Anyone have experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sww35

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience in retaining some beer from a previous brew and adding it to a boiling wort of a new brew process? If so, could you share some of the process, results and flavors?

What would be the advantage of doing this?

I'm no expert, but it seems if you added already finished beer to boiling wert, it would be downhill from there as the flavor of the added beer would be lost to the heat and boiling...In other words, waste of good beer.

It does nothing. The only way it will make a difference is if you use large amount, for example on one occasion someone made a beer and mashed with beer - they used hot beer for mash and sparge water. And if I remember correctly, it tasted like booty.

I am not sure of the advantage flavor wise. Just was a thought. However, perhaps a reduction of a dark malty beer as a syrup type addition could be a nice idea?

Dude do not boil your beer if you are not cooking with it

A reduction would bring the beer down to a higher concentration and make it thicker like a syrup. I think it would be a better idea then a boil off. Then add it to a boiling wort like an extract almost. A porter beer reduction extract.

Anyone have experience with this?

sww35 said:
A reduction would bring the beer down to a higher concentration and make it thicker like a syrup. I think it would be a better idea then a boil off. Then add it to a boiling wort like an extract almost. A porter beer reduction extract.

Anyone have experience with this?

I have experience with kettle caramelized wort before the main boil in all grain brewing. I'm not sure if this translates over to extract brewing if that is what you're thinking. With this, sugars are caramelized and become non-fermentable and more complex tasting. Sugars that would be gone if you have already fermented it.

Not a good idea IMO. I don't see any benefits here other than wasting the beer you've already worked hard making. Drink it! If its crummy, dump it or cook with it if its palatable.

Not a good idea IMO. I don't see any benefits here other than wasting the beer you've already worked hard making. Drink it! If its crummy, dump it or cook with it if its palatable.

I didn't say anything about it being a crummy beer. I restated I was interested in using a reduction. In my opinion, I would have to use a good beer that can caramelize easily with a low presence of hops. Take that caramelized reduction and apply it to a boiling wort as bottlebomber said, "A non-fermentable sugar addition."

bottlebomber, can you explain a little more what you approach was and the results again please?

first of all, any sugar in that beer is already nonfermentable since its a finished beer, second any alcohol will be boiled off. Third you will be just possibly adding a burnt taste to your new batch.
If you are just after some non fermentable sugars try Maltodextrine maybe.

Im just going from cooking knowledge. Am I correct?

What's the point here? Beer reductions? Huh? This makes no sense from a brewing perspective whatsoever. If you want to experiment & waste beer you've already made, that's fine. It just will lend no more character to the end beer than adding some caramel malt, etc.

I'm all for experimentation - just for a purpose. It sounds like what you are trying to achieve could be achieved through addition of the correct malts/extracts to your recipe.

sww35 said:
bottlebomber, can you explain a little more what you approach was and the results again please?

I've taken, for several beers now, the first two gallons of runnings and boiled them down to about 1/4 in my kettle. Then I proceed to sparge heavily enough to get my full preboil volume, and brew accordingly. This adds a nice mouthfeel and complexity without giving the impression of a sweet beer. I can highly recommend doing this.

Same thing a 90 min boil (or longer) would achieve. Why are we trying to introduce steps & procedures that really are unnecessary? I'm confused....

These are processes that have been in place for centuries. I can't imagine these things are all of a sudden more "creative". Just seems like a waste of time IMO.

jmd1971 said:
Same thing a 90 min boil (or longer) would achieve. Why are we trying to introduce steps & procedures that really are unnecessary? I'm confused....

These are processes that have been in place for centuries. I can't imagine these things are all of a sudden more "creative". Just seems like a waste of time IMO.

You're wrong, actually. Kettle caramelization produces unique flavors that a BJCP judge would look for in several beers, namely the Scottish ones. A long boil is not a substitute for this process, any more than boiling sugar in water for a long time is going to equivocate to making a caramel sauce. Since it's clearly not something you have experience with, it's probably better that you not comment on the process.

Are you trying to say that boiling post-fermented beer has any sort of value? That's what he was suggesting. That has no value whatsoever that crystal malts or others can't achieve. None.

You have no idea who I am, where I come from, my brewing experience, etc. Come on, clown. Or sorry -- Brew Hero. You, my friend, have no clue. God, these online forums are filled with chumps...

