Bay Area (SF) Beer Week Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, Dave Keene, Tomme, and Vinnie were all playing some kind of variation of Cornhole by the secondary entrance area. My only thought was, "I've waited in massive lines for all of you guys."

really? the last 5 or 6 years, I've cruised in at 2 or 3 PM on a weekday and gotten it with no line and no wait.
Yep. Took yesterday afternoon off. Got there just before 3, and there was still about a 2-3 hour wait. Keg blew just after 5.

To the complainers: Stay home if you don't like lines. There's lines to order on an average friday at Toronado as well. 'Tion night wasn't nearly the ****-show you're making it out to be. I had a lovely time. Temptation 10 and T-25 were the personal favorites. Can't complain with the price of the pours either.

Yep. Took yesterday afternoon off. Got there just before 3, and there was still about a 2-3 hour wait. Keg blew just after 5.

the world is changed...

tumblr_m7r4s3pXb21qizfmwo3_500.gif

Has anyone gotten Younger at some place other than the Gala and the Brewpub yet? I haven't gotten any notifications and I have been checking a few twitterfeeds but have seen nothing.

Has anyone gotten Younger at some place other than the Gala and the Brewpub yet? I haven't gotten any notifications and I have been checking a few twitterfeeds but have seen nothing.
Start's hitting today. Will be at the T-Room.

Monks kettle is doing ticketed pours today starting at 11. I think it's $8 or $10 for 10 oz pours, with all profits going to charity.

What Boneyard beers are they having at this event?

From their FB:

Boneyard is in the house this Saturday! As well as Altamont Beer works with their new Scarsity IIIPA, Hella Hoppy, Dirty D, Mahogany, and from Boneyard RPM, Skunk Ape, Diablo Rojo, Very stoked to have these two together and the power will not go out we promise!

Sounds like fun. Unfortunately, there is no, no, no Notorious.

Anyone had any Altamont? Worth making it over if the only Boneyard on that list I want is RPM?

Scarsity (TIPA) and Hella Hoppy are both decent beers, and worth trying, but I'm not sure it's worth coming all the way over from the city for that. Ale Arsenal usually has something by Altamont on tap if you just want to try them eventually.

Scarsity (TIPA) and Hella Hoppy are both decent beers, and worth trying, but I'm not sure it's worth coming all the way over from the city for that. Ale Arsenal usually has something by Altamont on tap if you just want to try them eventually.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Come by Harry's for Crux before hitting AA, if you have time. Go to Toronado early in the day for Younger. :)

I'm probably not going to make it to Harry's, but just in case, I'll PM you my number and what I'm wearing. Maybe we can say hi.

I definitely want to go to Toro once for Younger, but I'm a pretty busy spot at work. :-\

150355_10102466715638913_1756132559_n.jpg

The list wasn't as good as last year, but I went in at 5:15, got my top 3 pours by 6:15ish and was out by maybe 6:45. Not the worst of experiences, but fighting for the bartender's attention at Toronado is never fun.

*edit* - I should mention that I ordered compunction as one of my "Top 3" choices, but was poured some kind of saison instead. I was able to mooch some sips off of the beer pariah (HaveUseenmycellar), but it wasn't the same.
Yeah, was a bit surprised how thin the list was this year. I got there around 8:30 and the place was still packed. I think last year the place was half empty at 8:30. Had a couple pours and was out of there before 9:15. About all I could stand looking at mustaches and ironic shirts.

Yeah, was a bit surprised how thin the list was this year. I got there around 8:30 and the place was still packed. I think last year the place was half empty at 8:30. Had a couple pours and was out of there before 9:15. About all I could stand looking at mustaches and ironic shirts.
I remember my buddy came at like 7 or so last year and there was no line. When I left LH around 7 or so last night, there was still a long line.

So relative to the year before, the list wasn't as good and it was a lot more crowded. Still, getting a pour of T25 and Compunction was nice.

You're probably better off hitting up Willie Birds, Hopmonk(s), or Barley and Hops.
Time is really the issue for me. I'd probably be able to get some if I had a day to go, but I'm already taking a lot of time off at work. Willie Birds might be an option, though.

So... the 64 tap Sierra Nevada takeover at Zeitgeist is looking pretty ripe for the picking. I know this probably doesn't appeal to the tickers, but anyone in?

Why wouldn't that appeal to tickers? Tons of new stuff to check into.
I think a lot of people don't know what "tickers" means.

I had some leftovers from the event at Beer Rev and it's what you'd expect from them. Maybe I'm weird but to me SN has a high floor but a low ceiling. They make basically no bad beer, but also basically no amazing beer.

