Beer gas set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I'm stubborn and cheap, I'm sticking with carbonating inside the 35 degree kegerator. It hasn't been a problem yet.

I hooked up the cream ale to 20#s of Co2 and did a taste test every two hours to determine when it had reached a pleasing low carbonation level. I figure that since carbonation happens over time, even if it happens quickly in a cold environment, it still would have to ramp up. It's not like it's going to instantly carb to 2 levels once connected... After eight hours of these taste tests and little carbonation improvement, I left it overnight and checked again after about 18 hours. Still needed a bit more. I checked again after 24 hours, and at this point I was happy with the carbonation level. Although not scientific, it tasted like the same amount of carbonation I enjoy in Boddingtons. I then switched to the Beergas line and served at 30 PSI. I'm happy to report that this method was a complete success, and I chalk up all previous failures to overcarbonation. Perfect cascading action, thick creamy head, and easy drinking. Might need to get the next batch going quickly...

Thanks for the followup!
I've ordered my parts, and I will have individual regulators (5 for CO2), so I could carb with CO2 at any pressure, then swap to beergas simply enough.

Great to know it's working! I'm excited to get set up, and now need to consider what beers to work in to make use of it.

Thanks for the followup!
I've ordered my parts, and I will have individual regulators (5 for CO2), so I could carb with CO2 at any pressure, then swap to beergas simply enough.

Great to know it's working! I'm excited to get set up, and now need to consider what beers to work in to make use of it.

just out of curiosity, where did you get your regulators from?

Great read!

…and if I read this right:
nitrogen is cheaper than argon which is cheaper than beer gas? In that case I would be better off buying a 5lb nitrogen-only cylinder and using only nitrogen to push after carbing with co2? Maybe adding a little CO2 here and there?

For the psi, (after carbing to 1 volume w/co2) would you still serve (push) at 30-35 psi with just nitrogen?

I have a co2 tank w/reg so I would just need to get:

• A 5lb Nitrogen Tank

• Co2 regulator to CGA-580 Nitrogen tank valve (so I can use my co2 reg on the nitrogen tank)

• A stout faucet

Could it really be this easy? I’m missing something right?!?

Great read!

…and if I read this right:
nitrogen is cheaper than argon which is cheaper than beer gas? In that case I would be better off buying a 5lb nitrogen-only cylinder and using only nitrogen to push after carbing with co2? Maybe adding a little CO2 here and there?

For the psi, (after carbing to 1 volume w/co2) would you still serve (push) at 30-35 psi with just nitrogen?

I have a co2 tank w/reg so I would just need to get:

• A 5lb Nitrogen Tank

• Co2 regulator to CGA-580 Nitrogen tank valve (so I can use my co2 reg on the nitrogen tank)

• A stout faucet

Could it really be this easy? I’m missing something right?!?

Yes you could carb with co2, disnpense with pure nitrogen and just give it a co2 shot once in a while. Many people do this.

Nitrogen tanks are sold in cf not lbs, so you would need to see what size tank was a bargain at your local supplier. i.e. the smallest tank they have may cost just as much to fill as the next larger size etc.

As for using your existing co2 regulator with an adapter on nitrogen, it would depend on the regulator. CO2 is approximately 750psi when it gasses off, A full nitrogen tank at my local supplier is compressed gas at around 2800psi. I hooked an older co2 regulator up to the nitrogen tank with an adapter and it leaked badly at the higher pressure.

Depending on how often you plan to use, you might consider an HPA paintball tank with a regulator adapter. If someone near you fills them with nitrogen that is. The HPA tanks have a regulator on the output that reduces nitrogen output pressure to around 750psi.

Thanks for the reply zazbnf...

My co2 reg cam with a new tapper setup from Costco (about a year old now); it has a max psi of 3000 input on the gauge (well, thats the last number on the gauge) and I think I read that nitrogen is usually filled to 2000-2200?

I have a few other questions which I was going to start a new thread on…

After carbonating (1-2 vol) on co2 and moving to 30psi on nitrogen to push, how long will a 20 cf tank last on 5 gal corny kegs? The extra psi on nitrogen makes me think one might get 1 or 2 kegs before needing a refill? And I figure an 80cf will last around 4 times as long?

Looking online I see new 20 cf steel argon/nitrogen tanks (with valve + 10 yr hydro) going for $77; 40 cf for $120 and 80 cf for $190; all with free shipping. I’m leaning towards the 80 cf as I can use it with a tig setup in the future. This will also be dependent if I can find a shop that will refill it onsite… I don’t want to trade bottles.

If you fill a bottle with nitrogen, can you later have it filled with argon?

Nitrogen tanks are sold in cf not lbs, so you would need to see what size tank was a bargain at your local supplier. i.e. the smallest tank they have may cost just as much to fill as the next larger size etc.

As for the cost of nitrogen, any idea what an 80 cf tank would be? I pay $14 for a #5 co2 refill here in Vegas so I’m figuring around $50 or, as you mentioned, could it be only a few dollars more between sizes?

I’ll probably go through 10 gallons of stout every 2-3 months. Any thoughts would be appreciated… prosit

Nitrogen fill pressure varies greatly from place to place. Around here they fill to about 2700psi so a regulator rated at 3000 would probably work fine.

Nitrogen refill on my 40cf tank is $11 here. However a 20cf nitrogen tank fill is also $11 here. Seems most of the charge is for handling your tank not what is inside. My 20# co2 exchange here is $13, a buddy of mine has a 5# tank he has to send off to get filled through the same place since they do not exchange anything that small and it costs him $16 for a 5#, and takes 3 weeks to get it back. Best would be to call as it can vary by place and what size they sell the most of.

When I need a new tank, I simply swap mine as onsite fill is not available and by swapping tanks I never have to worry about hydro testing, they take care of that, but i also bought my tank through them, if you are buying online, I would check to make sure they would even fill or exchange your tank beforehand.

Not sure about changing a tank over from nitrogen to argon maybe someone else here can address that.

The widgets act as an accumulator...When you pop the top...a mixture of beer gas and some stout come shooting out of a small hole. It's like taking a syringe and squirting beer into your Guinness with force. This causes the gases to come out of solution and form a head.

Guinness also came out with the "surger"... It's Guinness in a can that has the same properties as their kegged brew. You pour a glass of this "Guinness Surge" and place it on a surge device. A little bit of water goes on the surge device before you place the glass on it. When you hit the button the device ultrasonically aggitates the beer in the glass causing the gasses to come out of solution. If you wanted the creamy head without the stout faucet...I'd look for a surge device on eBay. You could keep your stout hooked to a regular beer faucet at low carbonation...say 5 psi. Dispense it slowly into the glass without making a head form. Place it on the surge device...and BOOM...creamy head stout!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4M_-bZ9sq8

I know this is an old post. But it fascinated me. And made me wonder if a regular ultrasonic unit could do the same thing? Anybody have any experience with this?

Mike

:mug:

Back