Poor Head but Beer is Fizzy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Architect-Dave

Architect & Fledgling Home Brewer (5-Mana Brewing)
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made the all-grain Irish Red from Northern Brewer. Today was 2 weeks from bottling day. The beer has fizz in the glass (you can see them forming and rising in the beer) but absolutely no head whatsoever. The little bubbles die off quickly and the beer is very flat.

I know two weeks is the minimum, but all. My beers conditioned in two weeks. I used gelatin as a fining agent and chilled the carboy to just above freezing for two days. Did I get rid of all the yeast? I fermented with Nottingham dry.

While 3 weeks will give your beer better heading, it should be decent at 2 weeks too. The usual cause of the head disappearing quickly is detergent residue. If you washed your glass in the dishwasher with anti-spotting agent, blame that. Try rinsing the glass well, perhaps after hand washing it. I've even seen a salt scrub suggested.

Back