Automated Valves - Are They Worth It?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

schematix

Banned
Reaction score
I've been doing some research, and have come across the Alfa Laval valves, but am hesitant to ask how much: "...If you have to ask, you probably can't afford"

http://www.alfalaval.us/products/fluid-handling/valves/Double-seat-valves/unique-cp-3/?id=170380

Anyone have any experience with these? True sanitary 3-way valves, but I'm sure interface with BCS/Arduino will be problematic.

I'm hoping Johnson can come up with something, but "if" they do, will likely take some time. For my build plans, I may just stick with manual 3-piece valves and silicon hoses until I can wrap my head around where and what I want automated valves for.

Anyone have recommendations for building out the BCS control panel with room for future expansion?

We use these in the plant i work in... They cost thousands each. Nice though.

Cioffi

Reaction score
Not trying to pat myself on the back here... but I fixed this problem with a proportional valve. Using an arduino, flowmeter, and proportional valve, the sparge rate is automatically maintained, independent of pressure/temperature conditions. If has very fine control and a V-groove cut into the ball for more linear response to input signals.
BrunDog, I'm interested in your set up for sparging. I just bought a used BCS 462 and am reconfiguring my rig. I would love to automate the sparging phase. Is there somewhere you can point me to show how you did this? Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi Cioffi. Unfortunately, that ship has sailed somewhat. I no longer use the BCS/Arduino combo. PM me as a reminder (I am OOT) and I can see if I still have the Arduino code you can use. I don't have any documentation on the wiring, though it is fairly straightforward if you are comfortable with basic control circuits.