attenuation of renaud yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hexangel013

Reaction score
i've done some searching and could not find anything on this so...does anyone know what the attenuation rate for the renaud yeast strain is?

i cultured it out of a bottle of mystic table beer and am using it in a lemon zest saison...just trying to figure out where the f.g should be.

i've tried to contact mystic but after an email saying that my question would be forwarded to the appropriate party i never heard anything else.

any help would be greatly appreciated

pat

Mystic is run by biologists and i belive that "renaud" is a strain that they discovered and have not released for public sale nor any information about its properties.

In my knowledge of the beer you should expect around 80% if not a touch more with a healthy pitch.

Sauterneal is FANTASTIC btw!

thanx for the response...i figured it would be up there.
i think i used 80% in beersmith to give me a rough est.

i've only had their table beer and will o wisp...had to get those while on vacation in vt.

can't get mystic in the sometimes blackhole that is western ny.

just updating if anyone is intrested...my lemon zest saison shows 89% attenuation fermented at around 66-68 degrees

As far as I'm concerned, the published attenuation figures appear to be a work of fiction.
For example, WLP002 has a published attenuation of 63 - 70%, but I regularly get 80% from the first generation, and slightly more for the second and third generations.

-a.

One of Wyeast's biologists has publically stated the same - the numbers are garbage. Except for a few outliers, most all ale yeasts attenuate within 1-3% of each other. Wort makes a far greater difference.

Any updates from people who've brewed with the Mystic house yeast? I'm in the process of culturing it, and want to have some data to put into BeerSmith. Attenuation, temps, flavors?

I know the main recipe developer at Mystic reasonably well, and while the strain they currently use is a "house" strain, he indicated to me recently that you can get very similar results with the Dupont strain, WLP565. Most of their experimental yeast stuff is released as the Vinland series, but their saisons use a more traditional saison strain. As far as temps, he said that in general you should (1) pitch saison yeast at standard ale rates in the mid-to-high 60s F, and then (2) let it free rise into the 80s after a couple days at the pitch temperature, and finally (3) let the beer sit on the yeast cake for a few weeks to get a final gravity between 1.5 and 2 degrees Plato.

Latest posts

Back