Beer snobs SUCK!!! (rant)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianTheBrewer

Reaction score
I seriously mean it guys and gals. Dont get me wrong, I crack a joke at people who drink BMC all the time. I usually mean it as a joke though and not a shot at someone to be mean or rude. I am not talking about BMC drinkers though.
I am talking about people who wont even drink beer from great beer companies anymore because they are on tv, or advertise or they are growing all over.

Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, Harpoon, Stone, Rouge, Dogfish, ect...
So many people here talk about this beer and that beer but when it comes from one of the big brewereis out there they turn there head and talk like they are better beer drinkers then me or you because we like the brews that come from most of those companies. Hahahahahaha, that is the biggest load of ******** I have ever heard. To me these "beer snobs" will only drink dark brews with labels on them you have never heard of before because they want to feel different.

I was talking to someone the other day and he told me that he felt that Sam Adams is just one step up from BMC. You have to be kidding me right???
Another person told me that Sierra Nevada puts out very weak brews and they are just not enough for his taste. WHAT??!! The last guy told me that Dogfish Head has no idea what they are doing and are not a real brewery. Hahahahahahahaha what a moron!!!

I as others do buy all those brews that we see in our fine stores that I have never seen or heard of before. I for one though will never put down the bigger craft brewers out there. Mose of the big craft brewers still make wonderful beer and will keep doing this.

Example...
I live outside of Boston. I like Dunkin Donuts coffee. When you talk to someone who will only drink Starbucks about Dunkin Donuts you gotta here the crap coming out of there mouth. Its as if they drink Starbucks because they want to be different and spend an extra dollar on some coffee. This is how I feel when I talk to a fellow beer drinker about a good beer I had from one of the big craft brewers and they start to go down the line of how this craft brewer has lost there way and how they wont drink the beer they make because its not "different" anymore.

Beer snobs SUCK, yes you do.

- Brian

p.s. sorry about the long rant just had to get it out :)

applause.gif

I dont like Sam Adams :D not cause they are BMCesque or anything. I just generaly dont care for it. I'll drink it but usually wont order it.

I dont like Sam Adams :D not cause they are BMCesque or anything. I just generaly dont care for it. I'll drink it but usually wont order it.

I agree. I am not a giant fan of Sam. I like some brews they make, I dont like some brews they make. Talking about them as a company though, saying they are a step up from BMC??!! Ya right!
Jim Koch and Sam Adams have done very great things for the beer industry and will keep doing more. They sponser the Patriot Homebrew competition every year and last year gave thousands of hops away.

I like Sam Adams, Ill even drink Bud, but I would rather have water than Coors. Fortunately all I have drank in 6 months I brewed myself.

I'll only drink Dunkin Donuts' coffee. I don't even brew my own anymore.

I used to be one of your beer snobs. Which is ironic, cos I couldn't afford anything much better than PBR (which I still drink from time to time).

But now I'll drink whatever I like. Though I do try not to buy anything from any publicly traded companies.

Talking about them as a company though, saying they are a step up from BMC??!! Ya right!

Truthfully, I think they are approaching that plateau. With a few exceptions, I find the majority of Sam Adams products rather one-dimensional and uninspiring.

The Brewmaster's Variety Pack available now is very disappointing; the only standout (just barely) was the Black Lager.

Some comments,
Jason

Dunkin Donuts coffee is way better than Starbucks, SN makes one BAD ASS Celebration Ale, Sammy has some good beers now and again (although I'm not a fan of the usual year-round lineup).

I drink what I like, and hell, I'll take a High Life every now and again even though I'll still rag on BMC. I won't drink Bud Light though, man that stuff is nasty.

People call me a snob because of my choices, but if I'm at a ball game or concert, and all they have is BMC, you'll see me drinking it.

+1. However, they jokingly call me a snob because of my choices, not because I say their beer is crap. But, if there are no other options, I'll drink what is available.

