Any way to clear without IM?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaFours

Reaction score
I brewed an APA this weekend and forgot to add the Irish Moss. It's sitting in primary right now. Is there anyway to clear up the beer in secondary? I don't have the means to cold condition, so any other alternatives?

i've never used irish moss before. stuff coagulates and settles during the cold break as your wort cools from the boil.

just let it be in the primary for a week or so. then rack it to the secondary being very careful not to stirr up what has settled. leave all that trub/yeast/hop sediment behind.

same goes for the secondary. once you've transfered it, just let it be for a spell, 3-4 weeks in the secondary will let alot of particles settle. be careful not to stir it up when you rack to the bottling bucket or keg.

Yea, I'm racking to secondary and was gonna let it sit for at least 2 weeks before I bottled.

some guys/gals here use pollycar and other tings to clear their beer afterwards, sorta like you are inquiring about. i am content to just let it sit, and if it's hazy it's hazy, long as the hops and barley are right i don't much care. ;) but careful racking process, one that doesn't stir up any sedement will do alot.

Back