Any thoughts on this IPA?...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghast

Reaction score
This would be my third homebrew, so im pretty new to this... any opinions on the recipe I came up with?

Boil: 6.5 gal
Batch: 5 gal

Mash:
10 lbs Weyermann Pale Ale
3 lbs Weyermann Vienna
1 lb Briess Caramel 60L

Hops:
0.5oz Columbus (60 min)
1oz Mosaic (30 min)
1oz Mosaic (15 min)
1oz Citra and 1oz Mosaic (0 min)

Dry Hop:
2oz Citra and 2oz Mosaic (7 days before bottling day)

Yeast:
Fermentis Safale US-05

Thanks everyone :)

Looks pretty good to me. Kudos to keeping the Columbus bittering at 0.5oz. It's a pretty powerful bittering hop. However, I would nix the 30 minute addition of Mosaic. Mosaic is a great aroma/flavor hop, at 30 minutes you're going to be getting more bitter out of it than flavor/aroma. Move that to 10 minutes, and do another addition at 5 minutes. So like the below:

60 minutes - 0.5oz Columbus
15 minutes - 1oz Mosaic
10 minutes - 1oz Mosaic
(perhaps add another 1oz Mosaic at 5 minutes?, or do 0.5oz each Citra & Mosaic)
Flameout: 1oz each Citra and Mosaic (and do it as a whirlpool if you can, trust me it will make a HUGE difference)

Your dry hops look great. If you're going for a citrusy hop bomb, you've got a great start.

Agree with the above. Would question that much crystal malt...that comment may start a firestorm. Cheers!

Add about about 8 oz of carafoam for head retention. With that amount of hops your beer will need help in that area if you like to have a little foam on the top. Otherwise looks great!

The only change I would try in the original hop schedule would be to move the oz of Mosaic at 30 minutes to 5 minutes.

Looks like a big ol' goodun!!

If you think of it, would be interested to hear what changes you made and how it comes out. Follow up if you think of it please. Sounds delicious.
Thanks for the reply :) . I made the changes seatazz suggested. I will start the brew this saturday, and will updates you guys on how it turned out on this thread.

The brewing went fine, everything seemed okay... the only problem I had was that I expected a 5 gal batch but ended up filling about 4 gal of wort on the fermenter. I though of maybe filling up the fermenter with water to reach the desired 5 gal, but I dont know. I just left it like that, im worried that the dry hopping would suck up even more wort, since I would be adding 4oz of hops... any thoughts on this? Is it possible to over-hop the beer?

It kind of depends on how you plan to package and what you want to achieve. If you are going to keg and want a full keg I’d add a gallon of bottled spring water in first 12 hours after pitching. You will take a hit on whatever gravity you have now but you will yield a full keg of tasty beer.

If you are bottling it depends more on what gravity you got vs what you wanted or want to get. If you are at 1.080 and you were aiming for 1.060 I’d dilute it now.

If you are more than 12 hours after pitching yeast you should not dilute with potentially oxygenated water. Big breweries have supply of deoxygenated water for just this purpose. You could make such water by boiling but I’ve never tried and don’t know how well that would work.

Hope this helps...

If you are more than 12 hours after pitching yeast you should not dilute with potentially oxygenated water. Big breweries have supply of deoxygenated water for just this purpose. You could make such water by boiling but I’ve never tried and don’t know how well that would work.

Hope this helps...
It does have more than 12 hours so... I wont add the water. Thanks! Ill just leave it like that

Last edited:
should always take a taste of your hop tea, its fun to see how much different it tastes at each stage from wort to beer but not carbonated to beer and carbonated

Back