Ball Lock Post Won't Tighten

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scparks

Reaction score
Hey Brewers,

I looked all over the site and was not able to find an answer to my question. If I missed the answer feel free to direct me to the thread.

Anyway, I have a couple of older pin lock kegs. I just got a couple conversion kits for ball lock. I had taken my keg into Adventures in Homebrew to make sure I got the right size. Everything seemed to go on well once I got home. A couple days later I noticed a substantial amount of fluid on the bottom of my keezer. I removed the keg and went to tighten the liquid post and as I tightened it, it just became more loose. It's as if the post will only tighten so much.

Do you guys think I have the wrong size? The gas post seems to fit just fine. I know that the gas and liquid posts are different. Should I try to switch the position of each post?

I hope that is clear enough. Thanks for all the help on these forums already.

Scott

sounds like threads could be stripped maybe - hard to tell with out being there - hope somebody has had the same problem and can help you... bump

It may be stripped threads or the sheer wrong thread/thread length size. Where is it leaking from, under the post? Have you checked the diptube and its o-ring? Is the right kind of poppet in it?

If you need to investigate deeper, I'd rack the beer into another (pre-purged) keg first, with a liquid to liquid bridge.

Is it possible that you have the wrong ball lock connectors? like Crony's on a spartan type keg or vise versa?

I would think that it's stripped as well but I put it on without too much force.

The dip tube is the same one I was using before and it has a new o-ring on it. I'm using the poppet that came with the post. How would I know if it was wrong?

Thanks

Back