Snobbery is always acceptable in the first person and never acceptable in the third person. :)

But seriously, I think what you say about liking something more because it's "different" is pretty normal. For example... You see ads on TV and in magazines for this new action movie that's coming out. Looks awesome but you're a little short on cash when it comes out so you wait two months to see it. By that time, it isn't advertised anymore but it's still the same movie. My guess is that most people would enjoy seeing the movie right away when there's tons of hype surrounding it, rather than later when there's no hype.

I'm a self proclaimed Beer Snob and I'll still crack a PBR or hit the Bud Light at a kegger.

You're talking about the trendy

01_12_14---Donkey_web.jpg
hole070130a.jpg

I've always wondered since I've tried it: "What was SA thinking when they made their cranberry lambic?" No, seriously, what were they thinking?

I wouldnt call myself a beer snob, but I do only drink craft brewed fare. No macro. Why? I dont know, Im just that way...and I dont like all craft brews either. I love New Belgium and Boulevard, but dont like Great Divide's brews. Im sure Great Divide does deserve thier good reputation, I just dont like the nuances they have.

But do I make fun of those who drink macro? No...most of my freinds only drink PBR or High Life, and absolutely hate the beer I drink and brew. To each his own.

Now coffee, thats another story ;)
J/K, actually I dont drink coffee unless its good coffee. Starbucks is 'ok', but I prefer the smaller coffee houses that roast thier own bean. I dont like Folgers or Dunkin. Its just the style of roast and bean that I dont like, not that it is mass produced.

I've always wondered since I've tried it: "What was SA thinking when they made their cranberry lambic?" No, seriously, what were they thinking?

That beer is vomit-inducing. One of the few beers I could not finish. Everyone I know that has tried it has ended up dumping it.

Truthfully, I think they are approaching that plateau. With a few exceptions, I find the majority of Sam Adams products rather one-dimensional and uninspiring.

The Brewmaster's Variety Pack available now is very disappointing; the only standout (just barely) was the Black Lager.

Some comments,
Jason

+1 on that. I enjoy the Black Lager, but none of the others I have had really do much for me.

How anyone could be a big enough snob to diss on on a Rouge or most of the other brewers mentioned in the OP? That is just ridiculous.

Sam's Black Lager is very good. The Irish Red is also good.
If you get a chaqnce try Sam's Chocolate Bock, expensive but good.

SN Big Foot is great so is the Celebration.
I also like SN Summerfest, very crips and refreshing on a hot day.

That beer is vomit-inducing. One of the few beers I could not finish. Everyone I know that has tried it has ended up dumping it.

+1, that **** sucked bad (and I generally LOVE fruit beer). I loved the CREAM STOUT though.

I am a total beer snob. I don't drink cheap beer, and I mostly drink local when I have the choice, unless I want something Belgian. I don't like Sam Adams products, but I have to say that as a company they are NOWHERE near the big conglomerates. They still hold a homebrew competition, they sell hops to microbrewers, and they stay dedicated to a craft of brewing. Sure, their beer is more tailored for the mainstream drinker, but they are an awesome company.

I like Sierra Nevada for everything they do as well. I would rather be drinking other beer, but I won't refuse theirs like I would a bud or even a Boston Lager.

The craft beer scene is really ****ing stupid right now. The beer advocate/rate beer type are idiots and they are starting to make beer more a competition and sport than a fun, leisure activity. I LOVE beer. I appreciate that we need Sam Adams-like companies. I am a snob. I am just sick of how seriously people take themselves.

The craft beer scene is really ****ing stupid right now. The beer advocate/rate beer type are idiots and they are starting to make beer more a competition and sport than a fun, leisure activity. I LOVE beer. I appreciate that we need Sam Adams-like companies. I am a snob. I am just sick of how seriously people take themselves.

Yes, exactly. I read Beer Advocate all the time. I have actually drank with both the Alstrom brothers before as they are from my area. They are starting to put down all these great beers and the idiots follow them.

first of all, getting coffee from starbucks is not being different.... It is buying into a huge global brand identity, just like mcdonalds and nike (and they are at that level)....yet the majority of people go there because they have better coffee than the gas stations they frequent, not because they really feel like hipsters from seattle when they go there.....

