Bay Area (SF) Beer Week Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be wearing a blue shirt with a cat genie on it. Unless I change for some reason, fortunately they said to dress as casual as you want so I probably won't.
I'll be rocking a pink (well, salmon) and blue button down and dark jeans with grey boots, and will be with a short blonde girl. Just found out an hour ago that I got the job I really wanted, in Austin,TX, so I will be leaving SF in 2 weeks. I'm considering this a celebration meal, super excited.

I'll be rocking a pink (well, salmon) and blue button down and dark jeans with grey boots, and will be with a short blonde girl. Just found out an hour ago that I got the job I really wanted, in Austin,TX, so I will be leaving SF in 2 weeks. I'm considering this a celebration meal, super excited.
Congrats, hail, and farewell! Jester King pipeline?

whaaaaat you're leaving?!

Maybe I'm weird but to me SN has a high floor but a low ceiling. They make basically no bad beer, but also basically no amazing beer.

Agreed, until the amazing part:

SNPA is and always will be amazing to me. Srs. Perfect 5s across the board for me.

No lines. $20.99/24 bottles. I'm totally over this nonsense. Beatification 6 release and SFBW got me that 'straw that broke the camels back' and all 'get off my lawn' about craft beer.

SNPA, some Cascade & Bruery orders, and trading for CW -bals once a year. I think thats my sweet spot.

You guys are cool though (TB & DDB).

I'll need to trade to get me some Knee Deep somehow!

First, congratulations on the job! I remember vividly my first job I got that I really wanted, such feelz :)

Second, I never thought I'd ever hear someone say they'll need to trade for Knee Deep! Then again, I never thought they'd make a damn good beer like Simtra, so what do I know!

Agreed, until the amazing part:

SNPA is and always will be amazing to me. Srs. Perfect 5s across the board for me.

No lines. $20.99/24 bottles. I'm totally over this nonsense. Beatification 6 release and SFBW got me that 'straw that broke the camels back' and all 'get off my lawn' about craft beer.

SNPA, some Cascade & Bruery orders, and trading for CW -bals once a year. I think thats my sweet spot.

You guys are cool though (TB & DDB).
I can't give SPNA full marks because it's too easily replaced. Though its cost is a pretty good point, I wonder how much their kegs are. But it was really hard to beat Daytime kegs for <$10/gallon.

How was the Summer 2010 Vintage?
Holding up surprisingly well. The fruit is even more faded than the last time I had it, but the oak is more prominent and integrated in the flavor. Much better than I was expecting.

The Biere de Mars, on the other hand, is really oxidized and gross now. Worst of all the beers.

Holding up surprisingly well. The fruit is even more faded than the last time I had it, but the oak is more prominent and integrated in the flavor. Much better than I was expecting.
I totally agree with this. That beer surprised me and my fiancee was making fun of me for trading the extra couple I had socked away. I can't remember who got those, trxxpaxxs maybe?
The Biere de Mars, on the other hand, is really oxidized and gross now. Worst of all the beers.
I thought it was fine. Tasted like honey. Didn't like that pairing though.

Overall the dinner was incredible. Best meal of my life. The crab dish was something I could eat until I explode.

If anyone's curious here's an imgur album of the pictures I took of the beer/food. I'll be adding descriptions and stuff shortly.

I totally agree with this. That beer surprised me and my fiancee was making fun of me for trading the extra couple I had socked away. I can't remember who got those, trxxpaxxs maybe?

I thought it was fine. Tasted like honey. Didn't like that pairing though.

Overall the dinner was incredible. Best meal of my life. The crab dish was something I could eat until I explode.

If anyone's curious here's an imgur album of the pictures I took of the beer/food. I'll be adding descriptions and stuff shortly.
That crab...man I'm still thinking about that. The swordfish belly was fantastic too.

First, congratulations on the job! I remember vividly my first job I got that I really wanted, such feelz :)

Second, I never thought I'd ever hear someone say they'll need to trade for Knee Deep! Then again, I never thought they'd make a damn good beer like Simtra, so what do I know!
Simtra is great. Really enjoy that beer.

I might go with squab as my favorite. Astounding meal.
I think the squab suffered a tiny amount from being the last entree, at that point I was getting really damn full. Also I'm a sucker for soups, so that bisque was going to be hard to top.

I think the squab suffered a tiny amount from being the last entree, at that point I was getting really damn full. Also I'm a sucker for soups, so that bisque was going to be hard to top.
When everything is that good, it's hard to argue against basically any position. Certainly one of the best meals of my life, and by far the least expensive one in that tier.

Yeah, $125 a seat is certainly not cheap, but I'd pay $9 for any of those plates again. Incredible meal.
Definitely. And when all that beer is free on top of that? Absurd.

Other surprise of the night for me was how good Farmers 4 is now. Last I had it, it was pure lemon sourness. It's kind of mellowed into a sparkling lemonade flavor now. Beautiful pairing, as well -- though the food was the star of it. A perfect palate cleanser.

Yeah, $125 a seat is certainly not cheap, but I'd pay $9 for any of those plates again. Incredible meal.
When you factor in all the food, and all those beers, plus service being included...it actually wasn't that bad at all. I've been to Lazy Bear before and can say with certainty, this was my favorite one yet.

