50% DME + 50% Dextrose For a Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barleycapable

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to spin up a starter today, but I'm running low on DME, and the homebrew store is closed today, so I was thinking of supplementing with sugar.

I know that a 100% sugar starter is a bad idea (I've read the xBMT and heard others' bad experiences) but what about half and half and some yeast nutrient? Does anyone have experience doing this?

A 50/50 DME/Dextrose starter isn't a great idea, for the same reasons a 100% Dextrose starter isn't a great idea. It'll be better than 100% dextrose, but still not ideal. Adding yeast nutrient could mitigate the nitrogen deficiency, but won't balance the carb profile, i.e. it won't approximate the main batch beer wort's profile very well.

You're making a starter to (presumably) get an adeqaute number of yeast cells, in a fully ready to go state. Personally, I'd put off the brewing schedule until I could do it right.

Just make some wort with a small mash in a (large enough) kitchen pot.
Lauter, small sparge, and boil for 15 minutes.
Then chill the pot in the sink with cold water.
==> Perfect fresh starter wort!

Use good/perfect sanitation of course.

Back