Beginner Hard Cider Notes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixPants

Reaction score
Decided to do some small cider batches for fun. You can see from the photo there's a nice clear batch and one with chunks floating around.

Here are the cloudy batch notes
1/2 Gallon Giant Eagle Cider Pasteurized & Preserved
1 tbsp white sugar
1 gram red star champagne yeast
Start: 10-15
Rack: 11-11
Poor fermentation. Few bubbles. Good taste during rack.
Kept color. Yeast prob died early in preservative

Clear batch notes

1/2 Gallon Stahl's Cider Cold Pasteurized
1 tbsp white sugar
1 gram red star champagne yeast proofed
Start: 10 - 15
Rack: 11-11
Strong fermentation with bubbles 10-15 sec
Color lightened considerably
Champagne taste. Hope aging will improve it.
image-3015831104.jpg

I have no conclusions, advice, or questions. Just adding to the experiences shared.

so you reckon the preservative killed off the yeast? is there much alcohol in them? or is it just for flavour

^^that. Sorbate is funny stuff - a yeast that's really rolling can shrug it off somewhat. Were I you I'd wait til that second batch is fermented out to where you want it, cold crash it, rack/drink it and pour the trub (bottom gunk) right into that second bottle and see if having several billion more yeast cells will do the trick :)

I'm such a novice and I did so many things poorly I hesitate to draw any conclusions.

For instance, it doesn't make much sense to burn up all the sugar. So I really need to get the tools to measure the specific gravity.

I like the idea of dumping the trub into the subsequent batch.

It's all for fun though and I definitely appreciate the resources and help in these forums.

Back