Batch 2, both of them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenaka

Reaction score
After some learning both during and after my first brew, I had the time to start up my second batch this weekend. With a 2.5g fermenter, I found that unless I bought a kit refill (which I didnt want to do) most ingredients are packaged for quantities you would need for a 5g batch. So I decided I would buy 5g worth of ingredients and make the same batch twice. Take what I learn during the first half, apply it to the second and compare the results.

• The yeast I purchased (wyeast 1084) instructions stated to incubate it for 3 hours so setting this up was my first step. Yeast was the one ingredient I couldn't just cut in half but I've been told the extra shouldn't be a problem. I was a little paranoid about exploding the entire bag while trying to break the inner packet but after about 30 whacks I finally got it

• While I waited, it was sanitation time. I found that star san didnt give me water spots after drying like the mystery powder from my kit had so I was pleased with the results.

• My recipe called for 3 different grains and I had them all in the same muslin sack. Wasnt sure if this was the correct way to go or if they are all supposed to have their own. Added about 1.25g of water to my stock pot and heated it to 160. Turned off the hear, added the bag, stirred it lightly, and put the lid on. I came back to stir again 3 times over the 30 minutes I steeped. I meant to check the temperature at the end to see that it had stayed in the 150-160 range the entire time but I wound up forgetting so I dont know for certain how warm it stayed.
  • Learned the hard way how difficult it is to get 3lb of lme out of a 6lb container and went slightly over (3.12). I'll either have to get separate 3lb containers next time (more expensive) or figure out a better method for getting exactly half of it out. Stirred and brought this to a boil before adding any hops.
  • My first hop was supposed to go in for 60min so I added that as soon as I got a boil going, and also lowered the flame to where it would still boil but wasnt a rolling boil. The second hop was added 30 minutes later, and with 15 minutes left some Irish Moss. Out of curiosity I checked the temperature near the end and had been boiling at 192 degrees.
  • At the end of my hour boil, I removed the heat and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Then moved the pot to a sink full of water to cool it. When the water warmed up a few minutes later, I added ice to the sink to cool things down and after a while got my wort down to 120.
  • I put about a gallon of cold tap water into the fermenter, then slowly added the wort and was at just shy of 2 gallons and about 78 degrees. more cold tap water to get up to my 2.5 gallon mark which cooled it down to 75 degrees. Now my yeast stated to be at 65-72 and so I had hoped I would come in the 66-68 range. At this point I wasn't sure if I should be getting the temperature down more first or if I should be closing everything up fast to avoid any contamination. I chose the latter and added the yeast right away and then closed my fermenter up and put it in a cooler with ice water to get the temperature down the rest of the way.
  • A while later I checked in and as at 70, so I still am cooling it just a little more before I try to get it to maintain temperature for a few days.

My recipe states to ferment at 62-72 (I wasn't expecting this to be a different from what the yeast package itself says) so my plan is, once fermentation is evident in a few days, to lower the temperature a little more and try to maintain it as close to 64 as I can.

I tried splitting a bag of LME like that. I made a bit of a mess and couldn't get equally divided either. If I can't get the proper amount of LME then I go for DME.

I take a measuring cup and pour hot wort in the bag after I've scraped what I can out. This gets nearly all of it.

For small batches and splitting yeast I like the dry yeasts. Quite easy to divide it up.

For the liquid yeast you could make the starter and possibly get close to equally dividing it. Good enough for government work...

Too much 1084 yeast? Nope, you are fine. During the lag phase guess what the yeast do? They multiply so they can metabolize all the sugar. So your not pitching too much yeast. The second batch can be thrown on the first batches yeast cake. So your fine. Don't worry, have a beer.

Star San is impressive. Don't worry, have a beer.

As for all the three grains, when you drink your beer are you drinking all three? Yup. it's perfectly fine to have the grains mixed in your bag, no need to separate the grains. Don't worry, have a beer.

For getting 3 lbs. of LME out of a bottle, you did well. You were only an eighth of a pound off. It works, you did good. Don't worry, have a beer.

Your beer wort does need a vigorous boil and your recipe depends on you evaporating 12-15% of your boil volume. So yeah make sure you are boiling it. You were a bit tender. Don't be worried about boiling the snot out of it. But you got it hot. Don't worry, have a beer.

Buy an immersion wort chiller or if you have a ported brew pot yet get a plate chiller from dudadiesel.com. You will really consider either one as indispensable. It's important to get your exposed wort chilled ASAP to prevent inadvertent infection. Your method works but short of a no-chill method with a large high density polyethylene container, you will want some sort of chiller as your next purchase. Your method is just a pain. Worry and stay sober.

Adding water to a concentrated wort recipe is one thing but it can be overdone easily. When your beer starts to taste watered down you'll know the source. Your temperatures are ok. You can pitch yeast in the 80's as long as you are continuing to drop the temp to usually the high 60's for ale yeast. Don't worry, have a beer.

