Ball Lock Coupler Fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Brewzer

Reaction score
I am sure this has been answered before, but I am not finding the answer to my question. If it is already on here, I apologize in advance!

I am just getting started with kegging, and I am trying to figure out which sets of keg couplers to get. I have ball lock kegs, so that part seems simple enough, but I do not understand the differences and/or benefits of all the different types of coupler fittings (ie. quick disconnect, MFL, barb, etc.). What do you all use, and are there any clear reasons to to use one over the other, or just get what is cheapest?

BTW, if it helps, I would like the ability to switch out a set of ball locks for a sankey coupler if I want to throw in a commercial brew.

Thanks!

We use ball lock with barbed fittings, but if you want to switch back and forth just get the ones with the threaded fittings. I know Williams Brewing has a kit for that, but I'm sure you could figure out what you need by eye balling it.

MFL (threaded) are awesome. I'm always swapping hoses around for one reason or another, and MFL makes it SOO convenient.

I'll dissent and say I prefer regular barbed... fewer parts and all. The only time I need to remove a QD from the hose is when I'm replacing the hose. I do have one MFL set so I can swap in my Sanke tap if need be, but I haven't used a commercial keg in years.

Latest posts

Back