Anyone ever tasted trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboBrew

Reaction score
After a succesful bew day, several beers and a drunken dare, I decided to sample some trub. I use muslin bags for hop additions and my irish moss so there wasn't any hops in it. Lo and behold, it actually tasted pretty good. It looks disgusting, but it tastes like really sweet cereal. Now I want to start tasting the trub from all my batches to see if I can pick out flavor differences and relationships between batches. Just curious if any of you have tried it.

I'm going to assume you're joking. I can't imagine those two flavors melding well.

Have any of you ever heard of Marmite? It's an extremely popular product in the UK. It was discovered in the early 1900's and was basically the trub from the brewing process at the Bass Brewery. They spread it on toast like we would jam or apple butter. It's pretty disgusting if you ask me, lol. It's one of those things where either you love it or you hate it (which was the basis of their advertising campaign at one point).

Yes. However, it's a looong process between 'trub' and 'Vegemite/Promite/Marmite'.

On a side note, Kraft is approaching seeling it's billionth jar of Vegemite- the person who buys it will win a car or something.

In case any of you are wondering how it's made...

>Spent brewer's yeast is sieved to get rid of hop resins, and washed to remove bitter tastes. Then it is suspended in water at a temperature greater than 37 C with no nutrients: the yeast cells die, and vitamins and minerals leach out. Then the proteolytic (protein-splitting) enzymes take over, breaking the yeast proteins down into smaller water-soluble fragments, which also leach out. The yeast cell membrane is unruptured during this time, and can be removed by centrifuging. The clear light brown liquid is then concentrated under a vacuum to a thick paste (the vacuum helps preserve flavours and vitamin B1, thiamine). It is seasoned with salt, and a small proportion of celery and onion extracts to increase the palatability.

How To Make Vegemite - AussieHomeBrewer.com

A few month's ago I asked if anyone knew how to make vegimite, and didn't get an answer, now here we go. I'll haveto give this a try.

Hmm. I've tasted all of the other ingredients and byproducts of brewing. Grain, crushed grain, spent grain, hops, first runnings, boiled wort, yeast (in hefes). I've never tasted the trub though.

Sorry to anyone who likes it, but vegemite kinda makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit. SWMBO's cousin swears by the stuff - spreads it on his morning toast any everything...yuck!

i tasted trub once. then he told me us idiot humans were saying it backwards. he's really called burt and would be a lot less bitter if us ******** would quit calling him backwards!

alright so i saw burt again today. said he wanted to tell me a secret and when i leaned close damned if he didn't lick my ear! wtf? i mean what kind of demented sicko licks someone's ear? i straight up told him that i was this close to walking away from this friendship. he just laughed and sauntered off wearing those pink furry boots he so enjoys.

Perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology...

I thought trub was the junk at the bottom of the pot after the boil. I'm not talking about the stuff at the bottom of the fermenter. I imagine that stuff tastes like doodoo.

Perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology...

I thought trub was the junk at the bottom of the pot after the boil. I'm not talking about the stuff at the bottom of the fermenter. I imagine that stuff tastes like doodoo.

maybe this explains things, i thought everyone was crazy for liking the trub. I hate the taste of trub, its just gross, and i hate the taste of yeast by themselves, gross. I do love the spend grains after the mash though.

FYI, i do like Vegemite. nothing like a piece of toast with butter, vegemite, and a lot of cheese melted on top. had this for breakfast in Australia all the time, yummy :)

Latest posts

Back