Beer Filtration Systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopjunkie26

Reaction score
So I have been thinking about purchasing a filtration system for kegging. I cold crash and all that jazz, just looking to take that next step in clearing my beer and was looking at a few different options. Really, its just me being anal about the clarity of my beer.

Anyone use these systems that are linked between two kegs? Any suggestions on using them? Which one to use? Am I crazy?

Just wanted to get some thoughts before I made a purchase.

So I have been thinking about purchasing a filtration system for kegging. I cold crash and all that jazz, just looking to take that next step in clearing my beer and was looking at a few different options. Really, its just me being anal about the clarity of my beer.

Anyone use these systems that are linked between two kegs? Any suggestions on using them? Which one to use? Am I crazy?

Just wanted to get some thoughts before I made a purchase.

Be prepared for a host of responses about why filtering isnt necessary. Loss of hop flavor, loss of mouthfeel, cold crashing is all you need, etc., etc., etc.
I filter my beer occasionally using one of the water filter cartridge style filters (1 micron). They are simple to use and set up and work pretty well. I've never noticed a loss of flavor or mouthfeel and have been happy with the results.

I use the water filter cartridge to filter my mead and wine. They work. I've never used it for beer, so I'm still of the camp that you shouldn't need to filter your beer. But if that's what you want to do, go for it.

I have a pair of water filter housings and filter cartridges ordered - 50um and 1um. Both are washable (no way am I going to spend $3-$5 per batch!). I'll post a review soon.

Back