Awesome Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yogensha

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just had the best brew day in a long time and I have to share with a group that can appreciate :)

I attempted my first roggenbier last spring and it was a total disaster. That mash would not run no matter what I tried and after hours of straining I ended up with the cloudiest most oily looking wort I'd ever seen. And the finished beer sucked.

I gave it another shot today, and everything was smooth as silk. Better than I'd expected and even better than usual. The mash ran perfectly and the wort is absolutely beautiful! Even cleanup was inexplicably easier than usual.

The only black mark on the day is that I overshot my OG because I anticipated difficulty lautering and overcorrected. I'm not at all dissatisfied though. I'm exhausted, intoxicated and have a huge smile on my face!

Brew on my friends!

Nice!

I just bottled my Roggen yesterday. It was BIAB, with a recipe comprising about 47% rye. My brew day went well, but the carboy looked quite nasty with all the trub and globs of sticky protein floating around. After a couple weeks, that started to settle out, but I had used Weihenstephan yeast, which isn't very flocculent. Racking to the bottling bucket was messy and I got more trub in there than I wanted to. Wish I had racked to secondary to clear things up some. But the hydro sample tasted great and I'm looking forward to drinking this!

Latest posts

Back