Aspiring All-Grain Convert

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerSavesLives

Reaction score
I will start off by saying that I am a long time lurker that has come to these forums for all kinds of help through my extract brews (Thank you all!). I have read a few books on the subject of home brewing so I have, at the least, a basic understanding for the All-Grain process. I am currently deployed and unable to brew but had plans to upgrade some gear and wanted to do a partial mash. After thinking about it I said screw it and have decided to make the jump to All-Grain. I had recipes I made up that I planned to brew when I got back home and so I did my best to convert em to AG.

TLDR: My problem, I have a water softener at my house, so I will be brewing with distilled water, which previously was not an issue. I'm not looking to get super into the water aspect of it this early, but I don't want to completely ignore it and make terrible beer after going AG. I have used EZWater, BeerSmith, and Bru'n water to try and build a balanced base water profile. The issue I am having is they're giving me different reading. BeerSmith and EZ are giving me very similar pH while Bru'n Water is giving me a lower pH. I've read that Bru'n Water seems to be accepted as the more accurate tool but I just wanted to get some advice and insight. Thank you!

Grain Bill:
6# 2-Row
3# 6-Row
1.5# Munich
1# Flaked Oats
8oz Melanoidin
8oz Carafa II
8oz Chocolate US
13# Total

I've read that 5.4-5.6 pH is recommended for the beer style I'm going for.

Mash Volume: 16.65 qts at 1.25 water/grain
Sparge Volume: BeerSmith has it at a two step batch sparge 1: 0.81 gal 2: 3.41 gal

Unadjusted pH:
BeerSmith - 5.54
EZWater - 5.59
Bru'n Water - 5.15

BeerSmith Adjustments:
.5 g Gypsum
2 g Calcium Chloride
2 g Epsom Salt
.3 g Gypsum to Sparge
Adjusted pH: 5.51/ 5.45 with 1ml 88% Lactic

EZWater Adjustments:

.5 g Gypsum
2 g Calcium Chloride
2 g Epsom Salt
.3 Gypsum to Sparge
Adjusted pH: 5.56 / 5.49 with 1ml 88% Lactic

Bru'n Water Adjustments:
.8 g Gypsum in both mash + sparge
.8 g Calcium chloride in mash + sparge
.4 g Epsom Salt in mash + sparge
2.1 g Baking Soda in mash
Adjusted pH: 5.35

Last edited:
Just a thought but do you have an outdoor faucet? Most often those would bypass the water softener. Then all you would need would be 1/4 Campden tablet to remove any chlorine/chloramine.

I'm actually planning on turning half my garage into a little brewing area when I get back and I have access to my water line in there. I was thinking of tapping in before my water softener. My concern was that my water is being softened for a reason, would the hardness not mess with my beer? I had planned on getting it tested once I setup a sink anyways. But planned on getting at least one distill brew down as iveI been dying to brew for months now haha

I have a water softener that removes the mineral that cause mineral deposits and make it difficult to clean my hair. The hard water makes very tasty beer. I'd brew with the hard water and see what you get. It might be awesome.

I have since posting this looked at the general water tests they do annualy to ensure they're afe to drink and didn't notice that the water was in fact that hard so I'm thinking that I may be on the same boat as you. I think I am going to get the water tested once I tap into the supply before the softener and just do my first brew with it and see how it goes. Thank you for your insight. I just have a tendancy to want everything to be perfect and I think that win's out over the voice in my head that just says screw it.

Back