Beer snobs SUCK!!! (rant)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never heard of anybody claiming SN, DFH, Stone, etc. don't brew quality beer. People with that opinion should be looked down upon and made fun of relentlessly.

I
Beer snobs SUCK, yes you do.

- Brian

p.s. sorry about the long rant just had to get it out :)

Hmmmm, this calls for further discussion. Suggest we get Schlitz faced, Hamm it up a bit, and quit beating around the Busch.

I've roasted a couple times (Hot Air Popper), and I found it's just easier buying from Seth because he roasts a lot better than I do.

:off:Try using a heat gun and a metal dog bowl; I find I get much better control over the roast that way. :off:

Picture_0131.jpg

I've always wondered since I've tried it: "What was SA thinking when they made their cranberry lambic?" No, seriously, what were they thinking?

+1 Can't even get rid of it when we have people over. Still sitting in the fridge.:confused:

I enjoy trying most types of beers(except for any Bud products, everytime I drink one I break out in Hives), some of them are more tolerable than others but everyones tastes are different.

On a somewhat related note...I drank some Michelob Shock Top (a wheat beer) and it was delicious. I recommend it to anyone who likes wheat beers.

I love me some PBR, busch light, bud light...etc.

but I love me some craft beer much better. But I really dont see sitting around the BBQ at a tailgater chugging homebrews...there is a time and place for the Buds of the world..

I've never heard of anybody claiming SN, DFH, Stone, etc. don't brew quality beer. People with that opinion should be looked down upon and made fun of relentlessly.

Hahahaha...agreed.

Also, I have drank Starbucks before. Its coffee, it does not suck.
I do not though drink Starbucks because they are more expensive and have a little mini cafe where I can sit and read and feel all warm inside. There are people out there that drink Starbucks just for that reason. There are also people out there that go into fine quality stores just to buy the beer that no one has heard of so they can tell others they have drank it. Hell, I drink this stuff all the time. I buy big crazy beers I have never heard of. I do not buy them because I want to be different or because I want a certain someone to think I am cool or I know about different beer. I buy it because I want to try something new, maybe find a new taste and maybe discover a good beer. I am also not one of those guys that comes on here to put people down about what they drink. I am also the guy who buys Sierra, Sam and Harpoon here and there because I love some of those beers.

On a somewhat related note...I drank some Michelob Shock Top (a wheat beer) and it was delicious. I recommend it to anyone who likes wheat beers.

but I love me some craft beer much better. But I really dont see sitting around the BBQ at a tailgater chugging homebrews...there is a time and place for the Buds of the world..

I have tried the Shock Top, not half bad. Now you tell that to some other goofs out there and you will get a ear full of why that beer sucks, why you should not drink it and why you dont have a clue about taste. Funny thing is the ones telling you all this are the ones who have never tried it.

I think the large breweries such as those spoken about here should be applauded for their abilities to grow to the size of being nationally known and still produce excellent craft beers. It's these breweries where alot of us first discovered good beer. When I first started drinking good beer, I thought Dogfish Head and Sam Calagione were the best things to ever happen to beer. Don't get me wrong, I still hold Sam in high esteem, but I've sense realized that there alot of really good breweries and brewers out there doing an excellent job of avoiding the typical corporate pressures (reduce cost, increase market share, etc...) and instead focusing on innovative, delicious beer. These are the breweries that are bringing good beer to the masses. I would dare to say that it is breweries like these that are single handedly responsible for the craft brew movement. How many of us would have ever had a Pliny the Elder (still haven't tried btw) without first having a Sierra Nevada?

I'd have to agree with all that you preach brother :mug:

I've never had a Sam Adams beer and it's because I've always lumped them in with BMC because that's the image I perceive. They have the big national ads along with BMC and seem to be a big company like BMC (their beer is in every store, even on the other side of the country). My grocery stores even put them in the same cooler as the BMC instead of the one with the micros.

I don't have anything against Sam Adams, but I've just never purchased any of their product. If I'm going to buy beer and I have the choice between SA and something like Deschutes... I'll always pass up the SA.

I have tried the Shock Top, not half bad. Now you tell that to some other goofs out there and you will get a ear full of why that beer sucks, why you should not drink it and why you dont have a clue about taste. Funny thing is the ones telling you all this are the ones who have never tried it.

And here is where we disagree. I tried Shocktop once, and only once. I found it an adequate (but not good) representation of a witbier. Bland and boring, lacked in the spice that I crave in wits.

