American IPA Base Pale Ale Recipe for Single hop Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless something screws up my day, I'll be whipping 3G of this up with talus hops tomorrow. I hope no one holds it against me too badly for using whirfloc though!

It's in the fermenter. Never used talus before, but it smelled damn nice. Even my wife commented that it was one of the better smell brew sessions she's had to deal with. Dunno when I'll get around to it but also planning on using this recipe with an impulse buy of galaxy. Otherwise I always end up resorting to 100% 2 row, or adding in a little C40 and that gets...boring.

Kind of a bad pic, but solid beer. Passion fruit, grapefruit, and something else we can’t quite place. This recipe has much, much better body than most of my pale ales.
Talus hops:
AA28FF24-68A6-4ACE-B80A-FF98EC144637.jpeg

Kind of a bad pic, but solid beer. Passion fruit, grapefruit, and something else we can’t quite place. This recipe has much, much better body than most of my pale ales.
Talus hops:
View attachment 709606
perhaps a hint of coconut? The first time I had it, it was from a local craft brewery which makes great beers and it had Nelson along with HBC 692 i.e. Talus. When I tasted it I got a faint taste of coconut. Then I looked HBC 692 up and found out it had been named Talus and its the product of sabro and open pollination. I hate coconut, therefore I have never had a sabro beer Ive liked, even if its not prominent. I can taste coconut a mile away! I "tolerated" it in the beer with nelson i.e. I drank the rest of the beer but my wife loved it. lol

perhaps a hint of coconut? The first time I had it, it was from a local craft brewery which makes great beers and it had Nelson along with HBC 692 i.e. Talus. When I tasted it I got a faint taste of coconut. Then I looked HBC 692 up and found out it had been named Talus and its the product of sabro and open pollination. I hate coconut, therefore I have never had a sabro beer Ive liked, even if its not prominent. I can taste coconut a mile away! I "tolerated" it in the beer with nelson i.e. I drank the rest of the beer but my wife loved it. lol

mhmm could be, I’ll have to see what I detect later. That was an early pull off a ukeg, rest are in bottles. I lean towards herbal, wife saysit’s more of a woody/floral thing. I can’tpinpoint it, but I really like it. I’d like to taste what some better brewers with more dialed in processes could do with it. But for an impulse buy, I regret nothing!

So Im planning on another one of these but with Riwaka this time but seem to have run into a little snag. I typically have been following the hop schedules as the OP posted but modifications to adjust IBUs. However, with riwaka Aa listed at 6.3% on my YVH packages, the highest I seem to get for IBUs is about 33 whereas the other hops used for this base recipe have always been about 40-42 IBUs so thats quite a difference and OG is 1.058 on all of these. Thus far, Im adding:

1.5oz to 60min boil (25.2 IBUs) and 1.0oz to 10min boil (10.3IBUs), and 3.0oz steep at 160 for 45 minutes (5.0 IBUs) = 40.5 IBUs total : 2oz DH at 3 days.

So seems Im just upping the boil additions to get the IBUs while still steeping at lower temps like I want. All my IBUs are beersmith estimates. These IBUs seem right? Im usually NOT adding this much to the boil, but do want the IBUs to be in the neighborhood of 40 for this receipe.

So Im planning on another one of these but with Riwaka this time but seem to have run into a little snag. I typically have been following the hop schedules as the OP posted but modifications to adjust IBUs. However, with riwaka Aa listed at 6.3% on my YVH packages, the highest I seem to get for IBUs is about 33 whereas the other hops used for this base recipe have always been about 40-42 IBUs so thats quite a difference and OG is 1.058 on all of these. Thus far, Im adding:

1.5oz to 60min boil (25.2 IBUs) and 1.0oz to 10min boil (10.3IBUs), and 3.0oz steep at 160 for 45 minutes (5.0 IBUs) = 40.5 IBUs total : 2oz DH at 3 days.

