bad yeast starters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
I made two yeast starters this time yesterday. I boiled 400g of light dme in 4litres of water, then split it into two 1gal demijons, shook a lot, and pitched my two different wyeasts. - had airlocks on, then read that foil was better, so replaced with sanatised foil.

I've seen no activity, I've been shaking every hour or so, but after searching abit I've found people rarely see activity, BUT, I have no sedement formation, even over night.

Now I wanted to brew today, two batches, but I'm worried I've killed the yeast.
I don't think my starters have helped the yeast, but am I lucky enough for it to just be in suspention?

All I can think is, the dme boiled over when I wasn't near it, and that's caused the starter wort gravity to be too high. Other than that I followed every step instructed.

Even if my sanitation was bad, (don't think it was, only today got starsan, had been using a rinse off sanitiser) but even if it was I should surley still see some form of change.

The yeast only flocculates out when it has finished its job, so your yeast is probably still active and growing nicely! I think that while fermentation has a few visible signs, the aerobic reproduction phase is rather hard to spot, so it sounds fine to me!

Yea one of them looks great now! Problem is, the other doesn't? Still no sediment or activity, whereas the other has a thick yeast layer. These were made the exact same way, the dme was boiled all together and split between thr jars, they've sat side by side so why one would work the the other not is beyond me!

Probably because you've put a whole different breed in the other one - you wouldn't expect a poodle and a pit bull to grow at the same speed! Give it some time I'm sure you'll be fine!

Back