My wife enjoys it and Blue Moon from time to time, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I refuse to be apologize for having a discriminating palate.

SA is great. I can pretty much go anywhere and get an ale on tap because they are everywhere now. They have also brought beer to the masses.

I don't like light lagers, bud/miller/heineken/Corona/Stella.

Speaking of "mass" produced. When I went to Seattle I think Red Hook was my third favorite brewery and I must have visited 7 breweries/brew pubs total. Pyramid being the worst and Elysian being the best. Naked City wasn't open yet.

And to top it all off, a brewer from A-B is now running the show at Stone.

Let me see... Bud...Miller...Coors.
All watered down lager that is promoted to college students, hard working Americans and sports fans.

Sam Adams promotes taste. You put all 3 BMC's next to each other and again they are still the same watered down lager, maybe a little different in taste but not by much. Now you put a Sam Adams Boston Lager next to the 3 BMC's and you find a 100% different tatse. No yellow fizz, no watered down taste, no ********.

Maybe Sam Adams has grown, and does market on the big scale. So what, why not.
Look at Dogfish Head. 5 years ago outside of Delaware you could not find it on tap anywhere. Now many many bars have it on tap. Same with Sierra Nevada.

Maybe because I am from Boston and know that Jim Koch is a great guy and really promotes great taste and a real product is why I back them up so much. Dont get me wrong though, I rarely drink Sam Adams.

And here is where we disagree. I tried Shocktop once, and only once. I found it an adequate (but not good) representation of a witbier. Bland and boring, lacked in the spice that I crave in wits.

My wife enjoys it and Blue Moon from time to time, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I refuse to be apologize for having a discriminating palate.

I am not asking you to apologize. You said your opinion on a beer you dont like that much. Did you offend anyone? I doubt it. Did you put anyone down or try to sound rude or that you have a better taste in beer than anyone else. Nope you did not.

What I am trying to say here...there are beer geeks and beer snobs.
I will never tell anyone that they dont know anything about beer because I see them drinking a Shock Top.

I couldn't agree with you more. I was going to put up a similar post but you beat me to it.

I'll take it a step further. For all of you beer snobs who put down the big brewers or BMC as it tends to be called.

Didn't any of you go to a party and get completly trashed on the cheapest worst tasting stuff on the planet? If you didn't then you suck. These beers have a home in my heart that is very dear. I cannot tell you how many cans of Keystone Light I drank in college and to be honest it was some of the best times of my life. Imagine if I beer-snobbed it up and said " I won't touch that swill!!" I'd be sitting at home complaining how I am the only one with taste. (and not getting laid that night on top of it)

I'll be honest. I like miller lite. Oh my god I said it! Yes there are good reasons to drink a light beer from a brewery. There are occasions where I may want to have multiple beers and I don't know if I can stomach an entire case of some hop crazy IPA and my stomach will beg me to put something a little lighter in it.

Also, any of you would kill to have a Sam Adams style brewery. He started that thing in his kitchen think about it.

I would like to hear from anyone who has funny cheap ass beer stories for this post. That'll shut up the beer snobs.

I'm a self proclaimed Beer Snob and I'll still crack a PBR or hit the Bud Light at a kegger.

Ironically, PBR is gaining in popularity as the anti-beer because of their essential lack of any mass marketing.

People drink it more because it's trendy to snub their nose at the mega-marketed brewers not because it's good beer.

I do like a good cold PBR in the summer.

linky

Didn't any of you go to a party and get completly trashed on the cheapest worst tasting stuff on the planet?

Yeah. I was 22 once. We all were.

I would much rather have a bottle of Goose Island Bourbon Stout than 10 cases of any of that cheap crap.

It comes down to what my palate will tolerate and why I am drinking. I am not drinking to get hammered. I drink because I love beer. Good beer. I am not an ******* because I say no to a beer I don't want, even if people will perceive it that way. I don't care.

Oh, and Shock Top is boring and uninspired crap. Yes, I've tried it. No, I won't drink it again. I'd much rather have an Avery White Rascal, an Allagash White, or even a Hoegaarden (OMG, it is made by a giant corporation!)

I like Sam Adams, I've got a variety pack in the cooler as we speak.

Everyone's tastes are different - but who are we to judge the person who has the balls to try something and say without shame, "I like this". Most of my friends are happy with a Budlight, I don't make fun of them, I buy them a Budlight; it's their tastes, not mine. Based on that they will try any random beer with me that I like that they've never heard of.