So seems Im just upping the boil additions to get the IBUs while still steeping at lower temps like I want. All my IBUs are beersmith estimates. These IBUs seem right? Im usually NOT adding this much to the boil, but do want the IBUs to be in the neighborhood of 40 for this receipe.
The Riwaka I have from 2020 is really potent. That’s definitely a really cool thing to have such low of an alpha but a lot of potency. You could always deviate and use a clean bittering hop like magnum or horizon. Either way it will make a good beer

The Riwaka I have from 2020 is really potent. That’s definitely a really cool thing to have such low of an alpha but a lot of potency. You could always deviate and use a clean bittering hop like magnum or horizon. Either way it will make a good beer
Yeah thats what Ive heard. I don't have any magnum or horizon but I do have some warrior, so I might do that.

just kegged this Riwaka pale ale today. Force carbed the left overs, and its great! Difficult for me to pick out all the flavors, but it seems to me that this is the NZ version of Citra. Strong citrus (has that sweet fruity citrus on the end of palate) but with a little NZ-esque punch in the middle of the palate. Love it! Poor lighting on the pictures, but its great. I did deviate from the recipe given Riwaka's low AA. So I used warrior at the 60 minute, then did Riwaka additions the rest of the way: 10min boil (0.5oz), WP @ 160 (3oz), DH (2oz). VERY strong flavor. Although I said very Citrus (Citra) dominant, it also has some depth due to the "NZ punch" i.e a little diesel but not much given my schedule and addition amounts.

So, now that I have an idea of what this brings to the table and the fact that Ive done Citra, Nelson, Galaxy before, Im thinking my next NEIPA will be Riwaka, Nelson, Galaxy. Just got to figure out the bittering (boil) hops and the ratios now.

Shout out to @Dgallo for this recipe too. This is the 4th Ive done with this recipe (Idaho 7, Centennial, and Waimea were my others) and I am always stoked to see just how well these are drinkable on keg day (soft crash, DH, hard crash, keg procedures).

IMG_9107.jpg
IMG_9089.jpg

just kegged this Riwaka pale ale today. Force carbed the left overs, and its great! Difficult for me to pick out all the flavors, but it seems to me that this is the NZ version of Citra. Strong citrus (has that sweet fruity citrus on the end of palate) but with a little NZ-esque punch in the middle of the palate. Love it! Poor lighting on the pictures, but its great. I did deviate from the recipe given Riwaka's low AA. So I used warrior at the 60 minute, then did Riwaka additions the rest of the way: 10min boil (0.5oz), WP @ 160 (3oz), DH (2oz). VERY strong flavor. Although I said very Citrus (Citra) dominant, it also has some depth due to the "NZ punch" i.e a little diesel but not much given my schedule and addition amounts.

So, now that I have an idea of what this brings to the table and the fact that Ive done Citra, Nelson, Galaxy before, Im thinking my next NEIPA will be Riwaka, Nelson, Galaxy. Just got to figure out the bittering (boil) hops and the ratios now.

Shout out to @Dgallo for this recipe too. This is the 4th Ive done with this recipe (Idaho 7, Centennial, and Waimea were my others) and I am always stoked to see just how well these are drinkable on keg day (soft crash, DH, hard crash, keg procedures).

View attachment 713913View attachment 713914
Looks great man. I really like Riwaka. Such a cool hop and really supports a lot of different hops

Brewed this recipe a week ago with Ella. I had the opposite problem to @Noob_Brewer and had to move the hop schedule later in the boil and whirlpool with the high 18.1% AA these hops are packing to keep the IBUs down. Based on how the hops smelled, though, I'm pretty excited for this beer.

I've been a little disappointed with how my NEIPAs have been turning out so I'm hoping to find hops that would help make a real fruit bomb.. Interested to see if this would be a good candidate.

I guess it's not the point, but I really just like this recipe in general, it is a nice drinking beer almost no matter what hop I've put in it so far.
I'm about to keg Amarillo, and Simcoe is on deck.

I did a slightly modified version of it around Thanksgiving, drank around Christmas: I did it with Galaxy, but swapped the initial bittering addition for a half oz of Horizon. Also I had a little bit left in the pack and dry hopped with about 3.5oz instead of 2. This version had a decidedly bitter finish that my first Galaxy batch (100% according to the original recipe) did not have. At first I thought it was some hop burn from the extra dry hop, but it never went away. Could this be the Horizon? I've used it in the same way before in some slightly different recipes and didn't notice this exactly; that was from a different pack of Horizon though.

I love to see everyone's thoughts on various single hopped brews in this thread, you guys are definitely saving me a lot of work. @Noob_Brewer how would you rank the single hop ones you've done? It sounds like Riwaka is up there?
Everyone else's rankings are appreciated too!

