anyone got a recipe for a real working man's beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thank you
this is what i wanted. my thread got hijacked by trolls and it gets moved to a punishment subforum.

wow, good job. just wanted to ask about a recipe. don't punish the trolls who are hounding me though.
Dude, your thread got awesomed! Everyone thought you split. And, besides having a little fun, everyone here will give you honest feedback. So again, back to recipes...what are you looking for?

Here’s a real working man’s beer, it is an American Amber Ale. Be sure to use all ‘Murken grains and hops.

Two Hooters American Amber Ale

IBU:37 SRM:17.25 ABV:7%(stronger than usual)

8.7 lbs. American Pale Ale

3 lbs. American Munich 20L

.6 lbs. American Crystal 60L

.6 lbs. American Carapils

2.5 oz. American Black Malt

3/4 oz. Centennial 60m

1/2 oz. Centennial 10m

3/4 oz. Centennial 2m

2.5 oz. Chinook Dry Hop

Irish Moss 15m

US-05

Toss a few nails into that and it'd be perfect.... :D

thank you
this is what i wanted. my thread got hijacked by trolls and it gets moved to a punishment subforum.

wow, good job. just wanted to ask about a recipe. don't punish the trolls who are hounding me though.

I have tons of recipes since I've been brewing for a long time. Everything from a dopplebock to an American light lager is in my repetoire. But I have no idea how to make a manly beer for a working man, because I'm neither manly nor working. I bet if you were specific at what you were looking for, and not denigrating female brewers and beer lovers that we'd be able to come up with something that you'd like.

I have tons of recipes since I've been brewing for a long time. Everything from a dopplebock to an American light lager is in my repetoire. But I have no idea how to make a manly beer for a working man, because I'm neither manly nor working. I bet if you were specific at what you were looking for, and not denigrating female brewers and beer lovers that we'd be able to come up with something that you'd like.

Could use a good dopplebock. It would be great to have one ready by October and my ambient basement temperatures will be out of range after March for most lager-type fermentation (so starting soon would be good). I know a lot of guys that think of themselves as manly-men that would love this style at our Oktoberfest event

Hip hip...

This

thank you

Awwwww, nobody's hounding you. It's OK. You'll be fine. We're just having some fun. Lighten up a bit. :D

And look on the bright side. We just set you up with an awesome "working stiff" playlist for your enjoyment while you brew. It's all good.

180 to 300 lbs real working man “preferably deboned and de haired”
10 lbs 2 row
2 lbs flaked corn
1 oz centennial @ 60 min
1oz centennial @30 min
1 oz centennial and 1 oz cascade at flameout whirlpool 30 min.
(Optional fill fermentation vessel with cigar smoke and motor oil)

Only one manly beer and that's the one Patrick Swayze drank.

upload_2017-12-29_9-37-19.jpeg

thank you

Maybe take some advice from Keith and Mick

replace smoke with drink and beer for cigarettes there is a verse in this one too

Sorry I cant help you with a working man's beer recipe as I was told once I did not really work because I got paid to sit on my azz and think. As a youth though I did get paid to shovel horse crap, dig a tunnel under a steam concentrator, pump gas, pick raspberries strawberries and rocks.

I work. Does that mean the beer I drink is working man beer? Or do I have to be drinking it while I work to qualify? Just trying to straighten out the rules.

BTW, nice day for a troll in the park.

The term "a working man's beer" has generally been interpreted here as a beer for a man who works. The presumption is that for anyone who earns a living, there is a special beer that honors their particular level of commitment. Ergo, a high-rise steel worker and a flower arranger each have their own "working man's beer" waiting out there for them. And it's not fair for us to speculate [or suggest] who should get what. For example, it's not fair to presume that one should get a 680-Minute DFH 8XIPA and the other a Michelob Ultra. It's obvious, but not fair.

I am impressed at the tolerance for diversity and decorum of the respones, however, at the risk of being crass, there are men who do real physically demanding work. Men who are on their feet all day and may break a sweat while working long hours and long weeks. By addressing this community we do not take away from other communities that may include office workers who also do real work, but do not necessarily physically labor, which is implied in the context of the original post. Also, the original post suggests a patriotism for America which by and large is an internationally accepted bias, that is loving ones country. And specifically when addressing men, in most cases woman are not included. This however does not define the beer in question as exclusionary as it is entirely acceptable for women (or anyone of age for that matter) to also enjoy a real working man’s beer. In fact in my house this is a ubiquitous conclusion.

