APA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldogwinters

Reaction score
So I'm generally a brew it and make my own tweaks type of recipe designer, but I'm planning a brew for my sisters birthday party next month and would like a little input.

4 lb Maris otter
3 lb American 2-row (locally grown :))
2 lb Munich
8 oz c10
8 oz c20

.5 oz centennial @60
1 oz cascade @30
.5 oz centennial @ 15
1 oz cascade @flameout

Mash 152 and ferment with either Wyeast American ale or American ale II.

Haven't decided on a water profile, though I build mine with RO and adjust ph with aciduated malt

My thoughts behind some of this:
My sister likes an apa, but IPAs are too bitter for her. This should clock in around 30 IBU. I like a mix of Maris otter and 2row for a base, but I also like a little Munich too.. Is the mix of all three going to just be too much and get muddled together?

Input is greatly appreciated!

I like all of that.... maybe a pound of munich and an extra pound of 2 row to reduce "sweetness."

I have even played around with only having 30 minute additions - nothing at 60. That cuts down on the bitterness and leaves the hop flavor. That would be an option - throw that centenial in at the same time as the cascade 30 addition....

I make a similar "low hop" APA. looks nice.

Your mix of grains will be fine. MO is toasty and a bit nutty. Munich 10 has a breadiness that gets fruity with age. Between the two you should have a nice malty base. I'm not a fan of crystal malts in IPA's and pales with fruity hops. I love using fruity hops and try to allow the flavors from the hops stand without any caramel or additional sweetness. It's too easy to distract from your hop flavors with caramel.

If it were my recipe it would split the base 5# each two row and marris otter and then add 2# of munich. Scratch your 30 minute addition and do .5oz @ 5 and add the other half to flame out.

What do you think of a little amber malt instead of caramel? I have half a pound of Thomas fawcett from my 60 min ipa clone leftover

I think amber malt would work with your hops. Might be weird with your base grains. Reading other people's suggestions on here has caused me to experiment alot. What I've found is that: with hoppy beers it's, generally, best to keep your grain bill simple and straight forward. People try to do too much when the point of the beer is hops. If you want a successful pale ale then use just enough to benefit your hops. The point is to give texture and hints of flavor to your hops. At least this is the case with the modern (west coast) philosophy.

The other direction you could go with it is the traditional pale/IPA school. This method is, basically, a very bitter malt forward ale. Instead of lots of late hops you would do a moderate 60 minute addition and then something pretty stiff in the 20-15 range for a hint of hop flavor. Going this direction, marris otter and munich would work well. I would cross off light crystals in favor of a moderate (.5-.75#) C60 addition. Maybe add some Victory or Biscuit, possibley some Brown malt but that might go against your fruity hops. Consider a moderate bittering addition and copious amounts of hops at around 20 or 15 minutes. This will give you bitterness and flavor from hops without being in your face fruit and florals.

With the former you balace hop flavor and hop bitterness with grain as a supporting role. With the latter you balance your hop and grain flavors with bitterness to keep things in check.

Back