For my contribution to the thread, I did an HBC630 brew that YCH sent me for Virtual Hop Harvest. I only had 6oz of it though, so I had to pair it with Citra since I know exactly what that brings to the table.
Evaluating 630 pellets by smell, I got the exact descriptors that you'll find online - candied fruit, cherry notes and some mandarin. In terms of the beer itself, I got a whole plethora mandarin and pineapple. More than your standard citrus and cantaloupe that I usually get from Citra, I got a good deal of candied pineapple from this brew. Not much cherry as expected, but definitely candied fruit notes, maybe those candied orange slices you see in the candy stores. Not a bad hop - I wouldn't use it solo in a pale ale or even an IPA, I think Talus has been much better and more potent. 6.3% IPA definitely tastes like more of a pale ale.

Last edited:
I love to see everyone's thoughts on various single hopped brews in this thread, you guys are definitely saving me a lot of work. @Noob_Brewer how would you rank the single hop ones you've done? It sounds like Riwaka is up there?
Everyone else's rankings are appreciated too!

For my contribution to the thread, I did an HBC630 brew that YCH sent me for Virtual Hop Harvest. I only had 6oz of it though, so I had to pair it with Citra since I know exactly what that brings to the table.
Evaluating 630 pellets by smell, I got the exact descriptors that you'll find online - candied fruit, cherry notes and some mandarin. In terms of the beer itself, I got a whole plethora mandarin and pineapple. More than your standard citrus and cantaloupe that I usually get from Citra, I got a good deal of candied pineapple from this brew. Not much cherry as expected, but definitely candied fruit notes, maybe those candied orange slices you see in the candy stores. Not a bad hop - I wouldn't use it solo in a pale ale or even an IPA, I think Talus has been much better and more potent. 6.3% IPA definitely tastes like more of a pale ale.

Its kinda hard to rank the ones Ive done with this base recipe because they all are so different and I chose them for kinda different reasons. To date, Ive done 4 of these: Idaho 7, Centennial, Waimea, Riwaka. My centennial one doesn't really count though as I promptly doused the keg with a Jalapeño tincture (my wife wanted a jalapeño pale ale and she got it!).

I did Idaho 7 because Id heard lots of people talking about "some" orange but also dank and/or black tea. The idaho 7 (2019) lot that I got was straight orange. VERY good, refreshing, but not as in your face as the big banger hops. Nonetheless, I was using it as a whirlpool hop primarily so was interested in what it brought to the party by itself.

Waimea was a great surprise. Descriptions state lots of pine needles with lots of citrus. But with the high AAs, most of what I saw commercially with Waimea was for the bittering (boil) additions. Given its a NZ hop, I was also curious if it had that similar NZ diesel/pepper. It didn't. This hop had a nice bright bittering, but the biggest flavor I got was sweet & bright mangoes. I wasn't expecting that, but again, great surprise.

Riwaka carries the diesel/spicey vibe some people love and others hate. Personally I dig it as long as its not overpowering. I did have to cheat on this one and used warrior for 60min because riwakas AAs are so low. I did this pale ale after I read Hill Farmstead's article of their "return of riwaka" Riwaka pale ale and they were going to experiment in using riwaka the way they used citra. So that convinced me to try it. Although Im 1000% positive, HF has better picks of riwaka than we get lol. Nevertheless, its a great citrus forward NZ hop. Out of the other hops Ive done with this recipe, Riwaka is the most multi-dimensional to me. My wife LOVED waimea, but thinks this one is just "good" because I think she's more of the fruit lover than the NZ spice. So individual preference is a big one.

Cheers!

EDIT: I will also add, that for all of these beers, Ive always studied/drank/guzzled my hydrometer sample after fermentation is done and before soft-crash and then dry hopping. I find it very cool to note what the hop gives me from the hot side only and then again after dry hopped in the finished beer. For example: I got barely any of the NZ diesel pre-dry hop from the riwaka, but in the finished beer, the it is prominent from only a 2oz DH. So this is how Ive been approaching these single hopped pale ales myself. I find knowing what the hop gives from the hot side and post-dry hop is very helpful in recipe formulation.

Last edited:
I brewed a fumbled 1.75g version of this the other night with columbus, galaxy (FO) and mosaic (WP). I miscalculated my boil and ended up with 1.5g and didn't put my WP hops in until it was at 110F (got distracted during cooling). Also mashed a bit higher than I wanted to. Lessons learned. Fingers crossed

Should I dry hop with columbus and/or mosaic? (I'm out of galaxy)

Last edited:
I would really like to find a way to make a split batch of this in my Grainfather. Like 5 gallon batch split evenly but with totally different hops. I'm reluctant to brew 5 gallons of Ekuanot beer in case it's terrible.

