Begginer using kits, 4th brew not looking good...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony9i9i9i

Reaction score
Left to right, what I brewed, ingredients, condition, date, OG, kegging date, notes, FG, ABV, 1st taste.
Brewmaker Northumberland Brown AleMalt tin supplied, 2 * 500g of dark spray malt + 100g of sugarTemp was hot again, left overnight and pitch yeast in the morning, bubbling by end of day.
21/09/2020​
1.044​
05/10/2020​
ABV was a little higher this time, agitated the barrel a week in, might of added something along with the extra sugar. Bottled 9 500ml and the 19L keg, tilted the barrel slightly, best yield yet. Drank hydrometer tube, lovely sweet caramel notes, a bit hazy but will clear in storage hopefully.
1.014​
4.07​
19/10/20 14 days in bottle, opened with a phut, colour had gone from brown to dark chocolate black, fruity/sour nose, yeast? Poured with a thin head, that kept going. Strange taste, light fudge with sour milk finish, possibly yeast?

Any idea's on the reason for the colour change in the bottle? Or the change from sweet to sour taste?
I've searched the forums and suspect and infection, hopefully dirty bottle. I've used the same kit to brew and keg a coopers 86 larger since and tasted OK at kegging and started an Old Conkerwood Black Ale on Sunday in it.
I clean and sanitise everything every time I use it.

Tony.

If it's truly sour, that would point to microbial contamination.

Color-wise, are you comparing the original color as viewed through a racking hose to the current color as viewed through a serving glass?

It's hard to describe, but me and my lad (who has working taste buds) were both getting an unpleasant "sour" finish, not to much fun up front either.

The colour I don't understand, from the sample tube you take the hydrometeor reading from, poured into a glass, it was every bit Newcastle Brown, brown, two weeks in the bottle and it's Hobgoblin black!

Hopefully just a bad bottle.

It's hard to describe, but me and my lad (who has working taste buds) were both getting an unpleasant "sour" finish, not to much fun up front either.

The colour I don't understand, from the sample tube you take the hydrometeor reading from, poured into a glass, it was every bit Newcastle Brown, brown, two weeks in the bottle and it's Hobgoblin black!

Hopefully just a bad bottle.
That has all the earmarks of oxidation. Oxidized beer will develop a sherry-like taste.

Cheers RB, fingers crossed for a bad seal then...
By sour do you mean slightly tart? Dark malt reduces de pH, I've found craft beers where they didn't adjusted the pH and it was tart, and tart and roasty flavours don't go well at all, at least for my palate, one brewery even called it an Orange Porter hahahahaha

Sounds like oxidation to me also. Beer turns darker and develops a cardboard like or even slightly sour taste once oxidized.

I wouldn't say tart OldDog, hopefully bad seal like rb and bo suggest. I'm going to open another one tonight, I'll let you know how it goes.

I did try another one, very similar, but with less of the sourness, could still be maturing. I'll update properly on the next one, not giving up on it yet.

Back