...second of all, settle down, it's just beer.....This is like ranting that people aren't willing to listen to top forty radio just because they like classical or jazz or something.....well, I wouldn't expect a jazz or classical person to appreciate the commercial hook-filled pop on those stations...yet I don't think they are snobs, they just have different taste...really it's just 'to each his own', ya know?

As a S.N.O.B. (Supporter of Native Oregon Beer), I find your attitude unacceptable. As a drinker of diverse brews, I find one-upmanship in beer drinkers amusing, boring, annoying and infantile.

As a S.N.O.B. (Supporter of Native Oregon Beer), I find your attitude unacceptable. As a drinker of diverse brews, I find one-upmanship in beer drinkers amusing, boring, annoying and infantile.

People should explore their regional offerings, if just for the simple fact that it's available to them and if they move, it won't be....it is also smart and noble to support your local economy.....There was beer in Juneau AK that I loved that I cannot get here in WI, but there is beer that never leaves these borders that I'll miss when I move away (New Glarus, Central Waters, etc)......so take advantage! go ahead, be a snob.....or as I think of myself, an explorer!

At age 26 I grew up on BMC (I'm gonna use this acronym a lot now that I know what it means.. lol) type beers. As I've gotten older my tastes and respect for good beer has flourished, I have the local Hofbrahaus to thank for that.

I like my budlight/budweiser when I'm out at the bar on the weekend with friends as it is cheap and I can drink plenty of it w/out getting too wrecked. At home, I enjoy the finer beers. Right now I fully enjoy my Erdinger Heffe but I limit myself to 1 or 2 a day. At $30 a case crushing a twelver on a friday night just isn't in my budget.

My tastes are always growing for different brews but I will most likely never turn down a budlight/budweiser if its my only option.

I just try to ignore the beer snobs, because they're just like every other snob who thinks their S*** don't stink.

Prost!! :mug:

+1.

What you were describing seems more of a hipster/indie kid attitude ("Oh, that band was great, but now that they're popular they suck"), but I totally know what you mean. I'd say the big difference is being a snob versus being a connosieur: a snob's tastes are all about being conspicuous, while the connosieur's tastes are established by what they like. One of these lends itself to letting other people be and not caring what they choose to drink, while the other, well, doesn't.

Snob is relative too. To some BMC people...just drinking a Sam is snobbery enough. But some people have to outsnob those snobs so they have to say Sam sucks.

I actually stayed away from Starbucks for the longest time because I thought it was snobby. I didn't want half-caff/double-espresso/fat-free Lattes (with a snap :D)...I just wanted a cup o joe. But I've developed a bit of my own coffee snobbery...satisfied by grinding my own and using a French Press...but keepin' it real by using plain ole red bag 8 o'clock coffee beans (I've tried a bazillion different brands/styles and ALWAYS come back to the red bag).:)

I actually stayed away from Starbucks for the longest time because I thought it was snobby. I didn't want half-caff/double-espresso/fat-free Lattes (with a snap )...I just wanted a cup o joe. But I've developed a bit of my own coffee snobbery...satisfied by grinding my own and using a French Press...but keepin' it real by using plain ole red bag 8 o'clock coffee beans (I've tried a bazillion different brands/styles and ALWAYS come back to the red bag).

Roast your own or buy fresh from a local roaster, then we'll talk. :rockin:

Roast your own or buy fresh from a local roaster, then we'll talk.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!:D

After seeing the people I work with happily drink big urns full of hours-old, percolated Folgers for the last 16 years I'm convinced that people just 'develop' a taste for whatever coffee they drink. I think that's why anything but 8 o'clock tastes 'off' to me.

Not a huge fan of most SA's but they are not even close to BMC.FACT:Sam Adams makes the same amount of beer in a year that budweiser does in an hour.It's true too...look it up:D

Back