I had some leftovers from the event at Beer Rev and it's what you'd expect from them. Maybe I'm weird but to me SN has a high floor but a low ceiling. They make basically no bad beer, but also basically no amazing beer.
I feel the same way about them. BA Narwhal was great the first time I had it. I can't think of anything else that touched that tier.

I feel the same way about them. BA Narwhal was great the first time I had it. I can't think of anything else that touched that tier.
I haven't really liked their BA stuff, though admittedly I didn't have the latest and greatest batches of it. I've heard good things about the BA Maple Stout, even though I've been meh on that twice now, some friends got bottles so maybe I'll see.

Went to the Rare Barrel dinner at Mikkeller last night. Given the steep cost ($125/ticket), it was a bit underwhelming. The food was excellent (duck leg sausage was amazing), the ambiance was nice, and it was great to be able to talk at length with Jay and Alex. I guess my main gripes were that the beers served were pretty much the same that they've had at the tasting room for the last month. It would have been nice to get some Fields Forever or the apricot sour that I had on the opening night. That and the food was only five courses which was a little light given the cost. Wasn't the Almanac dinner like 10 courses for the same price?

Went to the Rare Barrel dinner at Mikkeller last night. Given the steep cost ($125/ticket), it was a bit underwhelming. The food was excellent (duck leg sausage was amazing), the ambiance was nice, and it was great to be able to talk at length with Jay and Alex. I guess my main gripes were that the beers served were pretty much the same that they've had at the tasting room for the last month. It would have been nice to get some Fields Forever or the apricot sour that I had on the opening night. That and the food was only five courses which was a little light given the cost. Wasn't the Almanac dinner like 10 courses for the same price?

I was saying tickers more in the sense of people who only want to track down rare/vintage beer. If we are talking sheer numbers 64 is obviously high. Also many people in the area have had most of SN's offerings over time. Even the one-off's and beer camp stuff.

Who else is going to the Lazy Bear/Almanac dinner tonight? I was chatting with some of the Almanac team Tuesday and they said they were going to have an extra keg or two of Brandy Peche in the kitchen in case we were really thirsty, but that they also encouraged showing up a bit early with any bottles you want to share. Anyone else looking to do this? Maybe get there around 6:45 - 7 with a bottle or two, meet some fellow TB'ers?

That cask of Double Chocolate Bomb that Mikkeller was still pouring yesterday was delicious. Went to Cellarmaker afterwards and holy hell am I jealous of all you guys who can drink their beers regularly. That Southern Passions IPA was so damn good.

Who else is going to the Lazy Bear/Almanac dinner tonight? I was chatting with some of the Almanac team Tuesday and they said they were going to have an extra keg or two of Brandy Peche in the kitchen in case we were really thirsty, but that they also encouraged showing up a bit early with any bottles you want to share. Anyone else looking to do this? Maybe get there around 6:45 - 7 with a bottle or two, meet some fellow TB'ers?
I might. Depends when I get home. I'm also trying to survive, so we'll see.

I was saying tickers more in the sense of people who only want to track down rare/vintage beer. If we are talking sheer numbers 64 is obviously high. Also many people in the area have had most of SN's offerings over time. Even the one-off's and beer camp stuff.
The problem is that that's not what "ticker" means. That's a whale-hunter or something.
I was thinking about trying to do some alternate pairings, but we'll probably have enough beer/food as it is, so I probably won't be doing this. But I would like to meet some people.

The problem is that that's not what "ticker" means. That's a whale-hunter or something.

I was thinking about trying to do some alternate pairings, but we'll probably have enough beer/food as it is, so I probably won't be doing this. But I would like to meet some people.
Sounds good. I'll be there, come say hi. I'll be the white guy...with a beard....drinking beer.....uh oh, this could get difficult.

Sounds good. I'll be there, come say hi. I'll be the white guy...with a beard....drinking beer.....uh oh, this could get difficult.
I'll be wearing a blue shirt with a cat genie on it. Unless I change for some reason, fortunately they said to dress as casual as you want so I probably won't.

I'll be in a maroon turtleneck. And I have only a partial beard, from lack of recent shaving. I'm unkempt, not beardy.

I'll be at the Lazy Bear dinner as well. Checkered black and white shirt, blue hoodie, partial beard. Indian, if that helps. Seeing as I have work tomorrow, I'll probably stick to the offered beers. If this was on a Friday, an alt beer pairing would be intriguing. See everyone soon.

Latest posts

Back