

Are you sure that tube belongs with that keg?

Good question. All I know is that tube definitely came with that keg. But it is a used keg so it's possible it was replaced at some point. The tube is perfectly straight.

Thanks!

1. If they seem to be holding pressure, no sense in replacing them. The keg lube should be used on all the o-rings especially on the keg lid, just a tin film will do you just fine.
2. The depression in the bottom is for the dip tube to have a well to sit in. If your liquid out dip tube doesnt already have a bend in it so it goes to the center you may want to check with where you got the keg (sounds like they maybe sent a dip tube from a sanke keg (but I know those have a wider diameter so probably not)? I think they make straight corny keg dip tubes, but those are a lot less common.
3. Stop before the co2 in dip tube, in theory you could go higher, but thats pretty full as is.

Thanks eluterio

Good question. All I know is that tube definitely came with that keg. But it is a used keg so it's possible it was replaced at some point. The tube is perfectly straight.

so if it came with it and it was already on before it should fit. Im not really familiar with pin locks but Im assuming tube is curved and the indention is square like on the bottom of the keg.

If you fill above the CO2 in tube then you can get beer pushed back through the CO2 line if/when the pressure in the line becomes less than the keg.... Like say you run out of gas. If you have check valves you'll end up with beer up to the check valve.....if you don't you'll end up with beer in the regulator (you need check valves :tank:)

That said.... I normally get a little above the CO2 in. I fill kegs by weight, mine are full at about 50lbm. Sometimes I leave it. Sometimes I pressurize the keg to say 30-40psi then attach a in poppet to the keg with a line running to a drain to remove the extra.

I believe on my ball lock kegs the tubes are straight and the poppet valve is actually angled to put the dip tube into the bottom well. If not they would "walk" when you turned them. When I get a new keg, I completely disassemble, clean and sanitize. When reassembling, I put a thin film of keg lube on all the rubber parts. If I were you, if the keg is holding poressure for a week or more, I'd keep the current seals and use the "new" seals as replacement parts if/when leaks occur. I had a mistake documented here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=553619 and have since laid in a supply of at least one each of all keg wear parts.

Latest posts

Back