anybody else annoyed with the whole IPA craze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2/3 of the beers I brew are IPAs. Ian clearly part of the problem. I will start growing my mustache and wearing my daughters pants.

I wonder when hipsters are gonna bring back the monocle

Def not old my friend- they just seem to keep multiplying

2/3 of the beers I brew are IPAs. Ian clearly part of the problem. I will start growing my mustache and wearing my daughters pants.

I'm in the same boat. At least every other batch has a # or 2 of hops. Sometimes that is every batch...

But I have some other first world problems... Applying for the fire department so I can't grow a beard/mustache/other random facial hair and I don't have a daughter so I can't wear her pants.

Oh well. Guess I will just have to keep brewing IPA. Not enough choices at the store here.

First things first, I enjoy an IPA from time to time but the industry is being overly consumed by it...

It's a hipster thing, you wouldn't understand it.

Seriously, I buy a 100 IBU hoppy beer *now and then* but my staple is Munich Lager.

I'm in the same boat. At least every other batch has a # or 2 of hops. Sometimes that is every batch...

But I have some other first world problems... Applying for the fire department so I can't grow a beard/mustache/other random facial hair and I don't have a daughter so I can't wear her pants.

Oh well. Guess I will just have to keep brewing IPA. Not enough choices at the store here.

Beard. check.

I look good in slim pants, so I have a few pairs. Check.

Still listen to The Postal Service. check.

Drives a hatchback. Check.

Awww dang I'm a hipster.

For it tis the IPA "lovers" that are the hipsters!

In any case I think this thread has run it's course. Who's going to start the "I hate barrel aged xxxx beer" thread? Do breweries really think they can take their mediocre beer, put in a barrel, then magically several month later it's any better! And then charge us 3x the price to boot!

Yeah, you're a little behind on that one. Also hating hipsters is pretty dated as well. Might as well slam emo kids or *gasp* punk rockers. Makes you look old.

I get around that by slamming everyone. hipsters, emos, punks, skins, urban cowboys, country cowboys, Sturgis bankers... errr bikers, gangstas...

I like my beer to taste like beer not covered up with hops just like I like my coffee black to taste like coffee and a bunch of cream and sugar to hide the flavor.....

I like my beer to taste like beer not covered up with hops just like I like my coffee black to taste like coffee and a bunch of cream and sugar to hide the flavor.....

This makes no sense. You can switch it out with any ingredient. I like my beer to taste like beer and not be covered up by malts. I like my beer to taste like beer and not be covered up by Belgian yeast esters, etc

Been on a lower hop kick lately. Drinking more beers with less hops.

Had a sample of two different IIPAs while visiting some breweries. MAN were those hops tasty! Taking a break can recharge your taste buds!

Been on a lower hop kick lately. Drinking more beers with less hops.

Had a sample of two different IIPAs while visiting some breweries. MAN were those hops tasty! Taking a break can recharge your taste buds!

I can second that. Last year, I focused more on malt-forward beers, German beers, etc. As of late, I have brewed a few Pales/IPAs and man oh man, I love having that potential on tap!

No. Love IPAs... I'd try them all if I could. Also like lots of other beer.

Anyone else sick of the beer trend around here? So hipster.

They have moved to the sour section of your local bottle shop. It will be getting out of hand shortly.

Yeah, you're a little behind on that one. Also hating hipsters is pretty dated as well. Might as well slam emo kids or *gasp* punk rockers. Makes you look old.

Hipsters are meant for mockery. They will be the blight of craft.

This makes no sense. You can switch it out with any ingredient. I like my beer to taste like beer and not be covered up by malts. I like my beer to taste like beer and not be covered up by Belgian yeast esters, etc

Define what beer should taste like please.... U don't like belgian yeast esters?? So ur not into anything with Brett or any of the dark fruit/peppery/ yeast characters?

I suggest re-reading Calichusetts post - and this time consider the context.
I don't think that was supposed to be taken literally as a particular criticism, but just to demonstrate the brewer has options and can avoid the characters he/she does not enjoy...

Cheers! (or I could be wrong ;))

Define what beer should taste like please.... U don't like belgian yeast esters?? So ur not into anything with Brett or any of the dark fruit/peppery/ yeast characters?

I suggest re-reading Calichusetts post - and this time consider the context.
I don't think that was supposed to be taken literally as a particular criticism, but just to demonstrate the brewer has options and can avoid the characters he/she does not enjoy...

Cheers! (or I could be wrong ;))

Thanks Day Tripper.

What I was saying Clint is that the "I like my beer to taste like beer and not hops" argument makes no sense. You can swap out hops for any other ingredient (yeast/esters, malts) and it doesn't actual make any valid argument other than the person saying they seem to know "what real beer tastes like."

Thanks Day Tripper.

What I was saying Clint is that the "I like my beer to taste like beer and not hops" argument makes no sense. You can swap out hops for any other ingredient (yeast/esters, malts) and it doesn't actual make any valid argument other than the person saying it seems to know "what real beer tastes like."

I like my beverage of choice to taste like my personal taste profiles.:rockin: Eepahs, Stouts, Wee Heavy, Barley Wine, Gose, Stouts, ESB, Porters, Bock, Stouts, Eepahs, Vienna Lager, Dubbel, Trippel, Wit, Stouts, Saison, and Stouts seem to fit those profiles. oh! and Eepahs!

Back