Bad Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpoppa

Reaction score
Ok..so I was brewing an extract Spiced Winter Ale and for the first time I used those smack packs from WYeast. It appeared to be fermenting fine, so today I moved it to the secondary and gave it a taste and I taste no alcohol at all. Tastes just like malt. Am I screwed here or is there a way to recover even if it means pitching yeast again.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Jim

I hear to jump start fermentation...you can use an adjunct called amylose (sp?) I bought some, but haven't tried it yet.

I hear to jump start fermentation...you can use an adjunct called amylose (sp?) I bought some, but haven't tried it yet.

Oh, no don't do that!

If fermentation didn't happen, you need to add YEAST, not a chemical!

Dry yeast is fine, but if the SG didn't change, the first pack of yeast might have been non-viable. If fermentation seemed to occur, it's weird that there isn't any change in SG but that's the only way to tell if fermentation occurred.

Thanks for the great feedback, so it seems at this point, I should just at yeast and see what happens?

Questions I have are...

1- What was your O.G.?

2- Did you see any visible signs of Fermentation?

3- What is your Gravity at now?

4- What Yeat did you use and at what temp did you ferment at?

5- Howe long did you give the Yeast to do it's job?

Oh, no don't do that!

If fermentation didn't happen, you need to add YEAST, not a chemical!

Dry yeast is fine, but if the SG didn't change, the first pack of yeast might have been non-viable. If fermentation seemed to occur, it's weird that there isn't any change in SG but that's the only way to tell if fermentation occurred.

He said it appeared to be fermenting? I'm still just a noob though, so I have no problem with 2nd opinions...

And amylose isn't a chemical (if what I've read about it is correct)...it's just yeast food...glucose to be exact..

And amylose isn't a chemical (if what I've read about it is correct)...it's just yeast food...glucose to be exact..

No, actually it's an enzyme and it breaks down unfermentable sugars into sugars that your yeast can eat.

The problem is, a lot of times it works a little too well and you end up with a super dry beer.

Intresting! This may be another argument for doing a yeast starter for each batch of beer that you use liquid yeast.

I only make a starter with over 1.050 wort. Smack packs always has worked with one exception on a lager yeast, had to repitch once. Again, some great questions earlier. Og? Current gravity? Etc? It may be fine and just finished early or is still kicking.

No, actually it's an enzyme and it breaks down unfermentable sugars into sugars that your yeast can eat.

The problem is, a lot of times it works a little too well and you end up with a super dry beer.

He said that it was an extract brew, unlike in an AG batch where you might not have hit your mash temp and ended up with the wrong types of sugars, there should be plenty of sugar to ferment.

-kap

Latest posts

Back