Any tips for a creamier head?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IDoBleedBrew

Reaction score
So this is the first batch I did at home by myself (done a few batches at a brew on premise place nearby). It is an Irish Stout. I did three weeks in primary and then straight to bottling. This is 7 days after bottling. Color is a little light (I know how to fix that for next time). Taste seems to be almost right what I was expecting/hoping for. I know I won't be able to get that tight, foamy, creamy head through bottle conditioning, but I was curious if there is anything I can do to get closer to that style of head while bottle conditioning? I've read somewhere that using DME instead of corn sugar can create smaller, tighter bubbles. Can anyone with experience attest to that? Any other tips?

2i110g9.jpg

Conditioning and chilling your bottles for the right amount plays a role in head retention. Beers that condition for 3+ weeks and spend 1+ week in the fridge seem to have the best head retention in my experience.

:mug:

Flaked barley! It's my "secret ingredient" that really isn't a secret but quite a few brewers skip it in order to simplify. It adds so much to the beer that it's a necessity in a stout for me. It can create a haze, so it's not usually used in lighter colored beers, but it brings an amazing body and head to the beer that just can't be beat.

Corn sugar vs DME in priming doesn't seem to make a bit of difference.

Nah... this was an extract kit, but it did include 4 oz of flaked barley along with 4 oz. Chocolate Malt, 4 oz. Caramel 10L, 4 oz. Roasted Barley.

Nah... this was an extract kit, but it did include 4 oz of flaked barley along with 4 oz. Chocolate Malt, 4 oz. Caramel 10L, 4 oz. Roasted Barley.

That's a good base. I use 8 oz in a 5 gallon batch of flaked barley, but 4 oz is a decent start. It may come with a bit more time of bottle conditioning, and more body should come too.

About how much flaked barley do you tend to use in your stouts?

I use 1/2 pound in a 5 gallon batch usually, but I'll use a bit more if I think the recipe may need it.

I'm going through almost the same issues. I just haven't been able to get good foam retention. If that picture was from 7 days post bottling, I'd actually say it looks nice, I always wait at least 14 days and often I don't get anything that nice. I also plan to start adding some flaked adjuncts to help as well.

I'll share a couple links I've found, for what they're worth, but with my limited sample size I'd say the best thing for it is time and refrigeration. I think my new carbonating and conditioning procedure will be to try and give ales about 16-17 days to carbonate and then refrigerate as soon as is reasonable after that. I'm not particularly sure, but it seems that keeping beer at low temps encourages more CO2 to dissolve. Just can't get to anxious to refrigerate them before they're properly carbed.

BYO article from '05.
Beersmith article from '08
A link to a beersmith prodcast (#23) should be easy to find from the above article.

Flaked barley needs to be mashed to convert the starch. Equal masses of flaked barley and pale malt should convert on the stovetop in 20 min or less at any temp near 155 F. It will add a lot of body and head to your beer.

The other thing that helps is lower fermentation temps. Your foam looks like coarse, fizzy bubbles rather than the kind of foam you can eat with a fork. Lower ferm temps can help with that.

Other stuff includes clean glassware and perfect sanitation - these are not optional.

I used to get the "soda pop" heads on beer until I discovered flaked barley. It really makes a difference. You know you did it right when you have those big rings of foam lacing on the insides of your beer glass when finished.

Making sure there is no detergent film on glassware is key. All the body-creating adjuncts are for naught if you have soap film that breaks down the head as soon as it's poured.

At. pnly 7 days the head looks good..Give it a couple more weeks and then. afew days in the dridge and the head will be much better.

Yeah... I know it is early on in the process... I just wanted to pop one open each week to see how it changes over time. Just a little experimentation. =)

Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated!

I have a lady friend who's nickname is bubbles.......... I suspect she would take offense if I mentioned that I was looking for smaller tighter bubbles ;-) She isn't stout though.

H.W.

Back