Batch pasteurize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r4dyce

Reaction score
Hi all. I was thinking about batch pasteurizing my next 3 gal cider batch. Essentially transferring from fermenter directly to a large pot and brining up the temp to 140 F. From what I read this should do a good job of killing off the yeast. My hesitation is: Is this too big of an oxygenation risk that it will really create off flavors?

Yeah, that was the one defense I could see to the open/batch pasteurize. If you are going to bucket it and stir in backsweetener/etc... then you are already going to oxidize it. You need to watch out for the boiling point of alcohol, which is in the 170's though. I think it would be a toss up between trying to get it done faster versus controlling them temp closely.

I have done this with ciders and meads. If you rack into your pot as if you were going into your bottling bucket. Slowly raise the temp, and gently stir periodically as it gets closer to the pasteurization temp. Chilling it is also another thing to be aware of. I racked into my keg, after pasteurizing, hit it with a good dose of CO2, 25 psi if I recall, and put it in the fridge. After it was chilled, then I continued to force carb it.

I have done this with ciders and meads. If you rack into your pot as if you were going into your bottling bucket. Slowly raise the temp, and gently stir periodically as it gets closer to the pasteurization temp. Chilling it is also another thing to be aware of. I racked into my keg, after pasteurizing, hit it with a good dose of CO2, 25 psi if I recall, and put it in the fridge. After it was chilled, then I continued to force carb it.
Yeah good point chilling might work too. my batch is a bit bigger than my keg. So I'm juggling between sweetening and pasteurizing which would give me about a gallon leftover of still, or I guess I could just pastuerize the bottles after a few days of carbing up. I've done it a few times with no issue but it always makes me nervous.

Back