The foie dish and the curbs and whey were just awesome. I even, for a second, thought about licking my plate.
Touch_My_BrettSacch great meeting you yesterday. Best of luck in Austin!
I did.

Thanks man, great meeting you as well. I'm always open for some beer trades when I get out there. Constant supply of Prairie and Jester King, among others.

Someone say Farmer's #4? My favorite Almanac, love that beer, wish I bought more when it was available
0F0IeVC.jpg

stupac2, are you the same person that I met at Cellarmaker this past Tuesday?

stupac2, are you the same person that I met at Cellarmaker this past Tuesday?
Maybe, I was there on Tuesday but don't particularly recall meeting anyone new. Though, to be fair, I was getting somewhat drunk by then and have a shitty memory under good circumstances.

I was with Jay and Bill, and you were wearing a green shirt if I recall

I can't give SPNA full marks because it's too easily replaced.

I can pick SNPA out of any tasting, no matter how many hop bombs, sours, or barrel aged **** I've been drinking.

Something about that beer, its pine hop aspect, just doesn't seem to be replicated for my tastes. The closest thing I've ever had to its flavor profile (yes, I realize you're probably saying there's plenty of easily found 'substitute goods' for a pale ale) was actually the Fairfield Budweiser's Pacific Ridge Pale Ale. I absolutely believe they reverse engineered/recipe'd SNPA for that one.

I was with Jay and Bill, and you were wearing a green shirt if I recall
Oh right, yeah. I don't think I got your username, and I think we actually had met before!
I can pick SNPA out of any tasting, no matter how many hop bombs, sours, or barrel aged **** I've been drinking.

Something about that beer, its pine hop aspect, just doesn't seem to be replicated for my tastes. The closest thing I've ever had to its flavor profile (yes, I realize you're probably saying there's plenty of easily found 'substitute goods' for a pale ale) was actually the Fairfield Budweiser's Pacific Ridge Pale Ale. I absolutely believe they reverse engineered/recipe'd SNPA for that one.
Your parenthetical is correct. I'd just as soon drink 1500 or whatever, so it's pretty easily replaceable even though the beers all taste unique.

Yes, I was talking to you about how I met you at the Mikkeller Bar grand opening in the sour room when there was about 20-30 bottles of 1998 3F Oude Geuze that everyone opened

Bear Republic Tartare Rouge has been released to the world, and it is ****ing fantastic. I'm sure this will be popping up at some events this weekend. Be on the lookout.

I had it at the Gala and it was one of my favorites, along with BA Cellarman and Almanac's Valley. Is regular Tartare spontaneously fermented? The sign at the Gala said Rouge is...

And FWIW, I had Younger again yesterday and Fusion again Tuesday before the sours went on at TION night. Still stand by my previous statement - Younger is off this year...so grassy, dry and bitter. Like Hopslam without the honey. You get to try it them yet?

I also grabbed a couple Citras at GHS on Monday (damn good this year!) but I think Half Hitch from Crux is the best Imperial IPA I've had all week. ****, maybe all year. Apparently I like Mosaic. A lot. The event at Harry's was awesome.

Aaand, I'm done for this year. ****in' beer'd out. Gonna take at least a week off and try to recover.

Bear Republic Tartare Rouge has been released to the world, and it is ****ing fantastic. I'm sure this will be popping up at some events this weekend. Be on the lookout.

had it at Burger. in Santa Cruz over the weekend. tasty.

had it at Burger. in Santa Cruz over the weekend. tasty.
I had it at the Gala and it was unpleasantly musty. There were some really nice sour undertones, but the overlying flavor was unpleasant to me.

Having some Boneyard and Altamont at Harry's Hofbrau San Leandro. I like how "I'M SKIPPING BEER WEEK" turned into going to bars or tasting rooms six times so far. Shut up Arbitrator, you cock. You love SFBW.

Last edited:
I had it at the Gala and it was one of my favorites, along with BA Cellarman and Almanac's Valley. Is regular Tartare spontaneously fermented? The sign at the Gala said Rouge is...

And FWIW, I had Younger again yesterday and Fusion again Tuesday before the sours went on at TION night. Still stand by my previous statement - Younger is off this year...so grassy, dry and bitter. Like Hopslam without the honey. You get to try it them yet?

I also grabbed a couple Citras at GHS on Monday (damn good this year!) but I think Half Hitch from Crux is the best Imperial IPA I've had all week. ****, maybe all year. Apparently I like Mosaic. A lot. The event at Harry's was awesome.

Aaand, I'm done for this year. ****in' beer'd out. Gonna take at least a week off and try to recover.
Yes, regular Tartare is spontaneously fermented.

I am going to get some Younger today. Will report back.

jtmartino

Finally got to try some Younger. I will concede that this year's is not as amazing as before. It's more bitter on the back end, with less fruity flavors. I still had four of them, cause after all, it's still a great beer. But I can see where you are coming from in preferring Fusion to this.

jtmartino

Finally got to try some Younger. I will concede that this year's is not as amazing as before. It's more bitter on the back end, with less fruity flavors. I still had four of them, cause after all, it's still a great beer. But I can see where you are coming from in preferring Fusion to this.
How long did you wait in line?

Back