anyone got a recipe for a real working man's beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone knows how hard Barrack Hussein Obama worked in the private sector before getting into politics, working hard in the US Senate for years and eventually being elected President of the US.
So he qualifies as a real working man, here's his beer recipe:
(note it uses Goldings and Fuggles Hops, but you can substitute American hops)

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2012/09/01/ale-chief-white-house-beer-recipe

17u2.gif

@madscientist451 I made that beer though I tweaked the recipe for all grain. Another difference in my beer was that the honey I used was concentrated. It turned out very nice. For those two changes, the beer was I think a lot better off. Ended at 8%. FG was 1.017, which I don’t think is too high for Windsor. It reminded me of a Belgian dubbel. Dangerously drinkable

I am impressed at the tolerance for diversity and decorum of the respones, however, at the risk of being crass, there are men who do real physically demanding work. Men who are on their feet all day and may break a sweat while working long hours and long weeks. By addressing this community we do not take away from other communities that may include office workers who also do real work, but do not necessarily physically labor, which is implied in the context of the original post. Also, the original post suggests a patriotism for America which by and large is an internationally accepted bias, that is loving ones country. And specifically when addressing men, in most cases woman are not included. This however does not define the beer in question as exclusionary as it is entirely acceptable for women (or anyone of age for that matter) to also enjoy a real working man’s beer. In fact in my house this is a ubiquitous conclusion.

So now that the fine print has been laid out and I have made some suggestions as to the innocence of sharing a recipe or two that might have a slightly ambiguous definition, maybe we could see some real working man’s beer recipes having been created by real working men.

Right, I agree with you. There's nothing wrong with making something for a specific demographic. The issue is actually defining the demographic. What's a "real working man"? And if you can define it, can you really say what he would drink?

It's a non-starter. It can't be done. The guy is a troll, and the point of this thread is for us to make fools of ourselves.

RDWAHA :goat:

I wasn’t paying attention when Slyfox apparently became known as a troll. You are right of course, but as a middle of the road everyday kind of guy, I am tired of the fringes trying to push me into a corner, whether it be right or left. I see these obviously provocative questions as an opportunity to push my middle of the road agenda. The edges of our country have scared the majority of us into silence. I am a patriot who loves women for their strength and competence. I believe that America stands for freedom, especially in those things we say. If that makes me a fool, then I’m a fool.

I didn’t concentrate the honey. I bought it from a farmers market here in cave creek and when I put it in my wort the OG was at 1.080 rather than what I had expected for normal store bought honey. I’m sure the honey from this guy packed more of a punch, but if his process was different than usual to collect it then he would be the one to say why his honey was stronger than usual. I surely cannot and I apologize for calling you Shirley.

• When a real working man chills his wort, he runs it through the radiator of that same 1990 Chevy Cavalier

Yes sir fer sure. BTW this same radiator can be used for a condenser when runnin' likker from his working man's still. You git 2 fer 1 this way.

The Killer Bees. From Saturday Night Live. Back when it was funny. And that was a l-o-o-o-n-g time ago.
You mean, from back when it made no sense and wasn't funny at all? And the cast were a bunch of people nobody knows? I think the show has never been as good and funny as it has been over the last 8 or so years, but then again at my age I'm still part of the target demographic the show is tailored to.

For what it's worth, I'm certain that once I too become old and irrelevant, I will go around blabbering the same sentiment about the show that you do today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's see, there's John Belushi, Garret Morris, Chevy Chase, Gilda Radnor, maybe guest host Frank Zappa. Nope, never heard of them. Not shown are Dan Ackroyd, Jane Curtin, Lorraine Newman.

Last edited by a moderator:
looking at using 100% barley malt and all american hops with a dry yeast. should mash it in the high 140s. looking at an OG of 1.035 and FG 1.005, ibu 10.

this will be one helluva a beer.

want to say thanks to the true brewing affishionadows and ill politely dakline to thank the haters. :) RDWHAMB

Everyone knows how hard Barrack Hussein Obama worked in the private sector before getting into politics, working hard in the US Senate for years and eventually being elected President of the US.
So he qualifies as a real working man, here's his beer recipe:
(note it uses Goldings and Fuggles Hops, but you can substitute American hops)

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2012/09/01/ale-chief-white-house-beer-recipe
They should call it Abomination....A dumper that you drink anyway and pretend to like

The slaves who built the pyramids were given beer for sustenance. They were real men. They worked pretty hard.

Probably wasn’t brewed with American hops.

i want a real working man's beer made for and by a working man.

looking at using traditional american hops.

Jumped ahead on this thread after reading the first fire pages of... a good word? Assyness

Hope you are able to mash

5 gallons beer start wth 6 gallons water
8lb pale malt
2 lb breiss malt
Crush
Mash 60 minutes at 150 so mash in around 162
After votlauf
Bring to boil
Toss in 1. ounce northern brewer hop for 60 minute
Cool to 65
Pitch a pack of Nottingham
Ferment till gravity drop stops. Probably arounthe d .011
Chill brew bucket

If you normally bottle do as you would,
If you keg. 12 psi for two weeks,at least

Make sure cold
Drink up

Last edited:
30 pounds LME ( Liquid Man Extract)
No hops..they're for p*ssies
Stick finger in mash to test for 150
Boil hot as f*uck
Any Mangrove Jack yeast
Drink at any temp at any carb level...the flatter the better
Tasting notes: Burb smells spicy

thank you
this is what i wanted. my thread got hijacked by trolls and it gets moved to a punishment subforum.

wow, good job. just wanted to ask about a recipe. don't punish the trolls who are hounding me though.

Ha, I see what you did there. 'Hounding' a cat would be offended by a decent hounding.

looking at using 100% barley malt and all american hops with a dry yeast. should mash it in the high 140s. looking at an OG of 1.035 and FG 1.005, ibu 10.

this will be one helluva a beer.

want to say thanks to the true brewing affishionadows and ill politely dakline to thank the haters. :) RDWHAMB

This may make a helluva beer but it won't be a true beer with all those hops. Substitute it for a cat a flameout instead.

P.S. I'm fairly confident that these are not even words -> 'affishionadows' & 'dakline' There aren't even entries in urban dictionary.

I have been a long time reader of this fine forum - And i first wish to thank you all for years of wonderful information and help (Even if you did not know you were providing it!) I have not been moved to post before now, but i feel that this thread really missed the mark! Since it is clear there are only FOUR actual manly man, he man, working man brews known to existence; the real solution would be to develop a clone for one of the following famed working man beers:

Duff
Pawtucket Ale
Best Quality Beer
And of course-
Girlie Girl

I bow to those far more skilled than myself at the development of clones, to perfect a recipe to salve to idiosyncrasies of FTC

I have been a long time reader of this fine forum - And i first wish to thank you all for years of wonderful information and help (Even if you did not know you were providing it!) I have not been moved to post before now, but i feel that this thread really missed the mark! Since it is clear there are only FOUR actual manly man, he man, working man brews known to existence; the real solution would be to develop a clone for one of the following famed working man beers:

Duff
Pawtucket Ale
Best Quality Beer
And of course-
Girlie Girl

I bow to those far more skilled than myself at the development of clones, to perfect a recipe to salve to idiosyncrasies of FTC
Awesome!

Back