I have a dream! I have a dream that one day beer drinkers can stand hand to hand with their brothers and not see labels in their eyes, and love each other for their differences! Can I get an Amen!

I couldn't agree with you more. I was going to put up a similar post but you beat me to it.

I'll take it a step further. For all of you beer snobs who put down the big brewers or BMC as it tends to be called.

Didn't any of you go to a party and get completly trashed on the cheapest worst tasting stuff on the planet? If you didn't then you suck. These beers have a home in my heart that is very dear. I cannot tell you how many cans of Keystone Light I drank in college and to be honest it was some of the best times of my life. Imagine if I beer-snobbed it up and said " I won't touch that swill!!" I'd be sitting at home complaining how I am the only one with taste. (and not getting laid that night on top of it)

I'll be honest. I like miller lite. Oh my god I said it! Yes there are good reasons to drink a light beer from a brewery. There are occasions where I may want to have multiple beers and I don't know if I can stomach an entire case of some hop crazy IPA and my stomach will beg me to put something a little lighter in it.

Also, any of you would kill to have a Sam Adams style brewery. He started that thing in his kitchen think about it.

I would like to hear from anyone who has funny cheap ass beer stories for this post. That'll shut up the beer snobs.

Ahhh, the good old days.

So, here's a cheap ass beer story for you:

The year is 1987. I was a young, 18 yr old private stationed at DLI on the Presidio of Monterey. Friday night, it's time for a beer run so we pooled our cash. Well, none of us had a car, but one of the guys had a motorcycle, so I hopped (har!) on back and we headed to Safeway. We have enough money for 5 suitcases of Bud, which we promptly bought. We got out to the parking lot and realized that 5 24pks of Bud may not have been the wisest choice. Being young, highly motivated soldiers, we were determined to overcome the minor obstacle of 2 people, a bike, and 5 cases of beer. We bungied one on the back fender, then my buddy stacked two on my lap, and I had one in each hand, and used my knees to balance the stack. After getting me situated, he carefully climbed on in front of and got the bike off the kick stand. At this point, we were starting to draw a crowd........many people were laughing and pointing. I should point out, this was not a dresser or big cruiser, and the bike struggled two-up, before adding 5 cases of beer.

I'm sure by now you can guess what happens..........just as we turn into the main gate of DLI, a catastrophic weight shift occured during the apex of the turn..........thus causing us to lay the bike down. I swear, all 5 of those cases burst........beer cans were everywhere. It looked like a brewery truck rolled over. We get the bike off to the side, but our beer is everywhere. Traffic is flowing at a typical california rate, and we're watching with dismay as many of our cans of beer are being ran over. My buddy runs into the intersection, and stands at parade rest with his right hand extended straight in front of him, like some kind of traffic cop. Traffic comes to a halt, so I'm in this intersection grabbin' beers as fast as I can.......like some kind of mad easter egg hunt. I'm stuffin' 'em in the remnants of the cases, my pockets, down my pants, in my shirt.......you name it. I think we recovered about 2 1/2 cases of that beer before we heard sirens, that being the signal to take what we had and get. You should have seen the looks on peoples faces when we got back to the barracks, and out came this pile of smashed, dented, leaking, and well shaken stash of bud.

We thouroughly enjoyed that brew.....especially looking out the 2nd floor dayroom windows and watching a bunch of MP cars cruising the bike parking lot and shining spot lights on all the bikes.......while my buddy's was safely stowed under a blanket in the stairwell.

I am a total beer snob. I don't drink cheap beer, and I mostly drink local when I have the choice, unless I want something Belgian. I don't like Sam Adams products, but I have to say that as a company they are NOWHERE near the big conglomerates. They still hold a homebrew competition, they sell hops to microbrewers, and they stay dedicated to a craft of brewing. Sure, their beer is more tailored for the mainstream drinker, but they are an awesome company.

I like Sierra Nevada for everything they do as well. I would rather be drinking other beer, but I won't refuse theirs like I would a bud or even a Boston Lager.

The craft beer scene is really ****ing stupid right now. The beer advocate/rate beer type are idiots and they are starting to make beer more a competition and sport than a fun, leisure activity. I LOVE beer. I appreciate that we need Sam Adams-like companies. I am a snob. I am just sick of how seriously people take themselves.

