Are you a Snob or an Enthusiast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to be a snob...joking about liking "real beer" as opposed to that swill put out by the macro breweries. Even then, I'd drink it if I was tailgating and that was what was available, or at the golf course where they didn't have any craft beer. I do remember golfing at a best shot tourney where the other two we were paired with snuck in some IPAs. After a couple millers, they gave me one and I could have kissed them.

Now I'm more of an evangelist. I don't judge, people who like swi...I mean macros (kidding about the swill), I try to accommodate them if they're my guest at home or when we're out.
But, I do try to expose people to other types of beer. Many think all craft beer is bitter as hell or black roasty tar. I like to show them other types of craft beer...most people who try a wide variety of craft beer find one that really speaks to them. I try to facilitate that journey, but also try not to be pushy about it. I provide opportunities, I don't shove it down their throat.

My wife is in education and I hang with her co-workers a fair amount. I took an assortment of craft beer the first time I went to one of their end-of-the-year parties. I ended up going back home for more and a number of them are now really into craft beer. They also are always asking me to bring my latest homebrew.

It's pretty cool when you see someone try a good quality craft beer and have the eureka moment.

I actually run into The Condesender quite often, especially at BeerFests. At one of the annual beerfests the local BMC distributor always asks for volunteers to pour. Evidently there are some rules against distributors pouring. Anyways... they bring Goose Island, Founders, Golden Road, Ninkasi, Elysian, and Red Hook. I am always amazed by how many people won't even go near that row of tents. At the end of the day he always sends me home all the open cases. By next year, I hope to have a jumper made so I can transfer from his sanke kegs to my corny because any keg that gets tapped is tossed when they are done, even if we only poured a gallon of it!

I actually run into The Condesender quite often, especially at BeerFests. At one of the annual beerfests the local BMC distributor always asks for volunteers to pour. Evidently there are some rules against distributors pouring. Anyways... they bring Goose Island, Founders, Golden Road, Ninkasi, Elysian, and Red Hook. I am always amazed by how many people won't even go near that row of tents. At the end of the day he always sends me home all the open cases. By next year, I hope to have a jumper made so I can transfer from his sanke kegs to my corny because any keg that gets tapped is tossed when they are done, even if we only poured a gallon of it!

Wow! Like hitting the free beer jackpot!

Here's the interesting thing about the BMC type of lawnmower beers...like any other style they have their place. And if you travel around the world you'll find that a lot of countries have their own version of it. Obviously some are better than others with more character or interest but at the end of the day they're all simple light lagers. But many countries I've traveled to, that's EXACTLY what you want...try chowing down on some spicy Thai noodles when it's 100F in the shade and try to tell me that cold light lager doesn't go down perfectly. It's all about context and the balancing act of your palate when you're pairing food with beer and the lawnmower beers definitely have their place too.

Drink what enjoy, screw the haters

Here's the interesting thing about the BMC type of lawnmower beers...like any other style they have their place. And if you travel around the world you'll find that a lot of countries have their own version of it. Obviously some are better than others with more character or interest but at the end of the day they're all simple light lagers. But many countries I've traveled to, that's EXACTLY what you want...try chowing down on some spicy Thai noodles when it's 100F in the shade and try to tell me that cold light lager doesn't go down perfectly. It's all about context and the balancing act of your palate when you're pairing food with beer and the lawnmower beers definitely have their place too.

Drink what enjoy, screw the haters

Personally I think the Mexicans do the style the best. I’m not gonna lie I love Modelo especial...Pacifico is a close second. Living in Los Angeles for 5 years now I’ve developed a taste for it. I’ve also tried a number of Asian versions of BMC and it’s not so great....ever had HITE? It’s Korean and it tastes like rubber bands lol. The Asian supermarkets sell it in plastic 2 liters....never again.

Beer snob: Has particular tastes in beer and is judgmental of others' choices of beer.
Beer enthusiast (or beer geek): Has particular tastes in beer but doesn't care what others drink.

I'm in the latter category. Many people prefer BMC. I don't, but to each their own.
Me too... Yesterday's Hefeweizen.

IMG_20190524_161538.jpeg
IMG_20190524_161627.jpeg

Personally I think the Mexicans do the style the best. I’m not gonna lie I love Modelo especial...Pacifico is a close second. Living in Los Angeles for 5 years now I’ve developed a taste for it. I’ve also tried a number of Asian versions of BMC and it’s not so great....ever had HITE? It’s Korean and it tastes like rubber bands lol. The Asian supermarkets sell it in plastic 2 liters....never again.

Agreed, there are some real nice Mexican lagers available and you listed 2 of my faves too...and damn do they pair well with some street tacos or a spicy mole sauce!

Asian lagers are more hit or miss I found, you gotta try them all to see which are decent...probably my 2 faves were:

Beer Lao - Laos
Angkor - Cambodia

Laos in particular features some scorching hot (albeit delicious) dishes so a nice crisp cold lager really helps cool the throat and tastebuds for more.

Back