Anyone try the new DRY wlp066?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyrub42

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Just saw that WL came out with a friend version of London Fog (wlp066). Has anyone tried it? If so, how would you saw it compares to the liquid version? Also, if anyone has used it and also Verdant IPA yeast, how did they compare in terms of attenuation and flavor?

Thanks!
Tyler

Following. I would also like to see comparisons against Lallemand New England which is another similar one already in the manufacturer's portfolio.

@IslandLizard : reply 49 in WLP001 Dry mentions a newer dry strain from a different lab that's also in the $10 / sachet range.

Short term, I won't be brewing with WLP066 dry - as I already have (too many) other things I want to brew / explore over the next six months. WLP001 dry is one of those items, but given the current price sensitivity here at HomeBrewTalk, reporting on anecdotal results may not be high on my "to do" list.

@IslandLizard : reply 49 in WLP001 Dry mentions a newer dry strain from a different lab that's also in the $10 / sachet range.
Yeah, I saw that. Prices are quite staggering for what one gets, less than a tablespoon of granules.
There must be some fantastic markups along the way.

For comparison, one can buy 2 pounds of dry bakers yeast for under $10 (used to be $5) at Sam's or Costco's. But the supermarket always wanted $3.50 or so for an ounce, although I haven't checked lately (read: the past 15-some years).

Now pricing of wet (liquid) yeasts have gone up quite a bit too. So again, the incentive to make more (and bigger) starters, becomes even more paramount. The opposite of what the yeast makers and retailers want us to do (or believe).

Anecdote:
A few months ago I found 2 pouches of US-05 in my freezer. Best by dates 2010 and 2015. Probably got them with an equipment and sundries purchase back in the days. There are probably some other goodies in the bag too, I forgot about.

After carefully rehydrating, I made 3 rounds of starters of each. Surprisingly, the 2010 actually grew faster than the 2015 one under identical conditions. But I don't know of either's whereabouts before I got them.

They both fermented wonderfully, and the beer tasted accordingly!
I still have some (starter) slurries left of each.

On the liquid yeast side, I also had some left, purchased fresh in early 2015. Always kept in the 34°F kitchen fridge. They grew up wonderfully too, given enough time and 3 step ups.

Well danm, at those prices I guess this'll be a pass for now. Thanks everyone!

I would say that I am more interested in a $10 pack of dry yeast for making NEIPAs vs a dry Cali Ale strain. I feel like there are a bunch of proven options for making a Pale Ale or IPA. There are less proven options for making NEIPAs. I have been using Verdant mostly. While you can find Verdant cheaper online, my local shop sell it for around $7 per pack. A few extra dollars for a better yeast is not a big deal for a beer with $20+ of hops...assuming it is actually a better yeast.

On the other side of the price spectrum, there have been a bunch of cheap yeasts out under the Cellar Science label. I have only used them a little and I am not positive where the fit on the quality scale, but I know they have a Hazy strain.

For $12 or more, I would probably just pick up a pack of Imperial or Omega yeast from my local shop for about the same price.

I'm a white labs dealer and I won't carry any of their dry yeasts. There's no evidence so far that it's better than other dry yeasts by the tune of 225% price premium.
Seems like a sound business decision. Why stock something that nobody is going to buy?

Earlier today, I posted a similar "wet vs dry" for WLP001.

For those curious about WLP066 wet vs dry: here's a data point (link).

Direct links to the information may not be durable, so you will need to scan / scroll to find it.
1703519833856.png

eta: "Beer data explained" is an embedded PDF at the bottom of the page:
1703521018873.png

Last edited:
With Cellar Science at 2.50 USD/pack, I'm not trying anything as overpriced as White Labs is.

I'm having excellent results with Cellar Science. Even though yeast strain selection is extremely limited, I find that I can get the results I'm looking for.

The price difference is well known. Overpriced is an opinion. But I think we can agree on "it's more expensive" ;)

I'll probably report back when I brew with WLP066 (dry). Worst case, it may save me from having to do some price shopping on comparative strains. ;)

Back