Bartering beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HopMama

Reaction score
I'm going to trade some beer for heirloom tomato plants my friend has started. Pretty excited! Anyone else enjoy bartering with friends?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I would rather drink a 1000 beers than eat 1 tomato. :D

But to your question, I have never bartered anything other than a swap for beer or wine and that has only been a few times. Typically I just give it away and enjoy the positive feedback and completely ignore any negative. ;)

I love tomatoes!! I do a lot of canning, so I'm pretty excited to have some different varieties to mix in with my sauces and stewed tomatoes, and eat this summer:) I do wish I had a friend close who brewed beer...It would be fun to trade beer with them:)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've traded homebrew for labor help before but that's about it. "Free beer while you're here" kind of thing.

Selling homebrew is illegal in the USA, which includes bartering. Read more here.

Beer made under §25.205 may be removed from the premises where made for personal or family use including use at organized affairs, exhibitions or competitions such as homemaker's contests, tastings or judging. Beer removed under this section may not be sold or offered for sale.

This law firm expands that "sale" includes bartering for goods or services:

The laws are very clear that any selling [of homemade beer] is illegal. I am unfamiliar with any state, at this time, that allows people to sell homebrew. Selling is not just taking cash in exchange for the beverages. Selling also includes leaving out tip jars, taking “gifts” or cash obviously intended to be in exchange for homebrew. This also includes bartering goods or services for homebrew. Bartered goods and services are considered income, which means when you barter with homebrew you are engaging in a buy-sell transaction.

Some additional googling shows similar conclusions that, in fact, no - you can't barter with homebrew legally. So, if you wish to do so anyway, I wouldn't recommend posting about it on a public forum.

TiberIamnotalawyerBrew

As Tiber_Brew said, bartering for homebrew, whether goods or services, is illegal currently in all 50 days, so it's really not up for discussion here on our forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back