Basic Lagering Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rnm410

Reaction score
My understanding of Lagering:

Primary fermentation: ~46-55*F until 75+% potentially more of gravity target (10-20 days?)
Diacetyl rest: 58-65*F for 2-5 (or more) days
Lagering Phase: <46*F for 1-3 (or more) weeks

My first and only lager went:

48*F @ 10 days to 90% completion (1.050 to 1.013 SG)
63*F @ 5 days D-rest
Currently in week 1 of lagering phase @ 39*F

My question
Is the purpose of the lagering phase to clear the beer, i.e. settling haze and yeast?
Or, does the lagering phase still have active fermentation, just as an ale goes from young (green) beer to conditioned and ready for bottles/kegs.

In the quick lager method above, fermentation is done by the lagering stage, its more a cold conditioning stage (when using the quick lager method i usually keg and condition at 33).

In the cold conditioning phase, haze and yeast settle out, as do tannins. And overall the flavors mellow. The rule of thumb is 7-12 days per 2 degrees plato, (darker lagers taking longer) and that in my experience seems to be a good guideline.

My first lager I kegged it once it was done fermenting and do the D-rest. It was good but by the time the kick it was really GOOD :tank:

I have another lager tap and it has been hard for me to let it age/lager before I start enjoying the nectar of the gods. :mug:

As in all things brewing, there's more than one way to get from point A to point B. I used to use a more traditional schedule like those mentioned here but recently have been doing something I adapted from Brulosopher: one week at 50, one week at 64, one week at 35, and then keg. Although they are perfectly yummy at that point, they are still a little hazy, so I usually let them sit at 35 for 6-8 weeks in the keg. Can't say I don't sample then occasionally though. During that time they do clear and turn into liquid gold.

So if I am correct to understand the phase after d-rest is primarily to clear the beer and maybe a tad of character rounding?

That's my understanding. After about 3 weeks, my lagers are within .002 of FG, which is pretty much finished for all practical purposes.

Anyone else want to input before I filter the yeast out of my lager in a few days?

Woah! That's why you're asking? :)

I'm not sure whether the continuing flavor development would occur if all the yeast is filtered out. Hopefully someone else will chime in here.

Lagering does help remove the yeast which makes it clearer but it also give the yeast a lot more time to clean up after themselves. With ales, the yeast work at a higher temp so they can clean up quicker. Since lagers are fermented cooler and stored cooler (lagering), it takes longer for the yeast to work and clean up. That is why you raise the temp for the d-rest. The long lagering phase gives them more time to clean up and fall out. It also gives more time for the flavors to mend. Think about the ales you have made. Typically they start to taste better after being kegged or bottled for a few weeks. That is basically what the lagering phase is doing.

I understand. Yes I have moved ales of off yeast too soon and the flavors never cleaned. I guess it is a matter of finding that point when it is right for a lager to be moved.

Latest posts

Back