Bay Area (SF) Beer Week Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's actually 1.

You said 3 beers were things that don't hit shelves. At least 20 of those aren't in bottles, and therefore didn't hit shelves (and were brewery-only releases).

I agree with you that you have to weigh the crowds and wait time against the beer available. To many, getting to try those beers all in one location is a fun experience and worth fighting crowds. It's definitely a cluster****, as are many of the top events during beer week, but nowhere else can you go and try such a large selection of barleywines, particularly from NorCal breweries.

Your dismissal of events is expected, but you shouldn't exaggerate so much to someone coming in from out of town. It's misleading and a bit elitist, hence the ticker comment. A large majority of the beers served at the barleywine fest are not shelf beers, nor are they "common" to most people, including beer on here. Hell, I haven't had half the beers on that list. Whether or not they're good is another question, and I usually leave that up to people to decide themselves.

And I'm not trying to be condascending, I was just razzing you a bit. I'm just trying to set the record straight for those who may not have attended in the past. Just keep in mind that your criteria for what makes an event worth attending is more stringent than most on here.

All that said, the crowds may make the event not worth it. It's up to you to decide - I just recommend getting there early and sitting near the bar.

How early do people line up for it these days? A few years ago I remember folks getting there at 10 am.

Pro-tip to attendees: bring a six-pack holder if you attend the BW fest. They serve beers in tulips, and it makes sense to grab multiples after a long wait. Free advice.

How early do people line up for it these days? A few years ago I remember folks getting there at 10 am.

Pro-tip to attendees: bring a six-pack holder if you attend the BW fest. They serve beers in tulips, and it makes sense to grab multiples after a long wait. Free advice.
And you could bring more than one six-pack holder, but they won't sell you more than six at a time... that goes for 'tion night, too.

Oh, and Toronado FINALLY updated their website. As usual, it's pretty clear there are multiple mini-events they aren't disclosing, like last year's San Diego night, or that weird Ninkasi/Firestone/Speakeasy event in 2010. Which probably will make every day without an event or Younger worth visiting for.

http://www.toronado.com/events.htm

SF Beer Week Events

Saturday, Feb. 8th, 2:30 - 4:00PM
Firestone WalkerDave Walker will bring a keg of something delicious not yet disclosed to us.

Tuesday, Feb. 11th, 6:00PM
Russian River 'Tion Night16 Russian River draft beers including vintage sours.
***No Pliny the Younger During Event***

Saturday, Feb. 15th, 10:00AM through Monday, Feb. 17th
21st Annual Toronado Barleywine Festival 50-plus craft brewed barleywines on draft.

We will have some amount of Russian River Pliny the Younger during SF Beerweek. We don't yet know when or how much.

If I recall from last year, there was long lines even before opening at Toronado during the week day for Younger. I miss the full pint pours at local spots.

If I recall from last year, there was long lines even before opening at Toronado during the week day for Younger. I miss the full pint pours at local spots.
Oh, they're still out there. You just need to know where to look...

And those lines vanish as soon as Younger does, so it's fine thereafter.

Who else is going to the Lazy Bear dinner with Almanac? I thought it might be fun to do a little side TB beer pairing, we come up with alternate pairings for everything (or some things, it's a lot of food/beer already) and then bring the stuff ourselves. Could be fun! If you're interested let me know, we can set up a conversation and plan it out.
I was trying to buy tickets for that on my phone and it seemed to sell out immediately. I settled for the Rare Barrel dinner at Mikkeler which should still be nice, but not quite *as* special.

Any thoughts on the Sour Sunday at Jupiter this Sunday? I'm trying to appease the lady friend and do more east bay events. Does this one require lining up an hour (+) beforehand?

Any thoughts on the Sour Sunday at Jupiter this Sunday? I'm trying to appease the lady friend and do more east bay events. Does this one require lining up an hour (+) beforehand?
Two years ago there was a wait when I got to Triple Rock at what I thought was opening (it may have been a bit late) and the line wasn't moving at all. Jupiter I think had no line/wait. I didn't go last year for reasons that I don't remember.

It did last yr. I live about 5 min from Triple Rock and there was a pretty big line by 9 or 10 last year. Don't think Jupiter was as bad but not sure.

It did last yr. I live about 5 min from Triple Rock and there was a pretty big line by 9 or 10 last year. Don't think Jupiter was as bad but not sure.
I've heard Jupiter is always the place to start -- and that this year the American line-up is more generally interesting than the European one, anyway.

