Automated Valves - Are They Worth It?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been doing some research, and have come across the Alfa Laval valves, but am hesitant to ask how much: "...If you have to ask, you probably can't afford"

http://www.alfalaval.us/products/fluid-handling/valves/Double-seat-valves/unique-cp-3/?id=170380

Anyone have any experience with these? True sanitary 3-way valves, but I'm sure interface with BCS/Arduino will be problematic.

I'm hoping Johnson can come up with something, but "if" they do, will likely take some time. For my build plans, I may just stick with manual 3-piece valves and silicon hoses until I can wrap my head around where and what I want automated valves for.

Anyone have recommendations for building out the BCS control panel with room for future expansion?

We use these in the plant i work in... They cost thousands each. Nice though.

Not trying to pat myself on the back here... but I fixed this problem with a proportional valve. Using an arduino, flowmeter, and proportional valve, the sparge rate is automatically maintained, independent of pressure/temperature conditions. If has very fine control and a V-groove cut into the ball for more linear response to input signals.

BrunDog, I'm interested in your set up for sparging. I just bought a used BCS 462 and am reconfiguring my rig. I would love to automate the sparging phase. Is there somewhere you can point me to show how you did this? Thanks.

Hi Cioffi. Unfortunately, that ship has sailed somewhat. I no longer use the BCS/Arduino combo. PM me as a reminder (I am OOT) and I can see if I still have the Arduino code you can use. I don't have any documentation on the wiring, though it is fairly straightforward if you are comfortable with basic control circuits.

Back