I would really like to find a way to make a split batch of this in my Grainfather. Like 5 gallon batch split evenly but with totally different hops. I'm reluctant to brew 5 gallons of Ekuanot beer in case it's terrible.
Can you drain the grainfather at anytime?

I bottled my version tonight. It tasted better than I had expected. It had tons of hop flavor. I was expecting some dankness from the columbus, but I got none at all. It was all fruit.

Going to give this a shot with Galena!

Would love to hear a report back on how this turns out. I've got a 8 oz bag of Galena and only 1 recipe which calls for it...in the amount of one flipping ounce.

I've got a batch of this with Vic Secret right now. It was an open bag, and I was worried about it getting old so I just decided to go with it. Had a little less than an ounce left after setting aside what I needed for the dry hop, so I setup a hop cage in the keg I'm planning on racking it to. I'll let it sit in there for a week at temp, then transfer to a serving keg.

Would love to hear a report back on how this turns out. I've got a 8 oz bag of Galena and only 1 recipe which calls for it...in the amount of one flipping ounce.

I've got a batch of this with Vic Secret right now. It was an open bag, and I was worried about it getting old so I just decided to go with it. Had a little less than an ounce left after setting aside what I needed for the dry hop, so I setup a hop cage in the keg I'm planning on racking it to. I'll let it sit in there for a week at temp, then transfer to a serving keg.

Report back on the vic secret! I did this recipe a while back with an open bag of vic. The vic secret was not good, but really liked the recipe anyway if that makes sense.

I’ll be hanging around this thread and will keep you updated! Probably won’t get to brew it until next week unless I do a small one gallon batch and scale it up if it’s good.

It's been a little over 2 weeks since bottling, so I tried one last night. Carbonation is right and it has a nice, white fluffy head. The awesome fruity flavor and aroma have almost completely disappeared. I'm careful to minimize oxidation when bottling. I'm not sure where my flavor went. I do plan on getting a keg setup later in the year.

Vic Secret

So I force carbed at 35 psi, at 34 degree’ish for 3 days. Keeping in mind, it is sitting on 2 oz of hop pellets in the keg too. So I’m testing/tasting right at the head of it being ready.

The batch is definitely prettier than my Galaxy one, but that has nothing to do with hops.

Definite tropical aromas, with a bit of piney. Tropical character there in the body, feels like a bit of tangerine as well. That pine though...in the finish and just seems to linger in the mouth as an aftertaste.

Not sure if that is the hop, or a sign that I should transfer to a diff keg to get them off of the hops. Thoughts?

E354721E-9CCE-4B89-B1ED-F95967557E28.jpeg

After having a Sloop "Sabro Bomb" a while back and thinking it was awesome, I dropped the Sabro version in the fermenter yesterday. Coming out of the kettle, it had that same pronounced orange aroma remember from the Sloop, so I have high hopes.

Vic Secret

So I force carbed at 35 psi, at 34 degree’ish for 3 days. Keeping in mind, it is sitting on 2 oz of hop pellets in the keg too. So I’m testing/tasting right at the head of it being ready.

The batch is definitely prettier than my Galaxy one, but that has nothing to do with hops.

Definite tropical aromas, with a bit of piney. Tropical character there in the body, feels like a bit of tangerine as well. That pine though...in the finish and just seems to linger in the mouth as an aftertaste.

Not sure if that is the hop, or a sign that I should transfer to a diff keg to get them off of the hops. Thoughts?

View attachment 720479
Anytime someone uses the term 'lingering', it makes me think astringency. Normal beer flavors even pine or dank shouldn't linger for an unpleasant amount of time. Hopefully getting off the hops helps. FWIW I did a single hop pale ale awhile back with Vic Secret and different grain bill(heavy vienna) and it was a tropical juice bomb. Not that that means anything, I know different years and lots of the same hop can vary dramatically

Anytime someone uses the term 'lingering', it makes me think astringency. Normal beer flavors even pine or dank shouldn't linger for an unpleasant amount of time. Hopefully getting off the hops helps. FWIW I did a single hop pale ale awhile back with Vic Secret and different grain bill(heavy vienna) and it was a tropical juice bomb. Not that that means anything, I know different years and lots of the same hop can vary dramatically

Astringent...is exactly what it is. Having read about it, but not yet having the misfortune of having brewed a beer with it evident I wasn’t sure that it was. I do know, thanks for classifying what I was tasting.

Glad I did decide to transfer off of those additional hops in the keg? Not sure if those may have attributed, and as of yesterday still pretty harsh. I’ll give it another week or two?

Back