What about adding to the primary after fermentation has slowed? I have read about people adding hops and spices to get a specific flavor. I have not tried to do so yet.

What's the point here? Beer reductions? Huh? This makes no sense from a brewing perspective whatsoever. If you want to experiment & waste beer you've already made, that's fine. It just will lend no more character to the end beer than adding some caramel malt, etc.

I'm all for experimentation - just for a purpose. It sounds like what you are trying to achieve could be achieved through addition of the correct malts/extracts to your recipe.

Beer reductions are used as glazes and sauces in many different cooking dishes. That notion alone suggest to me that these reductions might be able to be used as possible additions to a wort while being boiled as an extract would.

To suggest that this idea makes no sense is fine, however, I like to know the logic you use when coming to this conclusion. How do you know without ever trying that adding a beer reduction to a boiled wort will lend no more character to the end beer than adding a caramel male?

Without experimentation, we do not advance and create new brew types. I have the kind of mind that is open to change and trying new things. Are you open to letting your beer ferment in the primary or do you insist to rack to a secondary?

What about adding to the primary after fermentation has slowed? I have read about people adding hops and spices to get a specific flavor. I have not tried to do so yet.

Nice idea. I am thinking maybe reducing a 6 pack, 3 bottles reduced and added to a boiled wort and 3 reduced and adding to the primary as you have mentioned. :mug:

sww35, I'd say if you want to experiment... Go for it! I would, though, recommend that you maybe do it on a smaller scale. Maybe do it on a one gallon batch instead of 5 gal. My only thoughts are that the hops in the fermented beer would taste funky after you reduce it down.

I've taken, for several beers now, the first two gallons of runnings and boiled them down to about 1/4 in my kettle. Then I proceed to sparge heavily enough to get my full preboil volume, and brew accordingly. This adds a nice mouthfeel and complexity without giving the impression of a sweet beer. I can highly recommend doing this.

This is an interesting idea! I like it. I'm going to have to try it. I would think it would work well on most dark beers.

sww35, I'd say if you want to experiment... Go for it! I would, though, recommend that you maybe do it on a smaller scale. Maybe do it on a one gallon batch instead of 5 gal. My only thoughts are that the hops in the fermented beer would taste funky after you reduce it down.

This is an interesting idea! I like it. I'm going to have to try it. I would think it would work well on most dark beers.

You are exactly right, when making a reduction, most water is evaporated and the remaining concentrate becomes more aggressive in flavor. In other words, an IPA would be a bad beer to try this with because the hops flavor would become even stronger in the reduction. It would be best in my opinion to use a beer with a nice sweet flavor and little to no hops presence.

Stauffbier said:

It works great. It is good on darker beers, but it also adds a ton of color to what should be lighter beers, so it's a process I've been playing with. For example, I made a 80/- that should have come in at around 15 SRM according to my software, and it ended up around 25 SRM, about like a brown porter. I want to try making a smash using this process, because it lends the beer all the complexity that you would get from crystal and then some. Adds an hour to the brew day but it's well worth it for the occasional brew.

sww35 said:
You are exactly right, when making a reduction, most water is evaporated and the remaining concentrate becomes more aggressive in flavor. In other words, an IPA would be a bad beer to try this with because the hops flavor would become even stronger in the reduction. It would be best in my opinion to use a beer with a nice sweet flavor and little to no hops presence.

Yes! I made the mistake one time of reducing an IIPA with some onions and simmering some sausages in the reduction. Good god. I can eat just about anything when it comes down to it, but I was gagging on the stuff. Don't reduce hoppy beer for the love of god lol

I totally agree - I would never suggest not to try, etc. my point was more what are you trying to add to the beer with the reduction? It sounded like just adding some caramel flavors. That's why I was suggesting just an additional caramel malt addition rather than going the extra mile to boil down an existing beer.

Would it work? Sure - it would add some color/ flavor. Most of the fermentables should be gone by then but could get a flavor/color impact.

Go for it! I'm interested in the results so please post if you end up going for it....

Yes! I made the mistake one time of reducing an IIPA with some onions and simmering some sausages in the reduction. Good god. I can eat just about anything when it comes down to it, but I was gagging on the stuff. Don't reduce hoppy beer for the love of god lol

I hear you once I try to make my mussels in beer and I used an IPA that was the worst idea that I had in a long time.

Back