As the vigorous fermentation starts on the first and second day, the wort temp can rise by itself due to all the activity. The wort becomes a thermal mass by itself. You can continue to cool it to keep it in the 60's. Try not to let it get much above 72 degrees F or it will generate fruity esters. But you should be ok in the mid 60's. Adequate yeast pitch, like you did, and stable fermentation temp control are two keys to success in making beer. The other two rules to follow are being anal about cleaning and sanitation and the fourth rule is follow the first three. Don't worry, have a beer! Happy Brewing!

As for all the three grains, when you drink your beer are you drinking all three? Yup. it's perfectly fine to have the grains mixed in your bag, no need to separate the grains. Don't worry, have a beer.

My concern was maybe one of them not having as much of an impact because it was buried in the other two in the bag. But if thats not a problem, great!

Your beer wort does need a vigorous boil and your recipe depends on you evaporating 12-15% of your boil volume. So yeah make sure you are boiling it. You were a bit tender. Don't be worried about boiling the snot out of it. But you got it hot. Don't worry, have a beer.

Ahh, thanks. Since everyone just says "boil" I went middle of the road. I'll crank er up next time though.

Adding water to a concentrated wort recipe is one thing but it can be overdone easily. When your beer starts to taste watered down you'll know the source. Your temperatures are ok. You can pitch yeast in the 80's as long as you are continuing to drop the temp to usually the high 60's for ale yeast. Don't worry, have a beer.

Just to be clear, I wasnt adding "extra" water to cool it, I was just getting it up to the 2.5g I needed.

As the vigorous fermentation starts on the first and second day, the wort temp can rise by itself due to all the activity. The wort becomes a thermal mass by itself. You can continue to cool it to keep it in the 60's. Try not to let it get much above 72 degrees F or it will generate fruity esters. But you should be ok in the mid 60's. Adequate yeast pitch, like you did, and stable fermentation temp control are two keys to success in making beer. The other two rules to follow are being anal about cleaning and sanitation and the fourth rule is follow the first three. Don't worry, have a beer! Happy Brewing!

Fermentation has begun and now I seem to be holding it steady at 64-65.

For some reason I now have the urge to relax, and have a beer. :tank:

Too much 1084 yeast? Nope, you are fine. During the lag phase guess what the yeast do? They multiply so they can metabolize all the sugar. So your not pitching too much yeast. The second batch can be thrown on the first batches yeast cake. So your fine. Don't worry, have a beer.

Star San is impressive. Don't worry, have a beer.

For getting 3 lbs. of LME out of a bottle, you did well. You were only an eighth of a pound off. It works, you did good. Don't worry, have a beer.

Buy an immersion wort chiller or if you have a ported brew pot yet get a plate chiller from dudadiesel.com. You will really consider either one as indispensable. It's important to get your exposed wort chilled ASAP to prevent inadvertent infection. Your method works but short of a no-chill method with a large high density polyethylene container, you will want some sort of chiller as your next purchase. Your method is just a pain. Worry and stay sober.

Poor Guys gonna be two drunk to worry. LOL Have a beer.

Ya did good. Nice fermentation temperature too. Pretty soon you'll be having your own beer from the prior batch. All the best my friend and welcome.

Out of curiosity I checked the temperature near the end and had been boiling at 192 degrees.

this is concerning... the wort should be boiling above 212 F... that is a difference of 20 F! Even if you are in Denver it should be above 202 F.

Either it wasn't boiling or your thermometer is WAY off.

Check the thermometer it in boiling water (should read damn close to 212 F if you are close to sea level) and ice water (should read 32 F).

You don't want to have your pitching temperature at 100 F when you think you are pitching at 80 F...

this is concerning... the wort should be boiling above 212 F... that is a difference of 20 F! Even if you are in Denver it should be above 202 F.

Either it wasn't boiling or your thermometer is WAY off.

Check the thermometer it in boiling water (should read damn close to 212 F if you are close to sea level) and ice water (should read 32 F).

You don't want to have your pitching temperature at 100 F when you think you are pitching at 80 F...

See, this is why I decided to tell the story of my batch instead of just asking questions. So people could point out things I wouldn't have even known to ask about.

I made a glass of ice water, and took a shower to make sure it had enough time for the temperature to be stable. It came in at 32-33 so that ends looks good. Then put water in a small pot and brought it to a rolling boil. Measured at 208, a little low but not add bad as feared. I must have been doing something wrong measuring the wort, and will have to be more careful with my measurements. Hopefully I wasn't steeping too warm from this. Thanks for the catch.

I hadn't realized it could be correct at freezing but off at boiling. Maybe I ought to check mine too...

See, this is why I decided to tell the story of my batch instead of just asking questions. So people could point out things I wouldn't have even known to ask about.

I made a glass of ice water, and took a shower to make sure it had enough time for the temperature to be stable. It came in at 32-33 so that ends looks good. Then put water in a small pot and brought it to a rolling boil. Measured at 208, a little low but not add bad as feared. I must have been doing something wrong measuring the wort, and will have to be more careful with my measurements. Hopefully I wasn't steeping too warm from this. Thanks for the catch.

Some thermometers take a while to stabilize, but it sounds like yours is OK (do you know your altitude? at 208F you should be about 2000 ft above sea level http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/boiling-points-water-altitude-d_1344.html)

Just make sure you give it time to read when you steep and prior to pitching yeast.

Back