I've heard Jupiter is always the place to start -- and that this year the American line-up is more generally interesting than the European one, anyway.
Sours aren't really my thing so doubt I'll go. I will go to the release of Kaiser Soze or whatever they're calling it this yr. I generally think Triple Rock beers suck ass, but I was impressed with that one last year.

Cool. I'll see if I can get to Jupiter by 9 or 10.

I wish either Rare Barrel or Sainte would open early tomorrow with it being beer week and all.

Damn Sharks game makes it a little nerveracking trying to get some drinks and make it to the game on time w/ traffic and whatnot in Berkeley or Capitola. . .

OK, where's the best place w/in walking distance of the HP Pavillion (or whatever they're calling it these days) for dinner and beer?

I wish either Rare Barrel or Sainte would open early tomorrow with it being beer week and all.

Damn Sharks game makes it a little nerveracking trying to get some drinks and make it to the game on time w/ traffic and whatnot in Berkeley or Capitola. . .

OK, where's the best place w/in walking distance of the HP Pavillion (or whatever they're calling it these days) for dinner and beer?

http://www.originalgravitypub.com/

OG is within short walking distance to the SAP Center

Hey all. Happy beer week. I spent the last few weeks working on a few new features on my site for the occasion.

One gives you an idea of what beers and bars are trending in SF over the last 12 hours: http://taplist.at/SFBW/

The other is a Pliny The Younger Notifier which will email you when Younger has been seen on tap in your area: http://taplist.at/younger-signup/

I hope you find these useful and have a great beer week!

Quick question - Does anyone know if backpacks are cool to bring to the "gala?" Since nothing is for sale, I can't imagine it wouldn't, but I need to check for the lady friend.

Hey all. Happy beer week. I spent the last few weeks working on a few new features on my site for the occasion.

One gives you an idea of what beers and bars are trending in SF over the last 12 hours: http://taplist.at/SFBW/

The other is a Pliny The Younger Notifier which will email you when Younger has been seen on tap in your area: http://taplist.at/younger-signup/

I hope you find these useful and have a great beer week!
Just curious, how does that work? Are you using the Untappd API or something?

Quick question - Does anyone know if backpacks are cool to bring to the "gala?" Since nothing is for sale, I can't imagine it wouldn't, but I need to check for the lady friend.

Yeah they're allowed. Flash mob bottle share?

Opening gala was fantastic. SF Fusion > Younger IMO. Tons of one offs from local guys that were great, and it was nice to meet a lot of brewers.

Lines were longer than previous years - wondering if the attendee count went up. Never more than 10 minute wait for anything though.

A great start to Beer Week 2014.

went to the American sour thing @ monks. pretty good! the craftsman stone fruit sour was a diacetyl
bomb though...

Hm, that’s too bad… I had it here in SD a few weeks ago and there wasn’t a trace of diacetyl.

Opening gala was fantastic. SF Fusion > Younger IMO. Tons of one offs from local guys that were great, and it was nice to meet a lot of brewers.

Lines were longer than previous years - wondering if the attendee count went up. Never more than 10 minute wait for anything though.

A great start to Beer Week 2014.
Had a great time as well. Really enjoyed the Triple Rock/Sante collaboration beer (Cellarman). But, $80 just seemed so steep for a beer event that didn't include food. Glad I went, but not sure id attend again at that price point

went to the American sour thing @ monks. pretty good! the craftsman stone fruit sour was a diacetyl
bomb though...

Hey I was there too! We met David Walker of Firestone Walker and he was a really nice guy, he said they're releasing their first bottled sour at Barrelworks next month. I had some 2011 Temptation and Consecration which was awesome, and I saw some people trying batch 3 Beatification! $60!!

Hey I was there too! We met David Walker of Firestone Walker and he was a really nice guy, he said they're releasing their first bottled sour at Barrelworks next month. I had some 2011 Temptation and Consecration which was awesome, and I saw some people trying batch 3 Beatification! $60!!

nice! I was pretty into his Land Rover. Saw him milling around, along with the Cascade guys, but didn't talk to them.

Really? Haven't had Younger yet this year, but I wasn't really that impressed with SF Fusion. I wouldn't even put them in the same league.

How can you not put them in the same league if you haven't had Younger this year?

I talked to probably 40+ different people who agreed. Younger tastes grassy (like fresh hops can taste) and dry this year. SF Fusion 20 is brighter, fruitier (mosaic?), more balanced and a better beer overall. I had two glasses of each side-by-side (since my wife doesn't drink IPAs much) to confirm. It's obviously subjective, but I literally did not meet a single person at the opening gala who, having tried both, thought Younger was better. Younger last year was brighter with a bigger citrus punch, with less dryness and less bitterness. It's almost as if they finished the beer at a lower gravity to accentuate the bitterness of the hops. If the hop bill is the exact same, the hops themselves are very different this year.