+1 People need to friggin relax a bit. I mean it just seems like there are more and more uptight dbags nowadays who will bag on EVERYTHING. I'm not a fan of BMC but I'm not going around acting like a tool slamming them either. I just don't drink it. Its my choice and I KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT about it. Some folks might want to try that little exercise sometime. Nobody cares if you don't like they way Sam or SN or AB or whoever makes their beer. Just don't drink it and move on.

I was talking to someone the other day and he told me that he felt that Sam Adams is just one step up from BMC.

I would agree with that assessment. It's a significant step (although there are several InBev beers that I think are excellent), but the next step nonetheless on my scale. What would you say belongs in between BMC and, for instance, Stone, Bells and the trappist beers?

EDIT: I don't even mind BMC that much. Sure, I'll poke fun at them occasionally, and I rarely buy them, but I don't mind drinking many of their products, either. They have their place.

Dunkin Donuts coffee is way better than Starbucks, SN makes one BAD ASS Celebration Ale, Sammy has some good beers now and again (although I'm not a fan of the usual year-round lineup).

I drink what I like, and hell, I'll take a High Life every now and again even though I'll still rag on BMC. I won't drink Bud Light though, man that stuff is nasty.

LOVE Dunkin Donuts coffee. And you can get an all-american donut to go with it, instead of a scone! There's a Starbucks in my building at work, but I will go out of my way, risk being late for a DD. Also if they have it where you live, try Indigo coffee - Also way better than SB, IMHO.

The last guy told me that Dogfish Head has no idea what they are doing and are not a real brewery. Hahahahahahahaha what a moron!!!
how is this guy a beer snob? he just sounds like an idiot. no one who actually likes craft beer would say this. unless they meant that DFH tends to go nuts with ingredients and styles, and that a lot of their beers lose their drinkability because of that, which is certainly a reasonable argument, and more likely what you actually heard.

actually i bet most of what you heard in this conversation is what you wanted to hear.

although Red Hook does actually suck

although Red Hook does actually suck

Meh. I like red hook, or at least the ESB and Longhammer that i've had. We don't have many options here in Mississippi, but again, i like it.

That said, the Stone beer i had tasted like crap. To each their own i guess.

I love the SA! I always look forward to the Winter Lager and always buy a 12-pack when I'm out and it's available. I have been buying Sweetwater 420, a local ale but more often than not a SA is not too difficult to purchase out and about at any restaurant. Course if you ask for a glass that is not chilled they seem to always bring out a one that is pretty warm directly from the dishwasher :mad:.

Ok, I do have to admit I have my monents:

When I'm at BEVMO and some dude walks up to the counter with a 12-pack of Coors light and only a 12-pack of Coors light, I kinda want to kick his balls in a little bit.

I don't think that's snobbery though, right? That's just teaching.

We're talking about beer here, gentlemen. And no beer is unworthy of the educated palate.

I frequent O'Brien's. The very pinnacle of beer snobbery in Southern Cal. Am I always in the mood for the latest 12%abv Belgian or the 500 IBU IIPA on tap? No. Nobody is. It's impossible.

I also frequent O'Harley's, a pool pub in northern San Diego. I shoot snooker and drink Blue Moon, Guinness, Sierra Nevada, even the occasional Bud Light or Miller Lite. It's refreshing and to be appreciated for what it is. A beer that refuses to take itself too seriously. And some of us sometimes need to follow suit.

Here's to beer. :mug: The beverage that reminds us how great life is.

Roast your own or buy fresh from a local roaster, then we'll talk. :rockin:

I (obviously, as a professional coffee roaster) have to second this opinion. Like freshly baked bread, no matter how coffee is stored it will only remain fresh for 2 to, at most, three weeks. After that all of its volatile aromatics have oxidized and its oils have begun to go rancid.

It is impossible to roast 40,000 lbs, package it, and get it to outlets in less than one month. The usual turnaround is three months. Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts will serve their coffee in their shops as old as four months and sell it retail up to 13 months.

I will only drink coffee that is fresh and ground and brewed properly. Does that make me a coffee snob?

As far as the sentiment of the OP. Edit: Nevermind. I realized from reading another post that I don't like beer snobs either. People who judge other people for buying BMC or for enjoying whatever beverage they enjoy. That is just wrong on many levels.

Sam Adams Boston Lager is my beer of choice when I go to Casino to gamble :D. I got some of my friends who used to drink BMC into a bigger variety of beers and now they like to talk smack about BMC and ocassionally Sam Adams which gets on my nerves. I just tell em there's a time and a place for every beer and ignore them for a bit till the subject changes

Back