Ball lock gas post leaks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matasata

Reaction score
I have one keg that will sometimes leak if you wiggle the disconnect. It otherwise holds pressure if the disconnect is off the keg and it doesn't matter which disconnect I put on it the behavior is the same.

It is a fine keg and I hate to lose it, but I can't trust it hooked up to my tank if it's going to randomly leak.

Is this fixable?

Have you tried replacing the O ring on the post and lubing with keg lube? That would be the first thing I would try. If thst fails you can buy replacement posts.
Good luck,

Obviously, the opening begs the question "Did you actually ever replace the o-ring?

If that's a chronic condition and you've already replaced the o-ring, examine the post, paying particular attention to the top-most
"rim" that holds the o-ring. Some times that gets dimpled (aka "bent") which if bad enough pinches the o-ring and can easily mess up the seal, but it's usually easy enough to straighten out.

Cheers!

Is it a pinlock keg by chance? If so, you probably have a ball lock sized o-ring on the post, which is just a touch thinner than what it needs to be.

Ya don't get rid of the keg, worst case scenario, you just replace the post. If you REALLY want to get rid of it, send it to me! Ball lock kegs are running low out there. Midwest is no longer selling them individually, only with a kegging kit.

Sorry for the slow update. Work is interfering with my beer. :mad:

I tried a new... "found what I thought was a new o-ring" in my catch all brew drawer. I put it on and it was a constant leak. It had to be a new o-ring because all I use are ball lock and the baggies of new o-rings all go in that drawer. Anyway I swapped a post on a freshly empty keg.... Until we brew again my sweet golden friend.... And it was fine with no leaks.

I guess I'll buy a new post. For the life of me I can't see any difference between leaky and normal post, but oh well.

Probably not the best fix for the long term, but I've been able to seal up some leaks by lubing the o-ring, tightly wrapping a couple of layers of teflon tape, more lube, then reconnecting the gas. These were pin lock kegs, but I don't see why there would be any difference.

This is wierd... at least to me.

The 7/8" post fit the leaky key perfectly, but the 11/16" post that came off the leaky keg won't fit on the other keg. Well it starts to screw on but will not screw in all the way. I was hoping to use the keg to carb up 1/2 a 10 gal batch of dunkelweizen.

I really need to get this out of the fermenter ASAP.

I didn't know the posts were not interchangeable.

After cleaning up a bunch of sanitizer off the floor I have scientifically deduced that the post won't hold pressure.......

Latest posts

Back