Are the yeasties dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went out to check gravity reading, touched the side of fermenter and it felt warm. Stuck in thermometer and it read 91F. Not sure if my Johnston Controller is messed up or not. Gravity reading is at 1.020 and ready for dry hopping. What should I do? Dry hop and bottle in a week? Will it ever carbonate? Help!!

When did you pitch the yeast? What yeast?
91 is obviously hot, but I'd be more concerned about off flavors.

if you really feel they're dead, you could add bottling yeast in the bottling bucket

I believe you have get over 110 (or even 120) degrees F before you have to worry about killing your yeast. Those temps, however, will make you worry about fusel alcohol production and other off-flavours we try to avoid - some that will age out, some will not.

I actually think if you get the temp down and bottle, you should be okay. If you are worried, add the bottling yeast but keep an eye on them.

Proof it- Take out about a half a cup and put in a couple tablespoons of table sugar, let it sit for a bit and watch. If it starts to ferment within 24 hrs your yeast is fine. Personally I think it's fine and I'd be more concerned with off flavored.

No. The yeast won't die at 91 degrees.

If it tastes ok, bottle it as usual. If it tastes horrible, dump it.

Not a bad idea. This is my second attempt for this Row2 Hill 56. First brew went bad after it sucked a half gallon of star san mixture. I was unable to do anything with it for over 2 months and by the time I got to it, there was mold all over the place, of course I dumped it.

Back