Anybody harvesting hops yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovine_OB

Reaction score
Northern Neb has seen an unusually high amount of precipitation this year, and has been moderately warm (80s-90s) but nothing extreme. This past week I have been noticing quite a few Cascade cones starting to brown, the lupulin is darkening, and the leafy portion of the cone is darkening/firming up compared to the younger flowers. I went ahead and picked a 3 gallon bucket full of just the mature cones, with probably 2 weeks or better left on the less mature cones. Just wondering if anybody has started harvesting yet.

Cheers!

Not quite yet here in MA, lots of cones on the Cascade but they are not ready to pick. But probably in another week or two I'll start checking more closely for those tell tale signs. And I'm looking forward to finally having some to pick from my Goldings which after 3 or 4 years has finally produced a small amount. Those are still at the burr stage.

Do you typically pick two or more different times as they ripen or do you pick them all at once when the majority are in their prime?

I have just had two harvests so far and both times I picked all at once. But with just the one plant I didn't have a lot to pick and they all seemed to be ready about the same time so it worked out. If I had a lot more though I could definitely see picking more than once. And since my goldings are not as far along as the cascade, they will be picked at a later time I imagine.

I harvested 6.75lbs (wet) of Chinook today. And will have 30-50 lb of cascade ready soon.

Hallertau is getting close and they have unusually large cones this year.
IMG_3103.JPG

Also in MA, getting close but not quite dry enough to harvest. But harvest has become more of a "when it's convenient" timing than when they're ready. Also when I can talk my sons into helping.

Ma. here as well. Fuggles were harvested 2 weeks ago. They set very early in the season. Half of the Crystal got wiped out by the dreaded wilt. Cascade are getting heavy. All the first years, I'll get a handful each. Willamette, Goldings, Nugget.
IMG_20180816_073807-01.jpeg
IMG_20180816_074002-01.jpeg
IMG_20180816_073933-01.jpeg

Southern WI - Harvested my Saaz this week.

They seemed ready earlier than usual, but other things influence when I can pick. I cut down one 15 ft vine each evening. Pluck as many cones as possible, run them in the dehydrator overnight, then get up at 4:30am to vacuum package them in one ounce increments. It's a lot of work and the wife asked, "Isn't there an easier way to get hops?" I just had to sheepishly look at the floor and say, "Yes...yes there is".

been harvesting as much as fits in my dehydrator each evening (about 4 oz dried). Going to harvest a bunch tomorrow, about 4 oz every 2 hours. I like to pick them fresh then dehydrate immediately. Package in 1 and 2 oz increments in vacuum sealed bags then into the freezer.

I'm in Canada... Just dry hopped an IPA with homegrown 2018 Neo 1 and some old Simcoe pellets... It smells amazing

I'll probably harvest some serebrianka in the next day or two. It doesn't look like much. The magnum is loaded though.

Harvested 4 lbs dry Cashmere last week in western Arkansas. Centennial came off late July - 2 lbs dry. Harvesting Cascade this week.. Looking for canadian red vine rhizomes/mother plants etc for fall planting. Anybody???

My mom in RI is going to harvest sometime in the next few days. She says her Comet hops are getting papery.

Attachments

• IMG_4026 (600x800).jpg
    IMG_4026 (600x800).jpg
    289 KB · Views: 117
Hallertau is getting close and they have unusually large cones this year.View attachment 583576
I have tried Hallertau now for 3 years , every year it doesnt start to grow until after the summer equinox, here it is mid august and the bines are 16 inches long and I am harvesting cascade, nugget , golding now. What the heck, I'm jelly!

We harvested yesterday. First year for me and some of our plants had the bines broken off mid season. The columbus did really well. Dried some on a screen, most in a dehydrator, but no time to vacuum seal this am. I put them in ziplocks and I'll seal 'em up when I get home from work.

It's really hard to work the timing on these when you have a full time job and other activities.

Nashville, TN checking in. Just pulled off the first cones from a Northern Brewer bine. Looks like I'll have enough to pick a second time.

yAPQTLP.jpg

So far i harvested 15 lb cascade, 2 lb chinook, around 7lb of nugget and a few ounces of northern brewer as well as comet

Lessee....I've harvested a .5 oz of Northern Brewer and 1 oz of Spalt Select dry. Not sure I'll get much of anything from my Glacier or Bramlin. Seems the cones stopped growing at about the size of a small grape for some reason and are turning brown prematurely. All first year. Pretty sad, lol.

Question for you all, its snowing where i live and been as low as -4 for extended periods. Hops not harvested yet as been a long growing season with little sunlight due to the smoke. I know hop plants are super frost resistant but what about the cones? Just before the snow the daytime temps were not very high, say 15 Celsius (59 farenheit) so little maturity happening; the Williamette were closest to maturity, lightened up a lot but still would not spring back fully when squeezed, the Cascade, Centennial and Galena were further away and the cones would stay compressed when squeezed.

Any thoughts or experiences you can share on snow, extended cold temperatures/frost?

Thanks in advance.

Lost most of my cascades due to a solid week of rain just as they were ready. Only harvested a few ounces as most were brown beyond usefulness. Will have to make a hop tea to test what I did get.

Did a wet hop NEAPA-ish beer today with a grab bag of Nugget, Columbus, Cascade, and Chinook. Leg is busted, so anything I can’t easily reach is going to shrivel on the bines.

Lots. Have way too much growing but 25 gallons of cascade got picked. Split with a buddy. Made fresh this weekend. aviary-image-1536885852997.jpeg

Lessee....I've harvested a .5 oz of Northern Brewer and 1 oz of Spalt Select dry. Not sure I'll get much of anything from my Glacier or Bramlin. Seems the cones stopped growing at about the size of a small grape for some reason and are turning brown prematurely. All first year. Pretty sad, lol.

Be assured you are way ahead of me. It's my first year with Nugget and Centennial and there is not a single flower/cone to be seen anywhere.

Be assured you are way ahead of me. It's my first year with Nugget and Centennial and there is not a single flower/cone to be seen anywhere.
Year 2 will make all the difference. I have 6 new hops strains, of which combined maybe a dozen cones were harvested

I am in western Massachusetts. Last week I harvested Mt. Hood (50 g dry) and Cascades (1 kg dry). My Columbus was amazing last year and this year had no cones at all.

Back