So now that the fine print has been laid out and I have made some suggestions as to the innocence of sharing a recipe or two that might have a slightly ambiguous definition, maybe we could see some real working man’s beer recipes having been created by real working men.

light saison
smooth and light body but not watery not funky

75% BHE
1046 SG
1004 FG
5.5%ABV

7lb gw 2row
1lb white wheat
8oz caramunich
07gm equinox 60min 13.2AA 12.3IBU
07gm equinox 20min 13.2AA 7.5IBU
14gm equinox 5min 13.2AA 4.9IBU
WY3711 French saison yeast

mash 156 until conversion complete
ferment at 68F for 4day, bump to 72F until finished

I work. Does that mean the beer I drink is working man beer?

Is it real work though? Or is it just pretend work (you know, like an uber driver or an accountant or a coors brewmaster).

Heres some real jobs:
Blacksmith
Rocket surgeon
Hay baler
Shoe salesman (you know who I'm talking about)
Telemarketer
Parking warden
etc

Those guys work hard. Girls that do those jobs probably work hard too, but we aren't allowed to talk about them in this thread.

And:

Last edited:
I am impressed at the tolerance for diversity and decorum of the respones, however, at the risk of being crass, there are men who do real physically demanding work. Men who are on their feet all day and may break a sweat while working long hours and long weeks. By addressing this community we do not take away from other communities that may include office workers who also do real work, but do not necessarily physically labor, which is implied in the context of the original post.

If you are to take FTC's question at face value (and with FTC's history that is a big IF), why would you assume that all working men like the same beer? Most of the men I have worked with seem pretty loyal to one of the American macro-adjuct-lagers. That doesn't mean I have to prefer that also, or that I am stuck preferring one boring beer. That the OP chose to post here rather than browse the recipe forum for something that sounded good to HIM makes people think that he is probably trolling again.

I also find the sexist tone pretty offensive. I worked at a salmon processing plant for 3 summers, 112 hours a week, chopping the heads off 52 salmon per minute, and the women on the line didn't have any trouble keeping up with me. My wife has worked for a major retailer 18 years and has been unloading trucks for the last 12. She can move twice as much product as any of the men on the crew, while her male boss rarely leaves his office. Implying that all men work harder than all women is ridiculous.

Sounds like we need to come to terms with the fact that each kind of working man has his beer style. Maybe start with this:

Stevedore: porter
Brick Mason: MGD
White Collar worker: Stella
Interior Decorator: framboise

and so on...

Who ever said that men work harder then women? I’m a feminist. To me equality is as much about men’s rights as it is about women’s rights. Some issues show a bias towards men and some show bias towards women. In many parts of the world the women’s movement has not even started. In America there have been many successes in equality. Women in America do not need you to defend them. They are perfectly capable of demonstrating their competence in the work place. Sure there is still work to be done to acheive equality in the work place, but it should not be at the expense of those men who meritoriously compete at a higher level, all things considered.

Aside from that if my beer can be labeled a hard working man’s beer because I, a hard working man made it, then perhaps we can put down our pitch forks and relax don’t worry and have a homebrew.

I am impressed at the tolerance for diversity and decorum of the respones, however, at the risk of being crass, there are men who do real physically demanding work. Men who are on their feet all day and may break a sweat while working long hours and long weeks. By addressing this community we do not take away from other communities that may include office workers who also do real work, but do not necessarily physically labor, which is implied in the context of the original post. Also, the original post suggests a patriotism for America which by and large is an internationally accepted bias, that is loving ones country. And specifically when addressing men, in most cases woman are not included. This however does not define the beer in question as exclusionary as it is entirely acceptable for women (or anyone of age for that matter) to also enjoy a real working man’s beer. In fact in my house this is a ubiquitous conclusion.

So now that the fine print has been laid out and I have made some suggestions as to the innocence of sharing a recipe or two that might have a slightly ambiguous definition, maybe we could see some real working man’s beer recipes having been created by real working men.

Real working men don’t make sense or use fancy words

View attachment 551692

Back