I'd blame it on a bad keg at the gala or something, but having spoken to people who made the trip to RR to try it at the source (who then hit Lagunitas on the way back), they confirmed. Fusion > Younger. This same thing happened a couple years back.

Younger is boring enough that we cancelled our day trip to Russian River. Will probably hit Lagunitas instead then some other local events.

Had a great time as well. Really enjoyed the Triple Rock/Sante collaboration beer (Cellarman). But, $80 just seemed so steep for a beer event that didn't include food. Glad I went, but not sure id attend again at that price point

Yeah $80 is steep, and although they said they didn't increase ticket count, it felt like there were more people there this year. The prices keep going up every year and while it's a ton of fun, I think I'll spread the love around a bit next year. BA Cellarman was awesome - I ended up getting two pours of it. A bunch of people were lucky enough to get it in bottles yesterday at Sante. Adair told me she thinks its the best beer they've made, and I'm inclined to agree.

Maybe the keg at the Bistro was bad but Fusion was nothing special.

However, the Alpine and Kern 2-hop beers are both gold.

How can you not put them in the same league if you haven't had Younger this year?

I talked to probably 40+ different people who agreed. Younger tastes grassy (like fresh hops can taste) and dry this year. SF Fusion 20 is brighter, fruitier (mosaic?), more balanced and a better beer overall. I had two glasses of each side-by-side (since my wife doesn't drink IPAs much) to confirm. It's obviously subjective, but I literally did not meet a single person at the opening gala who, having tried both, thought Younger was better. Younger last year was brighter with a bigger citrus punch, with less dryness and less bitterness. It's almost as if they finished the beer at a lower gravity to accentuate the bitterness of the hops. If the hop bill is the exact same, the hops themselves are very different this year.

I'd blame it on a bad keg at the gala or something, but having spoken to people who made the trip to RR to try it at the source (who then hit Lagunitas on the way back), they confirmed. Fusion > Younger. This same thing happened a couple years back.

Younger is boring enough that we cancelled our day trip to Russian River. Will probably hit Lagunitas instead then some other local events.

Yeah $80 is steep, and although they said they didn't increase ticket count, it felt like there were more people there this year. The prices keep going up every year and while it's a ton of fun, I think I'll spread the love around a bit next year. BA Cellarman was awesome - I ended up getting two pours of it. A bunch of people were lucky enough to get it in bottles yesterday at Sante. Adair told me she thinks its the best beer they've made, and I'm inclined to agree.
Because I've had Younger before, and though there are slight differences in batches, for the most part, I know what to expect.

For the sake of my comment, I'll revisit this after I try Younger this year.

And just because a couple other people agree with you, that in no way means that "Fusion>Younger." That means nothing to me.

And just because a couple other people agree with you, that in no way means that "Fusion>Younger." That means nothing to me.

Yep, 40+ (estimate) is "a couple." Right. o_O

Try to get Younger side-by-side with SF Fusion. You may be able to do it at Toronado later this week.

Maybe the keg at the Bistro was bad but Fusion was nothing special.

However, the Alpine and Kern 2-hop beers are both gold.

There are a ton of better beers than Fusion 20. Gives you an idea of what to expect with Younger this year.

How's Citra this year?

Yep, 40+ (estimate) is "a couple." Right. o_O

Try to get Younger side-by-side with SF Fusion. You may be able to do it at Toronado later this week.

There are a ton of better beers than Fusion 20. Gives you an idea of what to expect with Younger this year.

How's Citra this year?
I'm sorry, but 40 people still means nothing to me.

It seems like what's really going on here is that you're over Younger. And that's fine. I actually understand that.

But please don't come here and tell me that just because 40 people like Fusion better, means that Younger isn't great. It reminds me of all the asinie "Sucks is better than (blank)" convos from BA.

But please don't come here and tell me that just because 40 people like Fusion better, means that Younger isn't great. It reminds me of all the asinie "Sucks is better than (blank)" convos from BA.

I never said Younger isn't great. But there are a lot of great beers out there. I'll leave it up to you to decide if you like Younger or Fusion better. I'd be surprised if you picked Younger, because that means you and I have drastically different palates.

And for the record, I'm not over Younger, I'm just trying to have some discussion about a beer that is hyped beyond anything reasonable. If you don't care to read opinion posts, and if another person's opinion doesn't really mean anything to you, feel free to move along.

Last edited:
Back